Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times

Advertisements

Munster was my past hometown.
There are many people that inquire about this small town near Chicago.
What are your thoughts on Munster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 02:34 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
I grew up in Highland, right on the boarder between it and Munster. My grandparents still live in Munster and I have sepnt LOTS of time there, though I now live in Indy. I think it is truly beautiful, and so convenient to Chicago.

I love Munster, If we had a job there and the money, I would move there in a heartbeat.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:13 AM

863 posts, read 2,785,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Munster was my past hometown.
There are many people that inquire about this small town near Chicago.
What are your thoughts on Munster?
I love it. I do most of my shopping at Strack and Van Til (on Ridge Rd.) and Target (on Calumet Ave). I like driving down Ridge Road east of Calumet and looking at the beautiful homes (on the south side of the street). I frequently take advantage of the cheap gas (well cheaper than on my side of the border). I don't know if I would move there, though. My heart belongs to the city, so if we ever make a move, I hope it would be back to Chicago.

Last edited by skyeINIL; 01-28-2008 at 04:03 AM..

Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
lets see if my memory still works; going west on ridge road-east glen park-west glen park-calumet[where there used to be a place called RAILROAD SALVAGE]-griffith-highland-munster[where i fell in love with a young lady named Janice Matyska years ago]and then maybe hammond. Did i get it right?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Munster is nice, but is getting crowded and expensive. A lot of the houses are old and still relatively expensive. People like it b/c of 'good schools' but there's no reason one could not do just as well from the Lake Central or Crown Point system. I'd choose Schererville, Dyer or Saint John. These communities aren't quite as crowded yet (though they will be in time) and have more new housing than Munster. They're probably not that much cheaper, but I just feel like things are a little less cramped in this area than Munster.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
WILD WEST DUDE,
Do you know/remember where the Little Store on White Oak Ave. is?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:40 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
WILD WEST DUDE,
Do you know/remember where the Little Store on White Oak Ave. is?
Yes, it barely rings a bell.....visited it during my high school days

I also remember a small little country style house at the NE corner of Fisher and Calumet Ave. I remember chickens running around that property.
It was probably the last remaining stronghold of old little Munster before it became part of Community Park and before becoming very urban. Must have been around 1980 when they demolished it

here's a bit of info on Munster:

Town of Munster ~ Living in Munster

Last edited by WildWestDude; 01-29-2008 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 AM

58 posts, read 228,730 times
Munster is nice...but the residents are stuck up and the houses are way overpriced. You're much better off going south to Dyer, Schererville and Saint John where you get more house for the same money...AND you're farther away from Hammond and Gary.

Munser used to be the nicest town in NW Indiana, but that's when Dyer and Saint John were still corn fields. Now the houses and schools in those towns are way better than Munster's old brick tract houses.

I think parts of Munster are pretty (I grew up in Lansing, IL), but it has been left in the dust by the other up and coming towns to the south and southeast.

OPSMAN

Old 02-11-2008, 02:52 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Nice post. I agree. Why buy an older house in Munster that requires fixing up when you could get a newer one in Dyer, S'ville or Saint John for around the same amount? Essentially, the only land left in Munster is Park West (White Oak, just south of 45th) and moving there will cost a LOT of money! That area of Munster has gone from nothing to a pain to drive through. It'll be much worse when Park West is done...

Old 02-11-2008, 05:53 PM

71 posts, read 227,934 times
Default Huh?

Tract housing? Maybe at the far end near Hammond, but your assertion is ridiculous. Yes, Munster is developmentally locked in and really has nowhere else to build so the housing stock is getting long in the tooth. However, the houses are all well maintained, updated, and command a better price. They command a better price because of the location and the schools. The property taxes are also generally lower in Munster than in any of the other towns you have cited because all the public amenities have already been built. No new schools or fire houses need to be added for a population that has nowhere to grow. Even with inflated housing prices, Munster is a steal for anyone looking to move into one of the best school districts in the state (and schools do count even if you don't have kids because of the premium it adds to house prices).

Last edited by RegionAire; 02-11-2008 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana