Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,353,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSMAN View Post
Well said SoHoVe....

OPSMAN
Though some homes are middle class, there are some that are upper class.
Guess you haven't seen those....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,442,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
With excellent schools.
And beautiful women!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 AM

58 posts, read 228,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Though some homes are middle class, there are some that are upper class.
Guess you haven't seen those....
Hey Wild West...I've been in Lansing/Munster all my life. Trust me, I've seen all there is to see in Munster and it's nothing special. High priced/overrated homes, old/outdated retail stores, and OH YEA, good schools I forgot.

If you want to see upper class homes, go to Briar Ridge (DYER, SCHERERVILLE). That's upper class, not White Oak buddy.

OPSMAN

Old 02-18-2008, 12:19 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,316,718 times
I think Munster is overrated as well, but it's inaccurate to say that the Southern section of Munster (White Oak Estates, Meadows of Saint George, parts of Cobblestone and the new Park West) are not upper class. The houses are very expensive and many rival or surpass those in Briar Ridge. I'd say BR is still clearly the nicer place to live, but those parts of Munster are upper class. I don't imagine too many middle class folks moving into those homes.
Munster is weak in terms of retail and dining options vs. S'ville/Dyer/SJ

Old 02-19-2008, 11:55 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,353,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSMAN View Post
Hey Wild West...I've been in Lansing/Munster all my life. Trust me, I've seen all there is to see in Munster and it's nothing special. High priced/overrated homes, old/outdated retail stores, and OH YEA, good schools I forgot.

If you want to see upper class homes, go to Briar Ridge (DYER, SCHERERVILLE). That's upper class, not White Oak buddy.

OPSMAN
Guess we got a difference of opinion buddy.
As mentioned, some parts are indeed upper class
Sure, it might be somewhat overpriced and retail is weak (who wants big box stores anyway), but I still say Munster is a very good environment to live in and a great bedroom community with the easiest access to I-80/94-metro area

Old 02-26-2008, 12:04 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,635,421 times
Munster does indeed have one unique feature you will not find in either Dyer or Schererville...a landfill!!!

Makes it kinda special huh?

A few nice pockets of upscale homes do not make Munster any less over rated. As others have mentioned Schereville and Dyer have some nice homes. Crown point has some nice homes AND a charming square. St John has some very nice neighborhoods as well.

Aside from the landfill what sets Munster apart?

I am really curious about this so PLEASE fill me in?

Explain to me what Munster has to offer that the others do not.

It is closer to the expressway but also closer to some rapidly declining areas.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:20 AM

58 posts, read 228,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Munster does indeed have one unique feature you will not find in either Dyer or Schererville...a landfill!!!

A few nice pockets of upscale homes do not make Munster any less over rated. As others have mentioned Schereville and Dyer have some nice homes. Crown point has some nice homes AND a charming square. St John has some very nice neighborhoods as well.

I'm with ya 100% SoHoVe! Take a drive down Calumet Ave. in the summer time and tell me those people in the adjacent "upper class" neighborhoods enjoy the STENCH coming from the landfill. They've been saying it's going to be a golf course for about 8 years now...yea right.

The Munster faithful always come back to the same reason that their town is superior....the schools. And I could understand their argument if the other schools (Crown Point and Lake Central) were subpar, but they're not. They are all very good school systems, they're just not recognized as much as Munster. There's also a lot of history there that the other schools don't have yet. I think it's safe to say, in a matter of a few years, you'll start to see Lake Central and Crown Point outpace Munster in school reputation.

Good post by the way SoHoVe....well said.

OPSMAN

Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 AM

371 posts, read 1,006,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
I don't understand this. Gary is not close enough to Munster to have any impact on everyday life, or any impact whatsoever.
+1

I grew up in Griffith and it was close enough to feel Gary's influence back then...it is even worse now of course...Munster is far enough away...for now...

Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 AM

371 posts, read 1,006,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post

Munster has really nice neighborhoods and is closer to the IL border for those Sunday beer runs!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:31 PM

10 posts, read 38,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
I love it. I do most of my shopping at Strack and Van Til (on Ridge Rd.) and Target (on Calumet Ave). I like driving down Ridge Road east of Calumet and looking at the beautiful homes (on the south side of the street). I frequently take advantage of the cheap gas (well cheaper than on my side of the border). I don't know if I would move there, though. My heart belongs to the city, so if we ever make a move, I hope it would be back to Chicago.
I was born in Lansing and left there in 1984 a year after graduation from South.. I remember Strack and Van Til.. I cant belive its still there.. I live in Louisiana now and havnt been home since 1993 for my 10 yr reunion.. So many memories.. I remember when pop (been down south for so long we call it soda.. havnt called it pop in over 20 years..lol) came in the 8 pack glass returnable bottles and you returned the bottles in the carrier and got 85cents back 10 cent a bottle and 5 cents for the carton.. I remember it was Diet Rite Cola or Pepsi.. never ever any Coke in the house ever..lol
The janitor from my elementary school Lester Crawl worked there as a carry out for years.. Mr. Andy. He never hestisated to give me and my mom the biggest smile and hug when we came into the store.. He was the sweetest man..
I'm going down memory lane now.. and the tears are swelling up fast.. lol
If anyone else remembers these things and cares to chat.. plz dont hestitate to send me a email.. I'd be more then happy to chat with someone from back home.. !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana