Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 PM

17 posts, read 102,593 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite NW Indiana city (or township)?

OK, I'm from Gary (and proud of it and hope to one day return to teach there; don't judge me, LOL). But I'm gonna say Hobart, because of the mall!!

OK... your turn... what's your fav. city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,702 times
I would have to say Crown Point. I lived in NWI for most of my life: Schererville, Crown Point, and St John. St John was the nicest area, but I love the square in Crown Point. We lived just off of the square and could walk around and just look at all the shops. Very nice.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Growing up I liked Hobart and Cedar Lake. But things have changed alot since the 60's. The only good thing I see now in Hobart is The Paragon Bar and Restaurant. [best gyros]. And I have heard that you cant eat the fish out of Cedar lake any more. For that matter, Gary used to be a great place. But oh how things change!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Another memory just came to mind--Lake Eliza. We used to camp and swim there. And believe it or not, you used to be able to see up and coming rock bands there. Grand Funk,Brownsville Station,Black Oak Arkansas. Anything there now?

Old 02-13-2008, 07:24 AM

58 posts, read 228,730 times
It's a close tie between Saint John and Crown Point, but I'll have to go with Saint John.

OPSMAN

Old 02-14-2008, 01:05 AM

34 posts, read 178,197 times
Michigan City I was born and raised there. So its the only place besides chesterton but chesterton is number 2 on my list.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:15 AM

950 posts, read 3,192,065 times
Lafayette, though I have never lived in Indiana. My family and I often visited my relatives in nearby Westpoint. I really enjoyed attending the Church in Newtown.

Should I ever get tired of Atlanta (GA), I would consider moving to the Lafayette/West Lafayette/Crawfordsville area. I believe I will like up there as I grew up in rural Tennessee.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:25 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Munster and Valparaiso a close 2nd

Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 55,418 times
I'm from Dyer. Dyer was a place that felt quite countryish back then. Now, it's just overflowing with Illinoisans. Not as nice as it once was...but still not a bad place in the region.

I lived for a bit in Highland and always thought it was a nice town. I'm not sure about how it is today, though. It looks more run down than I recall. It's certainly quite expensive for what you get there. One thing for sure. When I go back up to The Region, with a few exceptions, much of it looks so old and run down. I live in the Indy area now and that's my comparison. Indy is getting crowded and the schools are getting huge everywhere there's a decent commute. I'm also tired of Indy after living here for so many years.

I've thought about moving back up, though. I miss a lot of things in the Chicago area. My parents are getting older and I'd like to live closer to my family. Of course, my wife feels the same about moving to South Carolina to be closer to her family. :-) There are hardly any good paying jobs in South Carolina and there are still many good paying jobs in the Chicagoland area. That's likely the winning variable.

Tom T. Rriffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by missteacherlady View Post
What's your favorite NW Indiana city (or township)?

OK, I'm from Gary (and proud of it and hope to one day return to teach there; don't judge me, LOL). But I'm gonna say Hobart, because of the mall!!

OK... your turn... what's your fav. city?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:10 PM

15 posts, read 55,418 times
Mexican gang activity is on the rise in Lafayette. That might be something to consider. There aren't many good jobs in Lafayette left either. Lafayette was always a weird market, though. Lafayette employers seem to not mind paying people to come in but once you are there looking for a job expect lower pay.

Tom T. Rriffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Lafayette, though I have never lived in Indiana. My family and I often visited my relatives in nearby Westpoint. I really enjoyed attending the Church in Newtown.

Should I ever get tired of Atlanta (GA), I would consider moving to the Lafayette/West Lafayette/Crawfordsville area. I believe I will like up there as I grew up in rural Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana