Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:56 PM

10 posts, read 60,981 times

Advertisements

Congratulations on your upcoming move! I am a resident in Schererville, which is right next to Dyer. I've traveled across the entire country and Dyer's traffic is hardly considered horrible. During the evening rush hour, the traffic builds up (as it would anywhere) but it's not what I would call bumper-to-bumper. Once in a while you might have to wait through a stop light twice before going through, but that is only between 4:30-6:00pm and still only happens rarely. Any other time of the day is smooth sailing. US 30 is a four lane highway with only about four stop lights in Dyer. There is one railroad crossing on US 30, which is used 2-4 times a day. Dyer is about a 40 minute drive to downtown Chicago via US 30 to IL-394 to I-94.

Schererville is very nice too and puts you closer to more of the commercial areas. Here, there is a Wal-Mart, Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, grocery stores, Old Navy, and a new upscale mall which will be complete in Nov 2008 and will include a Barnes and Noble, Banana Republic, DSW, Portillos, and many other high end retailers. US 41 is more congested, but is still a 4 lane highway with 17 stop lights between US 30 and I-80/94 in Hammond. It's about 6.5 miles and takes about 12 minutes to drive with no traffic, and 20-25 minutes during the after work rush. but it's still not bumper-to-bumper. The drive from Dyer to Hammond would never take longer than 20 minutes, unless caught by a traffic accident or a train. If someone is traveling to the north part of Hammond near Lake Michigan, it will take about 30 minutes. Taxes are much lower in Indiana than in Illinois. Lake Central and Munster have the best school districts. Highland isn't a bad choice either if you stay away from flooded areas. Anywhere between 45th Ave and Main Street is nice (closer to Munster than Griffith). Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:07 PM

71 posts, read 228,332 times
Default Trafic nonsense

ANY suburban area has its moments of heavy traffic, and the timing is predictable. There are two major 4 lane US highways transecting the area, so there is a high volume associated with that occasionally. The "commute" to Hammond is a breeze. From Dyer, Chicago is only 45 minutes away just off an adjacent expressway. The iffy reputation of the Lake Central school system would be higher on my list of concerns (although it has made positive strides),as would living just over the state line from a low income haven. Having said that, Dyer is a nice little town that actually has it's stuff together commercially and looks to be on the upswing IMO.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:03 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,343,927 times
I wouldn't worry about NWI being near poor areas in IL. It doesn't affect us much, if at all. I think anyone can do fine coming from Lake Central schools. The hard part is, NWI isn't the place with the world's most motivated people. Your children can get distracted by their classmates, even at a young age. If you're a responsible parent and teach your children the value of doing well in school, they'll do fine.
Dyer and Schererville have a lot of new commercial activity. Hopefully, it doesn't go too upscale and become snooty. Plus, people here aren't THAT rich. It's certainly better than the nearby towns in IL. It does make 41 pretty (Main-to-30) crowded, whereas it wasn't as bad before.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 PM

801 posts, read 2,569,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
The hard part is, NWI isn't the place with the world's most motivated people.
I liked your statement. It made me smile.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VATXLAMOM View Post
We are considering a move and looking for a good area for a family with a young elementary age child. I'm a former elementary teacher (who would like to go back to teaching again soon) and Dad would be commuting to Hammond. We need a safe, family area. We want a single family home. I was checking out some of the other towns mentioned on this site for NW Indiana as well as some of the south suburbs of Chicago like Homewood. I came across Dyer, IN. I've seen the name mentioned on this site, but not really any information about it. I did find the town website and looked at (online) some houses for sale in the area and price range. Is anyone familiar with this town? What can you tell me about the area, the schools, family activities, health care (asthma), shopping (possible food allergy could complicate the grocery shopping if there are not stores selling foods along the lines of organic prepackaged foods--that could mean Chicago suburbs in IL might be better)....but I liked what I saw on Dyer's town website.
For the OP... you might want to consider Chesterton. It's a longer way from Hammond but still less than a 45 minute commute, all expressway. Probably more like 25-30 depending on the time of day. Personally I would rather drive I-94 for a daily commute than have to deal with 30 or 41. When you get into Porter County, the traffic really lightens up and you can really enjoy the nature, the beach, we have open space and deer as well.

WiseWay and Jewel have some organics and gluten-free selections. WiseWay in its newer stores (Chesterton, Valparaiso) has an entire section of the store devoted to organics - better selection than you would find in a health food store, including frozen and refrigerated. Jewel does a nice job providing organic yogurt and milk, and some other selections. Out here our facilities are newer/cleaner than you'll find in Lake County. That's not a knock on Lake County, just the truth is that their grocery stores, shopping, retail, parks, schools, etc. have been more heavily used for a longer period of time just because they developed earlier and have a higher population.

That being said, Dyer is a nice place, and so are St. John and Crown Point close to the state line.

As soon as you cross into Illinois your home prices and taxes will rise considerably. Take a look at the citydata numbers for various Illinois and Indiana towns and you will see that the IL towns spend a lot more on government than Indiana. IN has a department of local government finance that regulates the communities pretty extensively.

Northwest Indiana will have less retail and social options overall though, and also less municipal facilities like park recreation centers, senior centers, etc. Otherwise I think we compare pretty favorably to Illinois - especially when it comes to schools. I think Duneland schools, Lake Central, Crown Point, and many others have a level of personal caring for students as people that I have never seen in Illinois. I think its very possible for you to enjoy teaching in Indiana.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 PM

Two other thoughts:

For major organic grocery shopping the nearest you'll find is the North Ave. Whole Foods in Chicago, about an hour away, and I make that trip about once a month.

And if you do consider Porter County, take a look at Chesterton and Porter, possibly the north end of Valparaiso too which would put you within a reasonable drive of I-90 or I-94. In Valpo I'd prefer to be north of Burlington Beach Road for that reason.

You can live well in certain towns in Lake County, Dyer being one of them, but for lower taxes and good communities for your family I really recommend Porter Co. more enthusiastically.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 AM

14 posts, read 68,999 times
Default Town of Dyer Info

Hello,

I have lived in Dyer for about 7 years now. It has been a wonderful experience. Unfortunately, due to a job relo my family and I will be relocating this summer but I'd love to give you some info on the area as we have experienced the elementary, middle, and high school levels as well as numerous extra-curriculars as well.

The local elementary schools are Protsman and Bibich. For the most part if you live south of 30 your elementary is Bibich and north of 30 is Protsman. There are a couple of subdivisions south of 30 that do go to protsman but if you look at each house listing it should tell you where you are districted.

My daughter attended Bibich since Kindergarten and she has had a great experience. The teachers are great and they offer numerous opportunities to get involved at the school. I did receive a letter that they are introducing full-day kindergarten as an OPTION next year but you will pay extra. Since I help run a girl scout troop I have been fortunate to come in contact with Protsman kids as well and they are just as prepared as Bibich and seem to be working on the same things at the same time as our kids at Bibich.

Middle school generally goes to Kahler, and middle school is considered 5-8 grades here now. We had a crowding problem at the elementary level and they opened up a new middle school and added 5th grades to all of the middle schools in the district to help alleviate the problem. They have said the 5th grade will be segregated from the rest of the school since they are younger and from what I have heard the school system has held true to their word. Kahler is beautiful and offers many many extracurriculars that the kids can get involved in. The principle is fantastic. He's even been known to shave his head for money raised for worthwhile causes. He really gets involved.

Lake Central is the high school and Dyer, St. John, and Schererville all feed into it. My son graduated from LC last year. It is a very populated school. The positives of the school I feel was he was very prepared to enter college. He needed to be motivated and responsible to make it at LC. It was much like a mini-college because you needed to be self-directed. There were some wonderful teachers and definitely lots of programs for the kids to be involved in (look at their website) but athletically you really need to be the best of the best when trying out for certain sports to make the team because there are so many kids. There is a lot of talk that the next step the school system is doing is to split up the high school. I do hope in the future that they do this. All in all though LC was a great experience for him.

Dyer has a parks department that offers numerous programs for the kids and adults to be involved in. Mark Heintz is the director and a great person. Maybe you can get a catalog and see the specifics. I have my preschooler involved in little chefs, krafty kids, and a mommy me type class and they are all a ton of fun and a great way to meet other Dyer people.

There are lots of other organizations too such as Little League, Softball, Lake Central Barracudas swim team (love that one my daughter has been swimming for 5 years now), various dance clubs, TriTown football and cheer, Midwest Ice arena which offers Hockey, Skating, gymnastics and Tae Kwan Doe. Of course there is soccer which is huge here too.

The library is great and also offers classes for kids, reading programs, and programs for adults like stamping, knitting, book clubs etc. The staff is wonderful and it is pretty easy to get to right on Rt. 30

Traffic.... Well I live in Pheasant Hills which is south of 30. Depending on the time of day, mainly rush hour 5ish I avoid the intersection of Hart and Rt. 30. With that being said I feel it is very easy to reach a destination within 5 or 10 minutes anywhere in town. Towns by us like Schererville and Highland have more issues with congestion also most notably at rush hour. I am afraid to say that this is only going to get worse because the area is building up. But so will your property value. Just something to ponder.

Organic foods can be found at Jewel. They do have a pretty large selection. A co-worker of mine only buys Organic and does so through a mail order company and uses our Jewel here in Dyer. She says the prices are competetive and the selection is good.

Healthcare, St. Margaret Mercy in Dyer is where you would get transported in the event of an emergency. It is a fairly large facility that continues to grow. They are part of Sisters of St. Francis who own several hospitals in the area. There is also Community Hospital in Munster. It is a larger facility with a very good reputation. If you have kids, for the most part if it is something serious they get shipped out to Chicago where there is Childrens Hospital and Hope. Both OUTSTANDING facilities in the treatment of peds.

Dyer is located right on the border of Illinois. You can easily commute to Chicago and be at museums, plays, ball games etc. It will be about a 20-30 minute commute to Hammond depending on the time of day your husband is travelling and what route either Calumet or Rt. 41.

At any rate, I do love Dyer and will miss it greatly when I go. We made friends easily out here and ALWAYS have something to do. The town is friendly, there are great restaurants, and a wide array of opportunities for people to grow from. Please let me know if there are any specifics I can help you with! Good luck to you!

Hrtnurse1

Old 03-10-2008, 02:40 PM

37 posts, read 74,699 times
Greetings. I am glad I found this thread. I am evaluating relocating from Park Forest, IL to either Dyer, St. John or Schererville. It's just insane how taxes keep going up as well as housing prices. We go to these communities often and it is simply amazing how different they are even though they are right next to IL. On Sauk Trail Road, right before you hit route 30 there is a billboard that says something like "Come to Indiana for lower taxes, business and housing costs". So true! Can someone comment on how's the commute to Metra stations in Idiana from any of the cities mentioned above? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,343,927 times
In Indiana, we use the South Shore as opposed to Metra for train service to Chicago. Schererville and Dyer will be the closest to the train stations (Hammond or East Chicago; I prefer EC), which St John is further South. The towns are spread out, so it's hard to estimate drive time to the train station. I'd say 30 minutes should be enough in most cases, though it might take longer than that from St John.
I'd recommend any of the three towns you mentioned over Park Forest, hands down. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:57 PM

37 posts, read 74,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
In Indiana, we use the South Shore as opposed to Metra for train service to Chicago. Schererville and Dyer will be the closest to the train stations (Hammond or East Chicago; I prefer EC), which St John is further South. The towns are spread out, so it's hard to estimate drive time to the train station. I'd say 30 minutes should be enough in most cases, though it might take longer than that from St John.
I'd recommend any of the three towns you mentioned over Park Forest, hands down. Good luck!
Thanks for your inpout. You are right, I meant the South Shore. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana