Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 PM

71 posts, read 227,902 times

Advertisements

"A motivated student at LC will outperform a slacker at MHS any day! It's not like all MHS graduates are successful."

As an MHS slacker, I successfully slept through two years of college based on my "marginally" better-than-LC education. (Digression: Of course that was back in the 80's when political correctness hadn't yet affected the quality of learning). My mid-class ranking certainly did not ensure success, but it sure seems better than a similarly ranked LC graduate.

Simply put, the professionals that live in Munster have higher expectations for their children's educational performance. That's why Munster has always been among the TOP ranked schools in the entire state. As other towns attract more highly compensated professionals (doctors, lawyers, engineers), a similar effect will happen. It's just that Munster has always had that locus of high achievers and probably always will.

I still heartily disagree with both the Gary proximity argument and the shabby housing argument. I'd almost rather have a house that has already had everything repaired than one that will (My new house notwithstanding).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 AM

58 posts, read 228,717 times
"Simply put, the professionals that live in Munster have higher expectations for their children's educational performance."

RegionAire...that may be the most ignorant sentence I've heard in a long time. With that ridiculous blanket statement (which is nothing more than your narrow-minded opinion), you have alienated all of the other mentioned suburbs as parents that don't care about the educational development of their children as much as the snooty Munster residents. Thank you for proving my point that Munster residents think they're the cream of the crop and everyone else is inferior.

By the way, congratulations on sleeping through school and relying on the "good" name of the Munster school system to carry you through. That's the kind of person I want working for me.

Check back in a few years when Munster had socially and economically declined due to gentrification. South Holland, Calumet City, Lansing, South Hammond, Highland, even Gary....they all USED to be nice as well. Take care....

OPSMAN

Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSMAN View Post
"
By the way, congratulations on sleeping through school and relying on the "good" name of the Munster school system to carry you through. That's the kind of person I want working for me.
don't get ticked, it's true! Colleges these days assign points to each applicant based on what high school they attend. Hey, I don't like it either.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSMAN View Post
Check back in a few years when Munster had socially and economically declined due to gentrification. South Holland, Calumet City, Lansing, South Hammond, Highland, even Gary....they all USED to be nice as well.
If (and that's a BIG if) that happens to Munster, what towns do you think will suffer right along with it? Dyer, Schereville, and St. John.

Also, South Holland, Lansing, and Highland are still nice towns.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
That seems a bit alarmist (of him, not you) and convenient to me. Crime rising? Let's blame Gary! If City-Data stats are to be believed, Munster has a very low crime rate.
I think we can all agree that Gary, most of it anyway, is now inhabited by "poor" people. Therefore if someone wanted to be a thief, there isnt alot of value left in gary to steal. So, where will the thieves go to ply thier trade? Where the value is of coarse! Munster, Highland,Dyer etc. So it wont suprise me if the crime rate goes up in the Munster area.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:10 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Gary and Munster aren't that close. You still need to go through Griffith and Highland to go from Gary to Munster. Many (if not most) 'nice' neighborhoods are within that distance of 'bad' neighborhoods. I wouldn't let that stop me from Munster, though I would choose other towns at this stage anyway.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:58 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
Remember also that there is a big difference between the northern parts of Munster along the river and newer areas such as those south of 45th!

How many of you think that Munster will go on the way of Lansing? Is it something inevitable or can it be held back like in some other IL suburbs?

Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Remember also that there is a big difference between the northern parts of Munster along the river and newer areas such as those south of 45th!

How many of you think that Munster will go on the way of Lansing? Is it something inevitable or can it be held back like in some other IL suburbs?
What's "the way of Lansing"?

Old 02-13-2008, 01:25 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
What's "the way of Lansing"?
go here for more on Lansing:

Lansing Is going Down the dumps...

Old 02-13-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
go here for more on Lansing:

Lansing Is going Down the dumps...
I heartily participated in that thread. I know it well. As a current resident of Lansing, I disagreed with the OP and another person who agrees with that assessment. If you read it, you will see that I provided facts and verifiable observations to refute the Lansing detractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana