Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What tenants do you see opening in Galleria Center?
GORDMANS 4 44.44%
ROSS DRESS FOR LESS 0 0%
HOME GOODS 2 22.22%
DSW 1 11.11%
PIER 1 IMPORTS 1 11.11%
Q-BBQ 0 0%
YOAMAZING 2 22.22%
CHICO'S OUTLET 0 0%
TOMATO BAR 2 22.22%
MEATHEADS 3 33.33%
BACK TO BED 2 22.22%
FIREHOUSE SUBS 3 33.33%
NOODLES & COMPANY 5 55.56%
AT&T 2 22.22%
KIRKLAND'S 2 22.22%
LANE BRYANT 0 0%
OSHKOSH 0 0%
CARTER'S 0 0%
WHOLE FOODS MARKET 2 22.22%
CARRABA'S ITALIAN GRILL 1 11.11%
Other tenant not listed (list in comments) 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 01:49 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,452,243 times

Advertisements

So the plans for the Crown Point Galleria Center (Phase 1 and 2) have been released. This looks like it would be another "Shops on Main" meaning originally advertised as a "high-end walkable lifestyle center" but ultimately developed as a "high-end-LOOK strip center" without the upscale tenants. I have posted a poll on here asking what stores people think may end up here. I have included all of the current tenants of the Shops on Main. I was going to add in the original tenant list for Shops on Main, but the list would have been too long. Feel free to add additional stores in the comments.

So far, I think the following tenants may end up here:

Gordmans
Home Goods
Meatheads
Back to Bed (now Mattress Firm)
Firehouse Subs
Noodles & Company
AT&T
Kirkland's

And one's that I did not list that may have a possibility partially based on the fact that they are either not in Merrillville/Hobart but are in Highland/Schererville/Valpo OR are not within a 25-radius (although the radius was in reference to restaurants that expressed interest, not retailers, according to the Vice President of Hawk Development, Todd Kleven - SOURCE) and also ones that I feel may just make sense:

Marshall's
Starbucks
Mariano's (if they do decide to come to NWI, but this wouldn't be the first location in NWI)
Dave & Busters
Benny's Beverage Depot

And now, the following list would be what I call "pleasant surprises that could remotely happen, but not really counting on it":

Nordstrom Rack
Von Maur
Bonefish Grill (very possible)
Williams-Sonoma

If I think of more, I will post.

Also, here is a list of some of the tenants originally proposed for Shops on Main. The ones that are in yellow are ones that ultimately located elsewhere (e.g. Highland, Merrillville, etc.) in the area and the ones in green are current Shops on Main tenants (note: some may also be located elsewhere in the area as well):

Pottery Barn
Williams Sonoma
Urban Outfitters
Kirkland's
Sharper Image
American Girl
Banana Republic
H&M
Lens crafters
Sunglass Hut
Hallmark
Barnes and Noble
DSW
Ulta Cosmetics
J. Jill
Chico's
Coldwater Creek

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 11-29-2015 at 02:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 10:32 AM

255 posts, read 407,327 times
If this is just the stereotypical strip center, I would want Sonic to enter Northwest Indiana here. Another great restaurant I've ate at before in Columbus Ohio is Raising Cane's. It's strictly chicken fingers, but it's amazing. I would expect to see similar stores in CP that Shops on Main has. We'll see, it'll be interesting, but the design is ugly with all the parking spaces. No mixed use sadly.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:22 PM

51 posts, read 68,813 times
I really wish they would nix this plan altogether. 109th is way too busy as it is, and we don't need it to become a strip mall saturated traffic headache like route 30 or 41. If you want to shop or go out to eat in Crown Point there are dozens of wonderful, locally-owned options. If you need to visit a chain for some reason, drive 5 minutes to Merrillville and pretty much anything you could possibly need is there (and if it's not, drive another 10-15 minutes to Schererville/Highland and it's probably there). I don't know how all these strip mall chains stay in business anyway. Most of them are full of things you don't need or can get elsewhere. The one thing I wouldn't mind is a large hardware store, perhaps on the south side of town. Ace is great for a lot of things, but they don't have building materials, and Lowe's is a pain in the neck to get to with all the Costco traffic that builds up.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:26 PM

220 posts, read 302,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetJones View Post
I really wish they would nix this plan altogether. 109th is way too busy as it is, and we don't need it to become a strip mall saturated traffic headache like route 30 or 41. If you want to shop or go out to eat in Crown Point there are dozens of wonderful, locally-owned options. If you need to visit a chain for some reason, drive 5 minutes to Merrillville and pretty much anything you could possibly need is there (and if it's not, drive another 10-15 minutes to Schererville/Highland and it's probably there). I don't know how all these strip mall chains stay in business anyway. Most of them are full of things you don't need or can get elsewhere. The one thing I wouldn't mind is a large hardware store, perhaps on the south side of town. Ace is great for a lot of things, but they don't have building materials, and Lowe's is a pain in the neck to get to with all the Costco traffic that builds up.
I agree. I think NWI is becoming to saturated with retail. Any new retail should be built in areas that already contains retail such as Merrilville or Highland/ Schererville. I feel like adding another retail mega strip mall in Crown Point would cause an exodus of stores from Merrillville. There is plenty of room along US-30 to add another strip mall.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Blish View Post
I agree. I think NWI is becoming to saturated with retail. Any new retail should be built in areas that already contains retail such as Merrilville or Highland/ Schererville. I feel like adding another retail mega strip mall in Crown Point would cause an exodus of stores from Merrillville. There is plenty of room along US-30 to add another strip mall.
It's not that we are becoming too saturated with retail. It is that we are becoming too saturated with the SAME types of retail. Everyone knows that in NWI, the Highland/Schererville shopping areas were essentially a duplicate of the Merrillville/Hobart shopping areas with the exception of the mall. However, the Highland/Schererville area nowadays is the first to get new retailers to this market and usually the stores and restaurants are a little nicer than their Merrillville/Hobart counterparts. But Munster and St. John have also added somewhat to their shopping areas too to serve the surrounding areas. Valpo has also expanded, but I would say theirs is mostly needed because it is a more isolated city and the only real alternative was Merrillville or now in some cases, Portage.

Crown Point does not have any big box stores with the exception of some grocery stores. I definitely think Crown Point could support a Target in this Galleria Development (which I would like to add as a possible retailer) and I think everyone knows this. However, the issue is that we need better shopping in this area. We need more upscale shopping. If nothing else, upscale shopping would at least make NWI a more attractive destination for people overall and help keep some areas nice. This development does not look like the lifestyle center that was promised and that is why I really do think that it will be a Shops on Main 2.0.

On some levels I had thought that development in Crown Point could cause an exodus of some stores in Merrillville. However, I do not think it would be on a large scale at all, at least now especially since this will not be an outdoor mall as most believed. IMO, Merrillville is more desirable to shop and work in than to live in and so the desirability of the shopping area will definitely keep it going for a while.

I think a small outlet mall with name brands would have done well on this parcel. Traffic would be terrible, but it would be a lot nicer than this.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:41 AM

There are Target locations in both Merrillville and St. John so a Target would be goofy in this location. We don't need "better" shopping in this area. People have enough made in China junk and debt as it is and should be saving their money rather than blowing it all on tchotchkes at Target. Most fancy name brands stores are not actually any higher quality than the cheap stuff anyway. I'm happy to support locally owned business that provide goods and services that people actually need or that improve their lives in some way rather than just shilling useless junk. That kind of growth tends to happen more slowly though, which is fine. If anything the city should focus on things that can help the general public rather than just people that want to max our their credit cards. I would love to see more bike lanes throughout the city, and a sidewalk for pedestrians along Broadway. A park could maybe even go in this location, which would be much nicer than a bunch of stores. Maybe even a dog park that people have to pay a small fee to use--those are pretty popular now. Or perhaps someone would be interested in starting a small you-pick berry farm or a pumpkin patch. Anything would be an improvement over a bunch of chain retail and restaurants.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
There are Target locations in both Merrillville and St. John so a Target would be goofy in this location. We don't need "better" shopping in this area. People have enough made in China junk and debt as it is and should be saving their money rather than blowing it all on tchotchkes at Target. Most fancy name brands stores are not actually any higher quality than the cheap stuff anyway. I'm happy to support locally owned business that provide goods and services that people actually need or that improve their lives in some way rather than just shilling useless junk. That kind of growth tends to happen more slowly though, which is fine. If anything the city should focus on things that can help the general public rather than just people that want to max our their credit cards. I would love to see more bike lanes throughout the city, and a sidewalk for pedestrians along Broadway. A park could maybe even go in this location, which would be much nicer than a bunch of stores. Maybe even a dog park that people have to pay a small fee to use--those are pretty popular now. Or perhaps someone would be interested in starting a small you-pick berry farm or a pumpkin patch. Anything would be an improvement over a bunch of chain retail and restaurants.
Only because of the fact that the population in that area is not that dense, a Target location would not really be that out of line. The Merrillville Target is about 5 miles north and the St. John location is about 9 miles west. There's also a Target in Munster and Highland which are only about 6 miles apart (although there is a higher population in that area.

Better shopping does not just mean junk from china. In fact, many higher end brands such as True Religion, AG, Gucci, LV, etc. are made in the USA or in Europe (as in UK, France, Germany, or Italy). Thus, the higher prices and usually much better quality. The stores that I believe will locate in this development as it stands are more likely to have the low quality that you fear as opposed to a higher-end mall. That is why I said the area in general needs nicer offerings. Although it probably would not happen in CP, a Nordstrom's store would be much preferred over a Gordman's location. Even if I could not afford to shop at Nordstrom all the time, I know that it would attract nice development. And at the very least, maintain a higher desirability for a given area.

Some places that get way too picky about developments that largely require some variances may end up getting stuck with smaller but low quality developments that cannot really be stopped because they may not require variances in zoning. Although nicely constructed, the newest developments at the Broadway/109th corridor currently has Stracks, Aldi's, Dollar Tree, Check into Cash, and some other stores. Yes, Bagger Dave's and some other chain restaurants relatively new to the area are there. However, I do think that if the area is going to develop, why not with nicer offerings?

The MAIN concern that most CP residents have is the fear of riffraff coming into the city. People are especially concerned with this with the idea of the hotel locating off the highway. Yes, there is VALID concern about business being taken from the Square but to be honest, the square already does not have everything and it appears to be doing well and has offerings that chains will not have. If people are as loyal to downtown CP as it seems, there should be no concern at all.

People also need to realize that CP is no longer a small town. It is a rapidly growing area that offers urban, suburban, and rural living. With this residential growth comes commercial development. Might as well make it nice development.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Well I think all of the residential growth isn't a good thing either, but that's a whole other discussion. I'm not worried about riffraff at all--just because someone has less money, doesn't mean they're a bad person, and I like how the old parts of CP has huge mansions, modest houses, tiny starter homes, apartments, and everything in the middle. A range of housing for a wide variety of people is much better in my mind than trying to create some homogeneous upper-middle class only type of town. I heard something about a bus going from Gary down Broadway all the way to Crown Point the other day, and it made me so excited! I would love to be able to take a bus to get to the beach or to the South Shore station instead of having to drive everywhere. I'm not worried about "bad" residents of Gary coming to Crown Point for nefarious purposes. What do people think, that a robber is going to break into your home, steal your TV, and bring it with him on the bus? Puh-leeze.

Maybe it's partially influenced by where I grew up, but I HATE chain stores, strip malls, and acres of lookalike vinyl McMansion subdivisions. It just makes a town feel souless and gives you no sense of place whatsoever. It turns a town into anywheresville, USA, which is not what I want to see Crown Point become. The main reason we chose Crown Point over other towns in NWI was because of the old part of town (which is where we live). I love the small town feel, I love running into my neighbors at the festivals, I love walking to the library or coffee shop or post office or doctor's office or hairdresser. If CP wants to attract young people (I'm in my 20s), it would be better to improve walkable areas and bike or pedestrian infrastructure and even public transit. That's what actual young people want--neighborhoods where they can get places without driving and quality, locally owned shops that don't cost a fortune to shop in (hardly anyone my age shops at Nordstrom--we have student loans and can't afford places like that, so we go to Goodwill, or if we are splurging on a quality item, we go to a local, smaller business because most people my age don't care for chains). I'm a fan of urban or rural living but goofy subdivision suburban living is not something most people really want. They just buy into it because it's much more widely available.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:59 PM

255 posts, read 407,327 times
Quote:
Well I think all of the residential growth isn't a good thing either, but that's a whole other discussion. I'm not worried about riffraff at all--just because someone has less money, doesn't mean they're a bad person, and I like how the old parts of CP has huge mansions, modest houses, tiny starter homes, apartments, and everything in the middle. A range of housing for a wide variety of people is much better in my mind than trying to create some homogeneous upper-middle class only type of town. I heard something about a bus going from Gary down Broadway all the way to Crown Point the other day, and it made me so excited! I would love to be able to take a bus to get to the beach or to the South Shore station instead of having to drive everywhere. I'm not worried about "bad" residents of Gary coming to Crown Point for nefarious purposes. What do people think, that a robber is going to break into your home, steal your TV, and bring it with him on the bus? Puh-leeze.

Maybe it's partially influenced by where I grew up, but I HATE chain stores, strip malls, and acres of lookalike vinyl McMansion subdivisions. It just makes a town feel souless and gives you no sense of place whatsoever. It turns a town into anywheresville, USA, which is not what I want to see Crown Point become. The main reason we chose Crown Point over other towns in NWI was because of the old part of town (which is where we live). I love the small town feel, I love running into my neighbors at the festivals, I love walking to the library or coffee shop or post office or doctor's office or hairdresser. If CP wants to attract young people (I'm in my 20s), it would be better to improve walkable areas and bike or pedestrian infrastructure and even public transit. That's what actual young people want--neighborhoods where they can get places without driving and quality, locally owned shops that don't cost a fortune to shop in (hardly anyone my age shops at Nordstrom--we have student loans and can't afford places like that, so we go to Goodwill, or if we are splurging on a quality item, we go to a local, smaller business because most people my age don't care for chains). I'm a fan of urban or rural living but goofy subdivision suburban living is not something most people really want. They just buy into it because it's much more widely available.
What I highlighted in bold and you've described is exactly what St. John has tried to do and it's sad. Trying to make a upper-middle to upper class rich town basically.

I believe that all of Broadway needs to be (re)developed with wide sidewalks and urban style development to create sustainability. I'd love to see all of Merrillville that currently has no sidewalk get wide sidewalks.

This CP Galleria Center is just another sprawl development that will take money away from places such as Merrillville/Ross Twp. and quite frankly, we don't need more sprawl, we need sustainability in the suburbs.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:03 PM

275 posts, read 437,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
This CP Galleria Center is just another sprawl development that will take money away from places such as Merrillville/Ross Twp. and quite frankly, we don't need more sprawl, we need sustainability in the suburbs.
Unfortunately it seems that these sprawling commercial developments seem to be thinking only about THEIR input rather than the town's. You're right, they should be thinking about long term, sustainable centers for shopping/lifestyle centers. I think they only see that as wasted money from a cost per square foot perspective. When you have a highrise condo building, there is very little wasted space, as that is square footage that won't be sellable.

"Efficiency" is the term that means something different to everyone. For the developer, the less they have to spend on infrastructure and sidewalk/garden/common areas, the more they can charge a tenant money for. That's being efficient in their terms. For the town, it's more efficient to not have to segregate a special "park" location to have a common area that will be near a shopping center (if they can even find a spot for it). It's more efficient for that common area to be built into the shopping/lifestyle center.

I think the towns need to do a better job of enforcing development plans to aid the community if they want their plans approved. If there's a cost discrepancy, then work towards a common goal of putting the dog park in the center of lifestyle center that also encourages a cute pet boutique to open up adjacent to it. Without the guarantee of this shop leasing a space, a developer sees that as potential rather than a surety. Safer to go with the surety.

Without the mandates, we'll continue to see these happening.

Munster seems to have gotten 1 right with the mixed use development happening adjacent to Centennial Park at 45th/Calumet Ave. That has the more lifestyle planning that corresponds directly with the park's trails that they've been needing to start a more modern infrastructure. Too bad they already started the 'average looking' shops across from the hospital. I saw that as a giant opportunity for a grander scale lifestyle area before the standalone dialysis/fast foods (higher tier mind you) went in. I always wanted the train station option there personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana