Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 AM

58 posts, read 228,080 times

Advertisements

Region Aire...I wasn't trying to offend you. I am simply stating the facts. Munster has older/outdated homes at much higher prices than the newer/nicer houses in Dyer, Schererville and St. John. As far as taxes go, I don't know where you came up with that. My taxes for a 2200 sq ft house in St. John are much lower than smaller houses in Munster. As far as schools go, Munster is a good school system, but it's marginally better, at best, than Lake Central.

Besides, why would I want to live on the border of Hammond (not a great town) and Lansing (turning into not a great town) and pay a ton of $ when I can go further south and be surrounded by great towns for a lot less $...

OPSMAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM

863 posts, read 2,773,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSMAN View Post
Region Aire...I wasn't trying to offend you. I am simply stating the facts. Munster has older/outdated homes at much higher prices than the newer/nicer houses in Dyer, Schererville and St. John. As far as taxes go, I don't know where you came up with that. My taxes for a 2200 sq ft house in St. John are much lower than smaller houses in Munster. As far as schools go, Munster is a good school system, but it's marginally better, at best, than Lake Central.

Besides, why would I want to live on the border of Hammond (not a great town) and Lansing (turning into not a great town) and pay a ton of $ when I can go further south and be surrounded by great towns for a lot less $...

OPSMAN
I'd take an "older/outdated" home in Munster over any of those "newer/nicer" thrown together homes in those other three towns anyday. The school system in Munster is not just "good", it's great. Lake Central is nothing to sneeze at, but it's not on par with Munster. Also, being bordered by what you call "not great" towns doesn't seem to have hurt Munster. The crime rate has steadily dropped over the last several years.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,721,289 times
It's all about Location. In Munster, you are much closer to Chicago, for anyone who wants to commute. Lot sof people would much rather have an older home with character than a new home that looks like all of its neighbors. Big trees are another plus to older homes in Munster. My grandparents live on a gorgeous tree-lined street in Munster, in a great location.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,306,777 times
I wouldn't get stuck on the 'better schools' theme with regards to Munster. Munster and Lake Central are both large public schools (LC being larger). They both have graduates who do well in life and those who do poorly. It's not the school that's going to make the difference in this case. A motivated student at LC will outperform a slacker at MHS any day! It's not like all MHS graduates are successful.
I'd also rather have a newer home with more modern amenities and less capital needed for upgrades in Dyer/St John/S'ville than an older home in Munster that's much more likely to run into problems by virtue of its age. There is something to be said for 'character' and not living in sterile suburbia with the cookie cutter houses, Target, chain restaurants, etc but at the end of the day it's nice to have a more modern and reliable home.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:55 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,721,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
... but at the end of the day it's nice to have a more modern and reliable home.
In your opinion. As a Realtor, I run into people everyday who would rather live in an older home and stay as far away as possible from new construction.

In my opinion, growing up in 'Da Region, I prefer Munster for many reasons. I don't think there's enough to do in St. John, I think traffic on Route 30 in Merrillville makes me crazy, and I (as a former teacher) think that Munster offers better schools. It is closer to Chicago, and anything I would need is within 5 minutes. I prefer a more city-like environment. To me, St. John is too far out in the boonies.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:24 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,575,823 times
We have run the gambit. We built new in 1998, then, in 2000, we moved into a house built in 97, then in 2003, we purchased a house built in 2000 and now we live in a house built in 1992. Let me tell you, the house we live in now, the one built in 1992 is by far the most well built, solid house. The windows are Andersen and they are in great shape. No insulation problems, dry dry dry basement. Plus, the home that we built new ... some are fooled into thinking that a new home means no expenses ... BS!!! Paint, landscaping, window treatments ... in some cases, mirrors, shower and towel bars ... those expenses don't figure into the bottom line price for a new home.

Our neighborhood is established ...TREES, great neighbors. Nope, give me an older, better constructed home in an established neighborhood anyday than a cookie cutter ticky tack subdivision.

As for schools ... in this day and age, kids need every advantage they can get. So, if you can afford Munster, I'd go with Munster, but it's proximity to Gary is disheartening and that alone may preclude us from buying there if we ever move back to civilization. Sure, if your child is a top student, they will do well wherever, but if they are a top student and move into Munster and continue to be a top student, they'll be in a better position than the top LC student. That's not saying that LC schools are skid schools because they're not, you really can't compare Munster because they are consistenly a top school system for the state. Are they better than Crown Point? That would be a better comparison.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
So, if you can afford Munster, I'd go with Munster, but it's proximity to Gary is disheartening and that alone may preclude us from buying there if we ever move back to civilization.
I don't understand this. Gary is not close enough to Munster to have any impact on everyday life, or any impact whatsoever.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:32 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,306,777 times
I'll agree that everyone has their own preferences. That's fair enough. If someone is inclined to move to Munster, they shouldn't be too worried about it being close to Gary which may lead to its decline. Munster is relatively expensive for the region, so it's unlikely that the problems in Gary (and the people responsible for them) will move to Munster.
CP schools might be 'equivalent' to Munster but, IMO, most of the schools in this area are adequate. I just don't think the school itself is as big a factor (so long as the environment for learning is safe). Most of the rest is up to the student and his/her family.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:46 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,575,823 times
I agree with you LIS!!! I really do! The LC schools are getting better and better. They seem to be handling the booming growth of that area very well! But, if you look at stats (groan groan groan), Munster is better and that will attract some to the area for that reason alone.

As for the Gary/Munster connection, a former neighbor of ours was with a Marshall and he said that petty theft and crime have gone up in Munster due to it's proximity not only to Gary, but to Hammond and the south burbs of Chicago. I was surprised too, but since he was in law enforcement .... who am I to argue?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
As for the Gary/Munster connection, a former neighbor of ours was with a Marshall and he said that petty theft and crime have gone up in Munster due to it's proximity not only to Gary, but to Hammond and the south burbs of Chicago. I was surprised too, but since he was in law enforcement .... who am I to argue?
That seems a bit alarmist (of him, not you) and convenient to me. Crime rising? Let's blame Gary! If City-Data stats are to be believed, Munster has a very low crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana