Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 10:53 AM

829 posts, read 2,091,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Munster landfill reaching its end

Basically, the landfill has not been accepting garbage since 2004 but was still recognized as a landfill even after it was developed into Centennial Park. Now it will officially be solely a park. Removing the fence was part of the certification process (thank goodness!)

I have to admit, that is pretty amazing making a recently closed landfill a useable park. Most landfill areas remain dumps, because it takes an eternity or atleast several decades for the stench to go away enough. I never knew that the huge landfill in munster had ever closed. How do they control the smell at the recently closed landfill? What about the flammable waste gases that are usually emitted from landfills. Aren't there new homes right next to the landfill also? Can the landfill be smelled in the nearby new residential subdivisons? What about the public golf course, can you smell the landfill while you are golfing or eating at the nearby restaurants? I know the smell from the huge landfill along the dan ryan going towards chicago makes me nauseas everytime I drive past it, and that is driving past at 80 mph with all the windows rolled up.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-11-2010 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 11:26 AM

2,158 posts, read 5,502,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I have to admit, that is pretty amazing making a recent landfill a useable park. Most landfill areas remain dumps, because it takes an eternity or atleast several decades for the stinch to go away. I never knew that the huge landfill in munster had ever closed. How do they control the smell at the former recent landfill? What about the flammable waste gases that are usually emitted from landfills. Aren't there new homes right next to the landfill also? Can the landfill be smelled in the nearby new residential subdivisons? What about the public golf course, can you smell the landfill while you are golfing or eating at the nearby restaurants? I know the smell from the huge landfill along the dan ryan going towards chicago makes me nauseas everytime I drive past it, and that is driving past at 80 mph with all the windows rolled up.
Ya I agree, it is amazing! If it were not for the smell sometimes, people would never know a landfill even existed. Let me try to answer your questions:

How do they control the smell at the former recent landfill?

There is one huge flare by the golf ball rental shed that expels pretty much all of the gases that are in the landfill. As far as controlling the smell, it is usually up to the north wind.

What about the flammable waste gases that are usually emitted from landfills?

I am pretty sure (not 100%) that the gases are used to power some of the park. And once again, the flare emitting the gases is away from where anybody would be near so it is safe.

Aren't there new homes right next to the landfill also?

Yes. Directly south of the park/landfill is the "Cobblestones" subdivision. It was mostly developed in the early 1990s but the phase right by the landfill was developed in the early 2000s. There is not really any smell in the subdivision and the house values did not seem to be adversely affected at all. In fact, Cobblestones just developed a brand new park that residents have waited almost 15 years for and I believe it has increased some of the property values a little bit.

Can the landfill be smelled in the nearby new residential subdivisons?

The only subdivision that can smell it is Cobblestones. On the other side of the landfill (where the course is that cannot be seen from the street) is the "Twin Creeks" subdivision. It actually has only one entrance/exit that can only be accessed from White Oak Avenue. Most of that subdivision was developed in the 1980s but I do not believe it has been affected by the smell. I never noticed any smell during the many times i went to Twin Creek. There are not really any other close-by subdivisions in that area that are close enough to be impacted by the smell.

What about the public golf course, can you smell the landfill while you are golfing or eating at the nearby restaurants?

When you are golfing or eating at the restaurants, sometimes you can smell it and sometimes you cannot. I actually think that the absolute WORST time it smells is when you are driving by fast and the windows are down. It is less tolerable than even standing by the flare itself! It's amazing what a whiff of wind can do!

Old 10-11-2010, 12:59 PM

Well, I know middle class/upper middle class grayslake in the northwestern suburbs of chicago also has a landfill that emits a stench that can be smelled in certain areas. I don't think an existing landfill would affect current home values in a community where it has always existed. Because, everyone who lived there before didn't have a problem with it, so why should new residents have a problem with it now. I just thought it was pretty amazing turning a landfill that is still actively decomposing, and emitting a stench and gases into a park so soon. That is a bold move by any standard. Most inactive landfills just remain vacant areas indefinately, or atleast for several decades untill they stop omitting a stench. Beautifying the area immediately after it became inactive, I think would be a pretty common thing for a middle class community that has a landfill to do. But turning it into an area for family outdoor entertainment while it is still emitting a stench is a bold idea, and in my opinion a new one for atleast the chicago metro area. And, I was just wondering how the stench affects those who use the park, the number of people who actually come to the park with there children, the public golf course, etc. I personally, think that it is a smart idea to build parks, new homes, golf courses, buildings, etc. on landfill areas. But, how soon is too soon?

Last edited by allen2323; 10-11-2010 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 02:21 PM

51 posts, read 169,530 times
Hi Allen2323,

You're absolutely right, turning an eyesore like a landfill into an awesome new community park is a very bold idea and should be applauded. Multiple parties (engineers, environmentalists, architects, consultants, town residents, etc.) were all involved in the planning and conversion process and all have received multiple awards and accolades for engineering of the town's newest attraction.

If you visit the park, you will easily see that there are a TON of people (including families) who utilize the amenities and enjoy the addition to the town. As far as the stench, I haven't noticed anything but I live in Chicago and only visit about once a month. In addition, it seems the park planners have taken all possible steps to minimize or mitigate the stench. However, if the amount of foot traffic is any indication, any smell from the landfill must be at least tolerable given how popular the park and home sites around the park are. In fact, this part of the town seems to be one of the areas with the most amount of new residential and commercial construction in Lake County.

As far as how soon is too soon to convert a landfill, not sure anyone on this board can truly answer that question. I would have to assume that if the town of Munster could complete this project in a few years after the landfill was officially closed, then that amount of time was deemed acceptable.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 PM

So does anyone know the exact reason why the garbage dump got closed down anyway? Did it get filled up with trash to capacity or were there starting to be too many complaints about the smell from the more middle class residents in the newly built subdivisions? Has the stench improved any since the dump stop taking any new garbage? The tax dollars collected from having a garbage dump in the town must have been enormous.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-11-2010 at 09:16 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 PM

17,465 posts, read 14,710,390 times
Quote:
So does anyone know the exact reason why the garbage dump got closed down anyway? Did it get filled up with trash to capacity or were there starting to be too many complaints about the smell from the more middle class residents in the newly built subdivisions? Has the stench improved any since it stop taking any new garbage? The tax dollars collected from having a garbage dump in the town must have been enormous.
Munster had planned for 30+ years to close the landfill and turn it into a public park.

It made good on it's promise.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
So does anyone know the exact reason why the garbage dump got closed down anyway? Did it get filled up with trash to capacity or were there starting to be too many complaints about the smell from the more middle class residents in the newly built subdivisions? Has the stench improved any since the dump stop taking any new garbage? The tax dollars collected from having a garbage dump in the town must have been enormous.
Chuckity did a good job of answering the question. But I have to just point one thing out that you said. Not that their class level has much to do with whether residents complained about the dump or not, but while there may be some homes there that are within reach of a few middle class residents (like some of the townhomes or few ranch homes), for the most part, the home prices there are more within reach of upper-middle class residents. And even in Munster, the house size or newness does not tell the whole story. There are many doctors and lawyers and business man who are millionaires but live in very modest homes (i.e. the guy who owns Crazy Kaplan's). Many of the townhomes there are where more elderly people (with money) retired. Doctor Jones, who is a millionaire, lived in one of those townhomes in Cobblestones for a few years before building a huge almost 2 million dollar home in White Oak Estates.But still overall, the majority of residents in Cobblestones are closer to upper-middle class than middle-class. Take a drive there and drive deeper into the subdivision. And look at some of the listings there. The prices are not very "middle-class" friendly.

Homes for sale in Cobblestones:

Home # 1

Home # 2 (this home is the closest one to the dump for sale..however it's price is more-so dictated with the fact that the houses closer to the dump are smaller--and has been on sale for quite some time--and not simply the fact that they are closer to the dump)

Take a drive through and see.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 10-12-2010 at 03:40 AM..

Old 10-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Chuckity did a good job of answering the question. But I have to just point one thing out that you said. Not that their class level has much to do with whether residents complained about the dump or not, but while there may be some homes there that are within reach of a few middle class residents (like some of the townhomes or few ranch homes), for the most part, the home prices there are more within reach of upper-middle class residents. And even in Munster, the house size or newness does not tell the whole story. There are many doctors and lawyers and business man who are millionaires but live in very modest homes (i.e. the guy who owns Crazy Kaplan's). Many of the townhomes there are where more elderly people (with money) retired. Doctor Jones, who is a millionaire, lived in one of those townhomes in Cobblestones for a few years before building a huge almost 2 million dollar home in White Oak Estates.But still overall, the majority of residents in Cobblestones are closer to upper-middle class than middle-class. Take a drive there and drive deeper into the subdivision. And look at some of the listings there. The prices are not very "middle-class" friendly.

Homes for sale in Cobblestones:

Home # 1

Home # 2 (this home is the closest one to the dump for sale..however it's price is more-so dictated with the fact that the houses closer to the dump are smaller--and has been on sale for quite some time--and not simply the fact that they are closer to the dump)

Take a drive through and see.

I think living in a town that owns the regional garbage dump has it's negatives but what are the positives? Mainly the stench, negative image, environmental issues, and the loss of prestige that comes with having a garbage dump in your town are the main negatives. And financial compensation would be the only positive that I could think of. I think most people would agree there. Closing it is definately a good thing, because a garbage dump is not good for the environment or for air quality. Although, our garbage has to go somewhere. I was just wondering if the people in the town even minded having the garbage dump or not in the first place? Was the decision to close the garbage dump based on the newer residents complaining about the stench, or did the dump just get filled to capacity and there was no more room for anymore garbage? Do you think that the town benifited from owning the regional garbage dump and is now in a better position because of it than it's neighbors? Had the town not had a 250 acre garbage dump would the town be better or worse off than it is today?

Last edited by allen2323; 10-12-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 02:39 PM

17,465 posts, read 14,710,390 times
Quote:
Was the decision to close the garbage dump based on the newer residents complaining about the stench, or did the dump just get filled to capacity and there was no more room for anymore garbage?
I don't know why this is so hard for you to comprehend.

When the site was purchased, it was always Munter's long term plan to turn the landfill into a public park.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:11 PM

Thumbs up Calumet Avenue site readied for Munster Shops

[Great] Big news! Groundbreaking has officially begun! Boyer's previous project, Shops on Main in Schererville, never even got this far and is now dead. His new project, "Munster Shops" was "destined to be a failure" but is not actually happening! Very exciting for this to FINALLY happen!!! YES! Here is a link to the article:

Calumet Avenue site readied for Munster Shops

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana