Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,342,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes2010169 View Post
I have lived in munster, dyer, crown point l, merriville and now schererville as well as 6 states including the top three wealthiest per capita income. So I have experienced and lived with the upper class. Munster is by far the classiest and nicest overall town in northwest Indiana it is number the number 1 town per capita income in Indiana. Dyer is the second classiest followed by crown point and then schererville. <mod cut ... racist> Sure there are 25 million dollar homes in briar ridge but most are older and tired homes with the median house value a slumping 450 thousand at best. People can't sell homes in there as quick as the munster white oak area. And now with park west which is homes 800 thousand and up noone can beat munster. Briar ridge residents pay tuition to go to munster schools. And the garbage dump is now a 9 hole golf course. So yeah Munster is best.

I wouldn't rate Munster as significantly better than the towns that feed into Lake Central (Schererville, Dyer and St John). A very large portion of Munster can be just as easily described as 'old and tired,' as in the entire town save the more modern southern subdivisions (White Oak, St George, Parkwest, Cobblestone, Summerset).

If you look at where growth is, a lot is in St John and Dyer. Even the formerly empty spaces in Schererville are all filled up now. It wasn't that long ago that the area near Showplace in S'ville had nothing; now it has a lot. Plus the area with the Holiday Inn express, etc.

I'm not saying avoid Munster, but I wouldn't rate is as a hands-down better place than some of the other nice communities in NWI (Crown Point included).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 AM

811 posts, read 2,340,967 times
great post LIS, I couldn't agree more. I don't think it's accurate to say that Munster is the class of the area and no questions asked th best town. It does have beautiful subdivisions, but so do most towns. the reason it has the highest propert value is MAINLY due to it's close proximity to Chicago. Just because it's closer to te city doesn't mean it's a nicer town than the Lake Central towns. if you take a drove through the majority of Munster, you'll see houses built in the 50s and 60s that can use a LOT of updating. Like LIS said, there's almost no more room for growth in Munster, it's nearly saturated. Whereas Dyer St John and Schererville have a lot of areas where growth can occur.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 AM

2,158 posts, read 5,502,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
great post LIS, I couldn't agree more. I don't think it's accurate to say that Munster is the class of the area and no questions asked th best town. It does have beautiful subdivisions, but so do most towns. the reason it has the highest propert value is MAINLY due to it's close proximity to Chicago. Just because it's closer to te city doesn't mean it's a nicer town than the Lake Central towns. if you take a drove through the majority of Munster, you'll see houses built in the 50s and 60s that can use a LOT of updating. Like LIS said, there's almost no more room for growth in Munster, it's nearly saturated. Whereas Dyer St John and Schererville have a lot of areas where growth can occur.
I think that the high property values in Munster is MAINLY due to it's close proximity to Chicago AND to the school system. If it was only MAINLY its proximity, then the same house in Hammond should cost more. However, we know that the condition of Hammond schools reduce property values as well, so it only makes sense that the property values in Munster (a town with even less access to Chicago than Hammond) would be higher due to the schools. Some of the amenities (Munster Pool, Centennial Park, etc) also help the property values stay up. The average property values in the tri-town area (as a whole) are below Munster's but not by a whole lot. But in this case, the main reason would be because of the greater distance one has to travel for certain things (entertainment in Chicago for example). The schools are really not far behind Munster at all, and because they still have good schools, the property values are still pretty high.

As far as your statement about the homes in Munster that can use updating; I would not say that the majority of homes NEED to be updated as the majority of the older homes (like in Wicker Park Estates) are pretty well kept...However, once you get north of Ridge Road and west of Manor Avenue, then I 100% agree that many of those homes need help..a lot of it..

Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 PM

Default Munster's Subdivisions (with available homesites)

For anybody who is interested or curious,

The following is a list of the newer subdivisions that still have homesites available:

Community Estates

Estates of White Oak

Park West

West Lakes of Munster

The following is a list of some of the more established but still relatively new (post 1990) subdivisions in Munster that have some homesites left (although some of the vacant homesites may not be for sale right now):

Briar Creek

Cobblestone

Meadows of St. George

Somerset

White Oak Estates

Another subdivision that still has a few homesites but was mostly developed by 1990:

Twin Creek

The following subdivision was mostly developed by the 1980s but has a cul-de-sac that was recently created to accomodate a few more upscale homesites:

Hill & Vale

Old 04-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Default Long Overdue!

Hopefully this will help stabilize the property values in Munster (specifically, in the northwest section of town)...I believe all landlords and towns deserve the right to do this..afterall, the landlord owns the property

Munster tightens rental property rules

Old 06-01-2010, 12:29 PM

37 posts, read 67,159 times
Default Hello Everyone!

Greetings all!

My wife and I have decided to move to Munster, Indiana. We are originally from the Chicago area and 15 years ago, made the move to Carmel, IN after we both graduated from IU-Bloomington and got married. We really like Carmel, but as we talk about our lives down the road, we really want to be as close to Chicago as possible while still living in Indiana. Also, my parents recently moved to St. John from Valparaiso, so I would like to be close to them as well as also close to Chicago (and Tinley Park where her parents live), so Munster was the right choice for us. We have 8 year old twins, a 3 year old, and a 2 year old, so schools are a top priority. We have heard that Munster schools are not only still one of the top schools in NWI, but have also experienced the most minimal effects during the recent budget crisis for k-12 education. Also, my two oldest are into swimming and the new aquatic center that the high school is building seems like it will be a very good asset!

Ideally, we would like to tear down an old home and build new so that we could live in a new home in an established area and still be seconds from the expressway. We have looked in Wicker Park Estates and LOVE it! There are a couple of really small old homes that are for sale and we would like to build on that land. However, my wife is thinking that maybe it would be easier and more practical to build in a newer development (such as Park West) that is still reasonably close to the expressway. What do you all think?

My price range is about $1,100,000 to construct new in Park West (including land) and about $750,000 to $800,000 if I were to construct in Wicker Park Estates (as the home would probably be smaller).

Any advice for us? Thanks for the help! looking forward to moving soon!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:58 PM

I would like to add that my maximum price range (1.1 mil) is including the cost of land for Park West and (750k - 800k) for Wicker Park Estates, including land/teardown purchase (if that helps).

Old 06-01-2010, 05:00 PM

815 posts, read 3,002,084 times
If you would like to be in an more established area of Munster without having to raze an old house, check out the hill and vale subdivision. Its just south of ridge road (look for the low stone wall with the name on it). Its mostly surrounded by older subdivisions. There should be a lot or two left, I can check if you would like.

Park West should also be very nice when its completed. Its the only gated subdivision in Munster. The area around it is mostly completed, so you wouldn't be in a sea of construction. Park West will be likely the last larger sized new subdivision in that part of town.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Thank you very much! I have actually seen the sign for Hill & Vale but for some reason, it never crossed my mind to check it out. I will have to take a look! Thank you again!

Old 06-05-2010, 08:29 AM

Default Welcome to Munster!

I agree with what Richb has said. If you still want to live in an Established area (without the hassle of the teardown process), I would buy one of the last few lots in Hill & Vale...Also, when Park West is completed, it will not only have the feel of an exclusive and secluded area, but it will grow into a very nice mature community...So if it something you're willing to wait for, I would invest.

Just a side note: if you wanted to do a teardown and rebuild, Some places in Wicker Park Estates may prove difficult because although many of the homes are old, they are very spacious and pretty "1950s modern". For a teardown, your best option would be the northwest area of Munster (north of Ridge Road & west of Manor Avenue)....that area could use a lot of new infill development. Who knows, the town may even offer incentives to do so. I would highly advise that you look into it. If not a primary property, at least as an investment property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana