Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What tenants do you see opening in Galleria Center?
GORDMANS 4 44.44%
ROSS DRESS FOR LESS 0 0%
HOME GOODS 2 22.22%
DSW 1 11.11%
PIER 1 IMPORTS 1 11.11%
Q-BBQ 0 0%
YOAMAZING 2 22.22%
CHICO'S OUTLET 0 0%
TOMATO BAR 2 22.22%
MEATHEADS 3 33.33%
BACK TO BED 2 22.22%
FIREHOUSE SUBS 3 33.33%
NOODLES & COMPANY 5 55.56%
AT&T 2 22.22%
KIRKLAND'S 2 22.22%
LANE BRYANT 0 0%
OSHKOSH 0 0%
CARTER'S 0 0%
WHOLE FOODS MARKET 2 22.22%
CARRABA'S ITALIAN GRILL 1 11.11%
Other tenant not listed (list in comments) 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 04:34 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,462,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
I completely agree it needs to go 4 lanes NOW, unfortunately government thinks/does these things after the fact so it will be a headache for everyone once anything starts hence my disapproval of this project. The stretch from Broadway to 65 is already looking like Main/41 in Highland/Sville where people decide they must turn left into and out of the Walgreens entrance like how people would do by Oberweis and Old Country Buffett or Target before they put the median and light in. The city approved this yesterday:
Crown Point approves contract for 109th Avenue work | Lake County News | nwitimes.com

In regards to tenants, hate to disappoint but IMO it will be a continuation of what is already available in NWI...
I hate when people make those turns and was so glad when they put that median in (which Schererville needs to do in front of the Starbucks).

The more I think about it, the more I feel the same that it will probably be a duplication. At best, it would be a POSSIBLE duplication of Shops on Main without the Whole Foods (but maybe a 365 store) nor Nordstrom Rack. I could see the better stores locating in Valpo than CP because the distance would be more justified in between those stores. This development I could definitely see a Marshalls store since their isn't one in the immediate area. There was a brief location in Gary in The Village open from April 2011 through January 2012 but business was not good there and they had more than a few robberies. So although TJ Maxx in Merrillville is the same company with similar offerings, folks in Merrillville and CP must either go to Highland or Valpo for a Marshall's store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 10:27 AM

119 posts, read 153,165 times
Yea whenever I'm stuck at that intersection on my home (from 65 to downtown CP area), I'll laugh to see someone NB on Broadway make a right onto 109th to take an immediate left at the Walgreens on the corner. You had the green light to continue to go straight another 300-500 feet and easily turn right and make your entrance into the shopping center, but chose to do this snarling anyone going EB on 109th. Especially around 2-6pm this is far too common.

I agree it will probably be mostly the same stores and food options at 41/Main and the distance to either that area or Valpo can be a toss-up depending on the day and time. To me it feels that the end result of this development will be spreading the amount of revenue to another store and maybe increasing revenue for the district/region of a store by a marginal amount if they open any stores that already have locations in Lake/Porter Co. This is why I hold the feelings of why have continuous development for pretty much the same offerings that are less than 10 minutes away.

Ideally, if I were a developer, I would be considering the Mississippi St stretch from 30 to 73rd as the roads are already built to handle traffic and already has established retail. This coupled with Hobart looking into creating a new interchange on 65 at 73rd would allow better flow of traffic and a central shopping area.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:27 PM

Exclamation North St (109th)/Broadway Corridor Plans

This plan goes right along with the Crown Point Galleria Center planning. While I do not think that a "tiny home village" would be very popular in the immediate area (I could see it more in the Kanakee Valley area where there would be more spacious lots and less of a "mobile home community" feeling...like you see on HGTV) I definitely see the demand for high-end apartments, hotels, and an arts district of some sort. A GPTC bus stop would be there as well. Of course, some in the surrounding community are absoutely against more rentals or the idea of making any part of the area more urban and dense, but there is a need in CP as the current rentals in the community are very outdated overall and a walkable community (as opposed to just a large apartment complex) is warranted. Also, having a grand eastern gateway into CP off of 109th is much needed. So much potential. As discussed in other threads, I just think that there is a lot of fear associated with what might happen to the city because folks are so focused on what has occurred in Gary and Merrillville. GPTC has expanded somewhat into Munster and Highland and I NEVER see folks on there...some folks are upset at those wasted resources. However, GPTC barely goes into CP with the exception of along 93rd and I know that if it went all the way to 109th (even to 231) and back through The Square, there would be a lot of demand...but NIMBY folks may be concerned about the fact that there IS demand for that service. Thoughts?

Crown Point gets look at new vision for North Street

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 11-16-2016 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-17-2016, 01:43 PM

119 posts, read 153,165 times
The only reason that bus makes it to 93rd is due to the VA at that intersection. I am not against public transit, however there is little justification for it for south Lake County. Part of me thinks about what people in Indy talking about the bus service from the suburbs to downtown. The cost savings is negligible while the commute is 2-3x longer. Here it is way more convenient for people to drive pretty much anywhere and a minimal cost (no parking fees/low fuel cost). Granted, there are those that don't/can't drive but that is an issue in and of itself. Adding sidewalks would be beneficial as the area that the bus is projected to go there are no sidewalks pretty much east of Indiana Ave people would have to walk on the road with cars going a minimum of 45. Public transit is beneficial to an area that is limited in parking, and as someone that lives in a home where I can see the square out my window there is parking available in the community lots behind the square any given night.

The 'tiny home' idea feels like a glorified trailer park IMO and I feel that type of housing is on its way out of vogue with the recovery of the general economy. I'm a little confused as to where exactly they're talking about as Porter St starts and stops multiple times in town. There is a need for more rentals whether they're renovated or newly constructed. Most new rentals or multi-family housing has been geared for senior living in the area.

Finally, the roundabout would be personally appreciated.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
The only reason that bus makes it to 93rd is due to the VA at that intersection. I am not against public transit, however there is little justification for it for south Lake County. Part of me thinks about what people in Indy talking about the bus service from the suburbs to downtown. The cost savings is negligible while the commute is 2-3x longer. Here it is way more convenient for people to drive pretty much anywhere and a minimal cost (no parking fees/low fuel cost). Granted, there are those that don't/can't drive but that is an issue in and of itself. Adding sidewalks would be beneficial as the area that the bus is projected to go there are no sidewalks pretty much east of Indiana Ave people would have to walk on the road with cars going a minimum of 45. Public transit is beneficial to an area that is limited in parking, and as someone that lives in a home where I can see the square out my window there is parking available in the community lots behind the square any given night.

The 'tiny home' idea feels like a glorified trailer park IMO and I feel that type of housing is on its way out of vogue with the recovery of the general economy. I'm a little confused as to where exactly they're talking about as Porter St starts and stops multiple times in town. There is a need for more rentals whether they're renovated or newly constructed. Most new rentals or multi-family housing has been geared for senior living in the area.

Finally, the roundabout would be personally appreciated.
That is not the only reason the bus makes it to 93rd. Another reason, probably the biggest reason, is the government center/jail. Overall, service in south Lake County is not as in demand as in north Lake County. However, even when you see the buses that were expanded into Munster/Highland, there is literally nobody ever on it except for the bus driver. It was the same thing when the RDA ran their lines those couple years too. Rarely a soul on the bus. The heaviest users of transit are in Gary, EC, and Merrillville. When Hammond had its own line, use was up there too. But even in Merrillville which is mostly suburban, there is high usage. Clearly, not all of Crown Point needs bus service but I do know it would be used if at least expanded to 109th and the Square area especially if more development comes. The main issue is that people in the area do not want buses because of the "element that is brings" and these sentiments are well-documented. But when it comes to a "Trolley Stop", people are for it!

Old 12-18-2016, 02:19 PM

Default Stalled

Well...looks like the project is probably stalled for now. Interesting note: Todd Kleven, the former Vice President of Hawk Development (managing this project) is now one of the managing partners of the developer of Centennial Village in Munster (which is being built right now).

Crown Point's planned Galleria Center remains at a standstill

Old 12-18-2016, 03:08 PM

815 posts, read 2,988,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Well...looks like the project is probably stalled for now. Interesting note: Todd Kleven, the former Vice President of Hawk Development (managing this project) is now one of the managing partners of the developer of Centennial Village in Munster (which is being built right now).

Crown Point's planned Galleria Center remains at a standstill

I don't think this one is happening. The wait for the improved roads is probably too long.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:02 PM

255 posts, read 409,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
I don't think this one is happening. The wait for the improved roads is probably too long.
In terms of commercial & industrial, nothing much ever substantial gets developed in CP. Lots of project proposals, but nothing happens. Just more and more homes. I still think that the substantial amount of land along I-65 could be marketed to Illinois companies looking to bolt, but NWI has done a poor job bringing in new jobs.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Galleria Center land. And yes, 109th needs to be widened from SR 2 to Broadway with all the population growth in Winfield and CP.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:17 PM

815 posts, read 2,988,409 times
I imagine it will still be retail and hotels of some sort. Its going to be at least three years before the roads are expanded, so little can be built before that. That's a long time for nothing to be happening for a developer. That's three years of holding costs like property taxes etc. You have to have deep pockets to just hold something like that. And most developers pockets aren't as deep as people think they are.

Though it seems strange they couldn't line up financing for the hotel. Its about as easy as it will ever get, to get funding for hotel projects. Maybe the bubble has burst on those.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:33 AM

What may end up happening is Crown Point will get more desperate for commercial development and may become lax on some of their standards (especially the whole Williamsburg thing).

For example - I really have no issue with their requirements for the Williamsburg-look on the Broadway corridor because it does look nice; however, when you leave the corridor and see vinyl villages lining I-65, then I feel like there is no point. They should have extended those requirements to home builders but CP loves the growth. I understand that CP cannot support 100% upscale custom home growth, but some of the subdivisions just look tacky off of 65. The edgewater subdivision on the east side of 65 where CalAtlantic just completed those duplexes look horrible from the back. Its like a giant apartment block. And that is what some residents feared.

The city probably figured that with all the growth, most developers would want to pack in as much housing for as cheap as possible. This was allowed in some developments to "get the people here" with the hopes that a lot of the commercial development would follow (aka build it and they will come). Then, with the possibilities of overall housing values increasing, the lack of strict architectural requirements on the residential side wouldn't matter as much because the new amenities would make the area more desirable overall...but here we are, this development is now stalled which may also mean that hotel development is stalled too. And now the housing values the city thought would shoot up will not. Yes, schools are a reason people are moving here too but more convenient amenities improves values as well.

The stalling of this project is great for the residents who wanted CP to stop growing as fast, but while having a bedroom community is nice, a lack of a good commercial tax base is not good in the long run. I guess we will see what happens. There are a lot of NIMBYs in CP who fear that the area will be another "Gary and Merrillville" if ANY type of new development comes to town (this was most visible when AmeriPlex proposed their commercial and residential development in CP at 231 & 65). I know that the Galleria Center would not end up being as upscale as some folks would have liked, but I do still feel it would have been a benefit for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana