U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:10 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,100,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
I think this development should really take advantage of being right of Centennial Park and the synergy you can create between the two.

- Provide several good dining opportunities with large outdoor patios in low traffic areas so you can walk over/bike over from the park to eat or go for a walk after dinner. Or just enjoy quiet outdoor dining in general. Lack of this in NWI in general IMO.

- There should be a place you can take kids for ice cream and some family-friendly dining options. Throw in something like a Marbles the Brain Store. A Gymboree (we already have a Carters).

- Entice in a nice spa, hair salon, good nail place and Sephora (BIG win if you can get them). Add in something like Pandora which is more of an experience than just typical jewelry retailer (similar to Sephora).

- The ladies I know would like some fashion retailers in which you don't need to go through 10 racks to find a good shirt. Like a Banana Republic would work with this demographic. Personally, I would like to see a yoga/fitness inspired retailer. Like Athleta or Title Nine. Lulu is too high end for the demographic.

- Trader Joe's would be great get

The key will be the broker's success in getting enough co-tenancy interest to make retailers want to be at this center & underscoring that mid-to upper-end shoppers would rather go to a smaller, lifestyle type center in Munster than the older Southlake Mall which is really more junior fashion focused.

Unfortunately, I don't think Outback is going to help this cause. Already in the market. Old Brand. Blah. Rather have a Lou Malnati's, Capital Grille, Cheesecake, etc (Something new/different for the area!)
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote although I am one to just shoot for the stars when it comes to what tenants I would like to see! Yea, the Outback Steakhouse was definitely kind of just blah. But I will say, so far--and yes, it is still early--but so far, I am not as disappointed as I was when Shops on Main announced their first tenants...but then again, Whole Foods confirming their store and now Nordstrom Rack definitely made things a lot better and I think may others agree! I do think one store that this area could definitely use is an Apple Store too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,790 times
I have been watching this development from a distance since earlier this year. I don't claim to be an expert by any means on this project, just a few casual observations. I observed over the past several months, backhoes digging what looked like test holes. What came out of these "test" areas was piles of garbage. Numerous holes were dug, each with the same results, piles of garbage mixed with dirt. These test areas were where the group of trees and small pond were on the north side of the entrance. Other test areas were further east to the first building, some in the old soccer area. Now, recently as of June 21, 2016, driving by, I see the area has now been covered with sand and what looks like a pile driver is place. My point being, everyone is talking about what is going to be there ABOVE ground, but it seems this development is being built on garbage. Didn't anyone learn a lesson from what happened with the clubhouse and band shell. They both have huge problems and are costing big bucks to remedy the sinking foundations. I can only imagine, even if there are pilings put in place to support main building structure, what smell, seepage, settling, will take place. I read there was going to be underground parking. How will a motel, condos, townhomes, restaurants, stores, all being built on parts if not all garbage filled areas not be a problem. I do believe the old Munster Steel area is solid ground, but I question all the other area being developed. I was hoping to see that the garbage would be removed and backfilled with proper fill. But, all I saw was the holes covered back up and sand spread on top. I hope this project is turns out as it seems to be a fine addition to Munster. However, I think the foundations of this project may have some future problems. I would never purchase a townhome or condo in this development, knowing what I have seen. Everything will look pretty above ground, but what is lurking below is what concerns me.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo16 View Post
I have been watching this development from a distance since earlier this year. I don't claim to be an expert by any means on this project, just a few casual observations. I observed over the past several months, backhoes digging what looked like test holes. What came out of these "test" areas was piles of garbage. Numerous holes were dug, each with the same results, piles of garbage mixed with dirt. These test areas were where the group of trees and small pond were on the north side of the entrance. Other test areas were further east to the first building, some in the old soccer area. Now, recently as of June 21, 2016, driving by, I see the area has now been covered with sand and what looks like a pile driver is place. My point being, everyone is talking about what is going to be there ABOVE ground, but it seems this development is being built on garbage. Didn't anyone learn a lesson from what happened with the clubhouse and band shell. They both have huge problems and are costing big bucks to remedy the sinking foundations. I can only imagine, even if there are pilings put in place to support main building structure, what smell, seepage, settling, will take place. I read there was going to be underground parking. How will a motel, condos, townhomes, restaurants, stores, all being built on parts if not all garbage filled areas not be a problem. I do believe the old Munster Steel area is solid ground, but I question all the other area being developed. I was hoping to see that the garbage would be removed and backfilled with proper fill. But, all I saw was the holes covered back up and sand spread on top. I hope this project is turns out as it seems to be a fine addition to Munster. However, I think the foundations of this project may have some future problems. I would never purchase a townhome or condo in this development, knowing what I have seen. Everything will look pretty above ground, but what is lurking below is what concerns me.
I drive by the development at least twice a day. Have never seen any "piles of garbage". The landfill area was much further to the south of this area. The area being developed was never used as a dump. There may have been garbage that had blown into that area because it is right off a major road and there used to be some wetland there. However, the area being developed was not a dumping site.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:46 AM

435 posts, read 384,151 times
Default Wow, very detailed "casual observations"!

Quote:
I drive by this site nearly every day and I also haven't seen any piles of garbage coming up? Are you like sitting at the park everyday watching them out there doing site work?

Here is the thing - if the developer has a lender on the project and the project is already underway they would have ordered an environmental report and a soil suitability study prior to providing the debt. They would have done soil boring tests already. They don't do this with a backhoe. I don't know of any developers out there that aren't carrying debt b/c of the positive leverage if provides (and much greater return to their equity investment). So, from my vantage point it seems highly likely that boring tests/soil suitability have been conducted already as site work has commenced. But maybe the deal is highly irregular in terms of how it is being funded/managed? Maybe, I just doubt it.....

Old 06-23-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
I drive by this site nearly every day and I also haven't seen any piles of garbage coming up? Are you like sitting at the park everyday watching them out there doing site work?

Here is the thing - if the developer has a lender on the project and the project is already underway they would have ordered an environmental report and a soil suitability study prior to providing the debt. They would have done soil boring tests already. They don't do this with a backhoe. I don't know of any developers out there that aren't carrying debt b/c of the positive leverage if provides (and much greater return to their equity investment). So, from my vantage point it seems highly likely that boring tests/soil suitability have been conducted already as site work has commenced. But maybe the deal is highly irregular in terms of how it is being funded/managed? Maybe, I just doubt it.....
Spot on. And environmental tests were started and mostly completed over 5 years ago. This was part of the reason why the project had been delayed for so long. Testing was done before Munster Steel was demolished and afterwards as well.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,790 times
Honestly didn't intend to ruffle anyone's feathers. Anyway, you don't have to take my word about the garbage that the backhoe dug up. You can see one of the locations for yourself. Follow the fence just left of the construction entrance on the south side to the first DANGER CONSTRUCTION AREA KEEP OUT sign. Look down to the ground just inside the fence, you will see twisted up and torn plastic bags, smashed plastic pieces, larger piece of twisted up fabric, smashed plastic bottle, what looks like a smashed shoe and a bunch of non recognizable stuff. All this sort of half buried. This is approx 5ft x 10ft area disturbed ground that was leveled leaving this area exposed. Just saying what I (and another biking friend) saw when riding the bike trails.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:51 PM

435 posts, read 384,151 times
Default Couldn't Find It

Quote:
Honestly didn't intend to ruffle anyone's feathers. Anyway, you don't have to take my word about the garbage that the backhoe dug up. You can see one of the locations for yourself. Follow the fence just left of the construction entrance on the south side to the first DANGER CONSTRUCTION AREA KEEP OUT sign. Look down to the ground just inside the fence, you will see twisted up and torn plastic bags, smashed plastic pieces, larger piece of twisted up fabric, smashed plastic bottle, what looks like a smashed shoe and a bunch of non recognizable stuff. All this sort of half buried. This is approx 5ft x 10ft area disturbed ground that was leveled leaving this area exposed. Just saying what I (and another biking friend) saw when riding the bike trails.
So I went running by the site yesterday and I couldn't find said garbage area. The area that is by the park pretty much looked like rough grading and some fill activities had been done and the backhoe was much farther north near old Munster Steel site.

I am not saying that I don't believe you saw a plastic bottle, a shoe, some plastic bags etc on the site, I just thought that the garbage comment combined with the statement that the developer was not doing the proper cut and fill activities and that the development would not be structurally sound really seemed like jumping to conclusions and unfair. I really don't think the project would be this far along unless the soil was suitable for the proposed use.

On another note, I think it is AMAZING that Munster transformed the landfill into a nice community amenity/park/golf course. Having been here for about 2 years now I have yet to smell anything as I have run through it or driven by it.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:21 AM

Thumbs up Update

Here is a nice update on the project: Centennial Village takes shape

Also, tenants for the project will be updated on this site: Metro CRE - Centennial Village

Old 01-02-2017, 06:02 AM

12,284 posts, read 8,793,752 times
Great for Munster and great for the area. Glad to see such projects which upgrade the desirability of NWI

Old 01-02-2017, 03:35 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,629,990 times
What will this do for the property values of the fairmeadows subdivision across the street? Will they rise or fall or stay the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana