Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 12:40 PM

143 posts, read 215,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Thank you for your updated post. After reading your first, I became very nervous! I understand Olthof is not the most "upscale" builder but that's OK with me, especially with the value we're getting. I do understand what you meant as far as building higher end pricer homes within the same community with "average" priced homes. They have that here as well. I think a lot of it had to do with the market crash. Alot of custom builders went under & now "non-custom" builders are coming in and buying the left over lots to finish subdivisions. It is what it is. We built our dream home for a heafty price tag in 2006 in a very upscale area. The area is still very nice and the schools are top notch, but with the crash came alot of foreclosures around here and homes that we're built for $600k++ are selling for half. We are making a life style change. We are not building with Olthof as we've built twice before, rather we are buying one of their spec homes. Again, I know it's not "custom" but it is very upgraded and nice and the lot is amazing! We are done with Illinois crazy corrupt politicians and high taxes. Plus the people here are down right rude. I look forward to my new home in Indiana and my new neighborhood!! BTW....I posted another thread on Kolling and Clark schools as I have an upcoming 3rd & 5th grader. I'm hearing the schools are great, but worried about the size. Any comments on that? Thanks again!!
You're welcome! Yes, I think you will be happy here in Indiana without all of the negatives that come with living in Illinois. It still feels like Chicagoland, but without the hefty taxes and political corruption that come with Illinois, and that is why many people like you are choosing to leave Illinois to become a Hoosier. As far as schools, I don't know much about Kolling as I live in Schererville (which has their own elementary schools), but I do know more about Clark. I have relatives whose kids attend Clark and I haven't heard anything negative about that school. Your 5th grader would be starting out at Clark at the same time as all of the other students, so it should be easy for him/her to make friends. As far as the size, I believe you're thinking about Lake Central (the high school). Clark isn't a small school, but it isn't a big school either. Kolling definitely isn't big either. The reason why Lake Central is so big is because it services three towns (Dyer, Schererville, and Saint John). I personally didn't go to Lake Central (I went to Marian Catholic out in Chicago Heights-a good option for high school if you're afraid of LC's size). However, many of my friends went to Lake Central and they have all been happy there. All of the schools within the Lake Central school district are good schools, so I believe that you and your children should be happy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Ryland now has 2 floorplans listed on their website for the Gates, and they are the same as Summertree, not Edgewater as I originally suspected. I wonder about what gate they will build in though. Their map shows the cheapest part of the Gates, but those lots seem kinda small for the size of houses they are going to build. It would make more sense for them to build in the same part as Olthof is currently building IMO.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:22 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,455,297 times
Default Update - Not so Great

CalAtlantic Homes is building in the Cypress Gate and Autumn Gate sections of the subdivision. Their homes fit better in these areas of The Gates as opposed to Sterling Gate, Wysteria Gate, or Rose Gate; however, they definitely tend to cheapen the feel of the subdivision overall. I would be pretty upset if I had built a more custom home and was promised that similar homes would be built next to me only to have the builder sell the lots off to another company whom built less upscale and/or lower quality homes.

As a frame of reference, take a drive through the area of Autumn Creek in Schererville that is northwest of 75th & Burr. Two cul-de-sacs, Wild Bird Ct & Falling Leaf Ct. The original homes that started on those two streets were custom homes, some all-brick, and executive style. Development was not as popular on those two streets as it was more interior to the subdivision and so Providence Real Estate had purchased some of the remaining lots on these two streets and the current residents were LIVID that the same standards that they had to adhere to were not applicable to this builder. So what was the result? Well...look at the home located at 7435 Wild Bird Ct (built by Pebblebrook Homes) and then look at the next door neighbor that build 4 years later at 7443 Wild Bird Ct (built by Providence Homes)...huge difference and not in a good way...

Old 10-29-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
CalAtlantic Homes is building in the Cypress Gate and Autumn Gate sections of the subdivision. Their homes fit better in these areas of The Gates as opposed to Sterling Gate, Wysteria Gate, or Rose Gate; however, they definitely tend to cheapen the feel of the subdivision overall. I would be pretty upset if I had built a more custom home and was promised that similar homes would be built next to me only to have the builder sell the lots off to another company whom built less upscale and/or lower quality homes.

As a frame of reference, take a drive through the area of Autumn Creek in Schererville that is northwest of 75th & Burr. Two cul-de-sacs, Wild Bird Ct & Falling Leaf Ct. The original homes that started on those two streets were custom homes, some all-brick, and executive style. Development was not as popular on those two streets as it was more interior to the subdivision and so Providence Real Estate had purchased some of the remaining lots on these two streets and the current residents were LIVID that the same standards that they had to adhere to were not applicable to this builder. So what was the result? Well...look at the home located at 7435 Wild Bird Ct (built by Pebblebrook Homes) and then look at the next door neighbor that build 4 years later at 7443 Wild Bird Ct (built by Providence Homes)...huge difference and not in a good way...
A lot of the homes in the Cypress gate appear to be really nice, custom homes. I toured a home built by Reinsma Builders a few years ago on 103rd and was really impressed by the quality and size of the home. I believe it was priced around the $400,000 mark when I viewed it. Had it not been for the very small yard, I would have definitely considered buying that house, but I sure am glad I didn't now that all of the houses sorrounding it are going to be cookie cutter, low quality homes. I instead chose to buy a house right by Autumn Creek and so I drive past those two culdesacs all the time. I was very underwhelmed with the quality of those new homes built by Providence. Providence Homes has the cheapest looking, ugliest houses of any builder in NWI in my opinion. Even Olthof has nicer looking homes and better floor plans than Providence. I was very disappointed when I found out that they were going to be building in Village Circle in Dyer. I think that that site could have attracted a nicer builder(s) than Providence to come in and finish the development out, and the same goes for the Gates with Ryland/CalAtlantic Homes.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:24 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,455,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze55 View Post
A lot of the homes in the Cypress gate appear to be really nice, custom homes. I toured a home built by Reinsma Builders a few years ago on 103rd and was really impressed by the quality and size of the home. I believe it was priced around the $400,000 mark when I viewed it. Had it not been for the very small yard, I would have definitely considered buying that house, but I sure am glad I didn't now that all of the houses sorrounding it are going to be cookie cutter, low quality homes. I instead chose to buy a house right by Autumn Creek and so I drive past those two culdesacs all the time. I was very underwhelmed with the quality of those new homes built by Providence. Providence Homes has the cheapest looking, ugliest houses of any builder in NWI in my opinion. Even Olthof has nicer looking homes and better floor plans than Providence. I was very disappointed when I found out that they were going to be building in Village Circle in Dyer. I think that that site could have attracted a nicer builder(s) than Providence to come in and finish the development out, and the same goes for the Gates with Ryland/CalAtlantic Homes.
Providence Homes quality is about the same as Olthof but Olthof has a more polished look to their homes and their Signature series homes are better quality. I still do not understand how Olthof could not finish Village Circle West due to financial reasons but they were able to start and finish Pennington (which yes, is smaller) as well as continue other much larger developments like Hamilton Square, Saddle Creek & Silverleaf, etc. Just did not make sense to me.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:11 PM

815 posts, read 2,985,490 times
Quote:
Providence Homes quality is about the same as Olthof but Olthof has a more polished look to their homes and their Signature series homes are better quality. I still do not understand how Olthof could not finish Village Circle West due to financial reasons but they were able to start and finish Pennington (which yes, is smaller) as well as continue other much larger developments like Hamilton Square, Saddle Creek & Silverleaf, etc. Just did not make sense to me.
Could be a lot of reasons. They may have only had an option on the property and it expired (an option meaning they didn't own it outright, but bought the right to buy it, if certain things happened, like approval to build or a good economy). Or they had too much on their plate already and they had to give up the property (each subdivision is a separate corp. to prevent total bankruptcy of the main company) and Providence offered to buy them out. Other subdivisions may be more profitable for them to do and it wasn't anymore in the case of Village Circle. It has to pencil out, and that means if the situation changes on you, you sometimes have to cut bait and move on.

In the long term its probably better anyway, as Olthof has built a lot in that area. Good to have some variety. Though the overall product isn't too different.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:25 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,674,344 times
Quote:
Not sure if anything financially is going on with Olthof? They purchased the remaining land in North Point off Marquette just this past summer. They had not acquired it previously. They just opened their 3rd phase with 31 lots. Quite a few sold already and they are starting at $25k more than last year. This will finish the subdivision however.

On a side note.....the original "custom" home owners in Northpoint (built around 2006-2010) were quite pissed when Olthof started buying up the builder lots when the market crashed and started building. I understand why they might be pissed, but most of those homeowners won't even associate with anyone who built an Olthof home! What I find interesting is the original homes here were on a smaller scale then most custom homes typically are in this area and most have 2 car garages. Also lot of split levels. All of Olthof homes that are being built here are 2 stories (which I think is just a nicer look) and most have 3 car garages. Obviously no one here is paying $500k+ for an Olthof home, but I know a few of my neighbors who have paid in the high $300's (close to $400k)with all the upgrades! I personally think Ryland has better floor plans than Olthof, but that's just opinion.

At any rate, I think there are also better subdivisions to build a custom home in St. John than in the Gates. I'm just not impressed with the electrical wires and towers that run through that subdivision. If I'm building a custom home and spending upwards of $400k I don't want to see that crap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana