Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 PM

117 posts, read 333,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
And the tax revenue will go to Indiana instead of Illinois.

Sure, Land O Frost may eventually pay some taxes to Indiana. But of course they got a huge tax break and will receive tax payer's money in the form of tax credits to move there in the first place. There entire purpose of moving one town over was to avoid paying state corporate taxes. Offering companies a tax shelter to move will only drain an already economically depressed region as a whole of it's tax base. At the end of the day it's a lose lose situation. They were dutifully paying there corporate taxes to Illinois, like any successful business should. Now Indiana offers them a tax shelter and tax credit incentives to move one town over to indiana. And pay next to nothing in state corporate taxes. All in the name of job creation. Which will be minimum.

In the end, Land o Frost won't be paying anything near what they were paying in Illinois corporate taxes. Lowering there overall contribution to the regional tax base. If they pay anything at all after all the credits and incentives. And very few jobs will be created. So what's the point? The entire region loses another tax base and one way or another everyone will feel the effects of this sort of reckless tax base destabilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,750,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
Sure, Land O Frost may eventually pay some taxes to Indiana. But of course they got a huge tax break and will receive tax payer's money in the form of tax credits to move there in the first place. There entire purpose of moving one town over was to avoid paying state corporate taxes. Offering companies a tax shelter to move will only drain an already economically depressed region as a whole of it's tax base. At the end of the day it's a lose lose situation. They were dutifully paying there corporate taxes to Illinois, like any successful business should. Now Indiana offers them a tax shelter and tax credit incentives to move one town over to indiana. And pay next to nothing in state corporate taxes. All in the name of job creation. Which will be minimum.

In the end, Land o Frost won't be paying anything near what they were paying in Illinois corporate taxes. Lowering there overall contribution to the regional tax base. If they pay anything at all after all the credits and incentives. And very few jobs will be created. So what's the point? The entire region loses another tax base and one way or another everyone will feel the effects of this sort of reckless tax base destabilization.
It appears that you like to slam Indiana every chance you get. If you find Indiana so distasteful, why do you spend so much time in the Indiana forum?

Old 12-23-2012, 06:48 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,237,017 times
Quote:
It appears that you like to slam Indiana every chance you get. If you find Indiana so distasteful, why do you spend so much time in the Indiana forum?
It's like the Illinois version of BRG!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 AM

117 posts, read 333,462 times
Quote:
First of all, because I spend a lot of time in NW Indiana. I live nearby. What I find distasteful in this instance is paying a rich family owned corporation nearly 3 million dollars in tax incentive to set up a tax shelter less than a mile away. And then putting out a press release bragging about bringing 40 already existing white collar employees a mile away to indiana. As if that is some sort of net gain. I guess if you are able to take something from the other state it's a political win. Sure they might end up hiring a couple dozen new janitors and office staff for the new office building that tax payers will be helping to pay for. The company itself said they have no plans on moving there Lansing facility to indiana. Just there corporate headquarters consisting of 40 already existing employees. So why the huge tax incentive just to spite there neighbor? I just found the press release to be completely distasteful.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 PM

2,158 posts, read 5,502,046 times
Default Update

More great news! Ranked again!

Top Indiana High Schools | Best High Schools | US News

Old 04-26-2013, 11:24 AM

811 posts, read 2,340,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post

Lists like these are always interesting to dig into. I'd never say these lists are perfect, but I think they're relatively accurate and I like them because they give us a decent comparison between schools in different states by looking at the national ranking and measures we can compare.

Anyone who follows this forum knows people coming from Illinois often times ask about schools and how schools in Indiana stack up against those in Illinois. Well, this list lets us compare at least Munster and Lake Central to Illinois schools (can't compare other NWI schools as they don't have the national rankings listed). According to this list, here are some Illinois schools that US News ranks Munster and LC AHEAD OF:

Munster ranked higher than: Hoffman Estates, York, Wheeling, Wheaton Warrenville South, Naperville North, Naperville Central, Glenbard South, Downers North, St. Charles East, Wheaton North, Lake Zurich, Schaumberg, Waubonsie Valley, and those listed below

Lake Central ranked higher than: Downers South, Batavia, Stagg, Bartlett, Buffalo Grove, Carl Sandburg, Crystal Lake Central, Crete-Monee, Geneva, Glenbard East, Glenbrook South, Hinsdale South, Homewood Flossmoor, Lemont Township High, Lyons Township, Lincoln-way West Central and North.

So, can residents of any of the Illinois districts listed above say they get better value for their taxdollar than those living in these two Indiana districts? Just sayin...

Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Lists like these are always interesting to dig into. I'd never say these lists are perfect, but I think they're relatively accurate and I like them because they give us a decent comparison between schools in different states by looking at the national ranking and measures we can compare.

Anyone who follows this forum knows people coming from Illinois often times ask about schools and how schools in Indiana stack up against those in Illinois. Well, this list lets us compare at least Munster and Lake Central to Illinois schools (can't compare other NWI schools as they don't have the national rankings listed). According to this list, here are some Illinois schools that US News ranks Munster and LC AHEAD OF:

Munster ranked higher than: Hoffman Estates, York, Wheeling, Wheaton Warrenville South, Naperville North, Naperville Central, Glenbard South, Downers North, St. Charles East, Wheaton North, Lake Zurich, Schaumberg, Waubonsie Valley, and those listed below

Lake Central ranked higher than: Downers South, Batavia, Stagg, Bartlett, Buffalo Grove, Carl Sandburg, Crystal Lake Central, Crete-Monee, Geneva, Glenbard East, Glenbrook South, Hinsdale South, Homewood Flossmoor, Lemont Township High, Lyons Township, Lincoln-way West Central and North.

So, can residents of any of the Illinois districts listed above say they get better value for their taxdollar than those living in these two Indiana districts? Just sayin...
Yea, it is interesting and I like to see schools on there, but I do know that it's not the end all be all...but what I like about this list is that it does look at how these schools educate ALL subsets of students. For example: in Illinois, I did not see New Trier listed and in Indiana, I did not see Zionsville listed...these two schools are both regarded as amongst the top (and some people refer as THE top) schools in their respective states. However, they are very homogenous schools that really don't have enough differences in race, class, etc. to really see how well they would be able to educate a diverse group of students. Not that most people would care anyway, but it is something to at least think about when I school does not have this challenge.

I would say for schools, you would definitely get a better education dollar for dollar in Munster and Lake Central when compared to the schools that they ranked higher than. However, when comparing communities as a whole, there are a lot of tradeoffs too. But I am glad you took the time to write your post because it really puts things into perspective!

Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM

811 posts, read 2,340,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Yea, it is interesting and I like to see schools on there, but I do know that it's not the end all be all...but what I like about this list is that it does look at how these schools educate ALL subsets of students. For example: in Illinois, I did not see New Trier listed and in Indiana, I did not see Zionsville listed...these two schools are both regarded as amongst the top (and some people refer as THE top) schools in their respective states. However, they are very homogenous schools that really don't have enough differences in race, class, etc. to really see how well they would be able to educate a diverse group of students. Not that most people would care anyway, but it is something to at least think about when I school does not have this challenge.

I would say for schools, you would definitely get a better education dollar for dollar in Munster and Lake Central when compared to the schools that they ranked higher than. However, when comparing communities as a whole, there are a lot of tradeoffs too. But I am glad you took the time to write your post because it really puts things into perspective!
I did see New Trier on the Illinois list at #12. Not seeing Zionsville on the Indiana list is strange, they're definitely near the top. I know my point was quite demonstrative and comparing schools across borders is still pretty subjective. But, I was just trying to prove the point that the gap in quality between the better Chicago suburb schools vs better NWI schools is slim to none. A kid who wants to learn with parents that care will be able to get a great education in NWI. You're right though I was trying to stay specific to taxes paid to schools and that comparison. There are certainly some Illinois town where they pay a ton in property taxes and the town overall is extremely desirable because of it.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 PM

Default Update!

The referendum has passed by about a 2:1 margin! In addition, EVERY precinct in town voted in favor! That says a lot as some precincts have significantly less school-aged children than others!

Munster school referendum passes easily

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 05-07-2013 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM

Default Centennial Village/Munste Steel/45th-Calument Reallignment Plan Update

So this is the proposed timeline for this project. Looks good!

Munster Steel - Centennial Village Discussion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana