Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:56 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I never understood why someone will pay $20/lb for USDA choice ribeye/porterhouse/ny strip at Whole Foods when I can get the same meat on sale at Jewel or Meijer for $6-8/lb on sale. I do understand that Prime is not available at Jewel or Meijer. It is available at your local butcher or Mariano's for similar prices as Whole Foods ($26/lb).

For those that didn't grow up on a cattle farm, there are 3 grades of meat: select, choice and prime. Govt inspected means select btw (not very good).

Most decent chains will serve USDA choice while higher end like Morton's, Gibsons, Ruth Chris, Sullivan's serve Prime. Btw, why doesn't NWI have more of these high-end steakhouses? There certainly is a market for it. Silly that you guys have to go to Chicago to get a really good steak. Not saying that there is a market to support a bunch of Maestros, Chop House or Chicago Cut but come on. I am sure there are at least a few local steak joints serving really good steak but certainly no high-end chains that I know of.
To answer your question, I think its primarily because the area in general has been historically mostly a basic meat and potatoes place (think select roast beef/ground beef/or pork) where local diners or chains such as Texas roadhouse is the norm for acceptable steak. Most people who are asked would probably say their best steak is cooked at home. We do have some fine-dining local places such as Theo's, Gino's, Teibel's, or the restaurants at some country clubs like Briar Ridge, that serve quality steaks and seafood. I am hoping that we do get upscale chains here. I think it is only a matter of time. Whole Foods squashed a rumor two years ago about them coming to NWI saying that we didn't meet their demographics...look where we are at today! And their opening was very successful! I think this is a game changer for the area and I am excited to see what will become of some of the proposed developments like Centennial Village in Munster. I just hope the developments are done right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 05:10 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,404 times
I would rather have well run local joint over chains any day. A region shouldn't be judged on its lack of chain places. Northwest Indiana could be a place for those who would like to be able to start a business without having to compete against chains from day one. Something like an upscale department store that many here would love to have here, would probably only work as a locally run operation. None of the remaining upscale department store chains modes of operation would work here for long, and most leave pretty quick if things aren't well. It's a hard area to figure out (most won't take the time either), and the areas with lower incomes and the decentralized wealth make it not worth their while.

That said, I love the Dyer location of Texas Roadhouse (haven't been to the Portage one yet), they have been awesome every time I have gone there. Granted they aren't "high" end, but most people don't have "high" end incomes and they "fit" the area very well. It's a good restaurant for a causal dining chain, seems at least whomever is running this location knows what he or she is doing.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Many chains without a Northwest Indiana location often consider the area "served" by its Illinois and/or Chicago location(s). I don't like it any better then you do (Apple store), but it's a fact. They don't seem to understand that Orland Park, Oak Brook or DT Chicago aren't that convenient to NWI residents. Most aren't worth the drive. The lack of zip codes at those locations (credit cards) from our area probably reinforce their thinking there isn't a customer base here. I know it sucks.

Oh, just so people who haven't been, don't go to Teibel's for a steak. They are NOT a steak place. Go for the chicken or fish, they are known for those. Unless they improved their steak offerings lately, their steaks aren't that great.

Has anyone gone to Prime Steakhouse in downtown Crown Point? Looks like a nice place.

Last edited by richb; 10-04-2015 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 07:38 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default I like Texas Roadhouse

The hot rolls are a plus. I wish more places would serve bread out of the oven.

Some locations are better than others. Steak is decent so long as you stick with ribeye or filet. The sirloin tastes like hamburger ( some better burgers are ground sirloin btw). Columbus Indiana has the best managed location I have ever seen for Texas Roadhouse.

Not the best place but not bad for dinner for 2 under 60 bucks. I liked Outback 20 years ago but they seem to have gone downhill significantly since then.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:49 PM

166 posts, read 286,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
To answer your question, I think its primarily because the area in general has been historically mostly a basic meat and potatoes place (think select roast beef/ground beef/or pork) where local diners or chains such as Texas roadhouse is the norm for acceptable steak. Most people who are asked would probably say their best steak is cooked at home. We do have some fine-dining local places such as Theo's, Gino's, Teibel's, or the restaurants at some country clubs like Briar Ridge, that serve quality steaks and seafood. I am hoping that we do get upscale chains here. I think it is only a matter of time. Whole Foods squashed a rumor two years ago about them coming to NWI saying that we didn't meet their demographics...look where we are at today! And their opening was very successful! I think this is a game changer for the area and I am excited to see what will become of some of the proposed developments like Centennial Village in Munster. I just hope the developments are done right!
Predicting Mariano's will open a store or 2 in northwest Indiana in the next 2-3 years. Surely, CEO Robert Mariano is closely monitoring Whole Foods in Schererville. There is still undeveloped land south of Omni 41 in Schererville which is ripe for development.

As this Mariano's article link below states: "It plans to have 34 by the end of 2015 and 39 by the end of 2016. Once there are 45 to 50 Chicagoland locations, Mariano aims to expand the chain into other markets."

Mariano's to open biggest store - Chicago Tribune

Speaking of Whole Foods, predicting it will open east Lake County and/or Porter County locations in the next 2-3 years.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:42 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1064 View Post
Speaking of Whole Foods, predicting it will open east Lake County and/or Porter County locations in the next 2-3 years.
WF have shown interest in Valpo, likely the shopping area east of the university. Maybe they will do some of their smaller less expensive format store they are starting up in 2016. The "365" stores that is.

I don't see Mariano's entering NWI quickly. With Dominick's going belly up last year, Mariano's grabbed up a bunch of their locations, so they have to redo and reopen those before moving on. Though if they buy an existing building here, since they are willing to take a used building, maybe sooner. Though there aren't too many vacant grocery store buildings in NWI at the moment.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:49 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
I would rather have well run local joint over chains any day. A region shouldn't be judged on its lack of chain places. Northwest Indiana could be a place for those who would like to be able to start a business without having to compete against chains from day one. Something like an upscale department store that many here would love to have here, would probably only work as a locally run operation. None of the remaining upscale department store chains modes of operation would work here for long, and most leave pretty quick if things aren't well. It's a hard area to figure out (most won't take the time either), and the areas with lower incomes and the decentralized wealth make it not worth their while.

That said, I love the Dyer location of Texas Roadhouse (haven't been to the Portage one yet), they have been awesome every time I have gone there. Granted they aren't "high" end, but most people don't have "high" end incomes and they "fit" the area very well. It's a good restaurant for a causal dining chain, seems at least whomever is running this location knows what he or she is doing.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Many chains without a Northwest Indiana location often consider the area "served" by its Illinois and/or Chicago location(s). I don't like it any better then you do (Apple store), but it's a fact. They don't seem to understand that Orland Park, Oak Brook or DT Chicago aren't that convenient to NWI residents. Most aren't worth the drive. The lack of zip codes at those locations (credit cards) from our area probably reinforce their thinking there isn't a customer base here. I know it sucks.

Oh, just so people who haven't been, don't go to Teibel's for a steak. They are NOT a steak place. Go for the chicken or fish, they are known for those. Unless they improved their steak offerings lately, their steaks aren't that great.

Has anyone gone to Prime Steakhouse in downtown Crown Point? Looks like a nice place.
I added the seafood part primarily for Teibel's because I have had their steaks and...they are very basic.

Overall, I do understand what you are saying. Believe me, I am a big supporter of locally owned places. However, I look at the big picture of retaining population and keeping areas desirable. There are some stores that I hope come to NWI even though I may not personally shop there. The reasons why I wish this is because I know many others who will shop there and these stores tend to attract other upscale stores that I DO shop at...the more better things come, the better things that come will be! I do believe that WF will open some type of store in the next few years; however, I feel that quite a few residents out there would be pissed if they didn't get "the real deal like Schererville" and instead got the 365 model (even though it might be a very good model...even better than the traditional for that area).

Also, I am REALLY hoping that the Centennial Village development in Munster will be a true game changer for the Region as far as attracting high-end stores. I know that Munster officials are not willing to sacrifice this last piece of development for just any type of store. What do you think?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:03 AM

277 posts, read 442,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Also, I am REALLY hoping that the Centennial Village development in Munster will be a true game changer for the Region as far as attracting high-end stores. I know that Munster officials are not willing to sacrifice this last piece of development for just any type of store. What do you think?
I really do agree with you about Munster being able to demand and draw some top development for itself. I also agree that it's well deserved and is the right thing for it. What I'm not sold on is the impact it will have on anyone other than Munster and the neighboring towns. I don't see flocks of people heading out from Merrillville and Crown Point to go to Munster (not to mention it's not right off the interstate) for a few high end stores. I'm not sure how much "impact" it'll be.

However I could be completely wrong. With enough development that draws a true "shopping experience," it could be more than I'm making it out to be. Maybe it'll even be a catalyst for more high end stores to weave into other densely populated areas throughout NWI after they see something working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana