Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 03:42 PM

143 posts, read 217,719 times

Advertisements

Do you think Hammond can turn itself around in the next 10-20 years? With some smart investments in Hammond, I think that it would be able to attract many people who would move to other suburbs with a similar commute to Chicago. The many historic mansions on the east side of Hammond could be really desirable for families if the school system is improved to rival Munster's or even Naperville's. I also think Whiting should relocate any factories too close to the lakefront to turn into green space. It would take quite a bit of investment, but I think Hammond could become quite desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 08:26 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times
You mention "some smart investments" in reference to Hammond becoming more desirable. Like what?

Something enough to make a young successful family overlook the fact that the town has a heavy gang influence and schools are near the bottom of the state?

Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 AM

625 posts, read 1,810,033 times
I personally don't see it happening. What changes communities is the people living there. If the people have no desire to make it more attractive, the investment won't follow. It starts with the people, and unfortunately, the people of Hammond have made it clear that they don't value the persona their city has.

I shouldn't say all people of Hammond, because there are people who obviously care, but it seems like the majority doesn't. It's unfortunate because a city with that location seems like it would have a gold mine.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:18 PM

143 posts, read 217,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
I personally don't see it happening. What changes communities is the people living there. If the people have no desire to make it more attractive, the investment won't follow. It starts with the people, and unfortunately, the people of Hammond have made it clear that they don't value the persona their city has.

I shouldn't say all people of Hammond, because there are people who obviously care, but it seems like the majority doesn't. It's unfortunate because a city with that location seems like it would have a gold mine.
Hence why I think it could really be redeveloped into something nice. Close to the city, as well as the lake, with a large stock of vintage houses filled with character. I'm probably just crazy, but I could picture the artsy young hipsters settling in if Hammond gives them a great bonus to live there. Hammond could give hefty tax breaks to businesses that can turn downtown into a "hip" artsy place. They could follow Gary's example and sell abandoned homes for $1, and go through a scrupulous background check. All it takes is one block to turn a whole neighborhood around, and then one neighborhood to turn the whole city around. And if Hammond becomes a "hip" new area, young professionals will follow, and then have families, in turn making the schools nicer. But, it's probably not realistic. It would be cool though

Old 05-08-2016, 02:58 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
HAMMOND

While Hammond has not fallen nearly as hard as EC or Gary, there is still much to be desired. The homes that the OP is talking about are almost all occupied by long-time residents most of whom do not have school-aged children. In addition to this, the schools zoned to that area are not even amongst the better ones in Hammond. The better ranked schools in Hammond are in Hessville. Homes in Hessville are not as impressive as those in the forest-ivanhoe historical district but that area would be more appealing to middle class folks whom desire to live in Hammond. The homes in forest-ivanhoe are priced comparable to many homes in Munster, Highland, and Dyer which obviously are in better school districts and with commutes that are about the same to the city or only a bit longer.

With all of this being said, I do think that Hammond could become much better than it is now. For one, Hammond never suffered the amount of devastating flight that Gary had and there are a lot of very loyal residents with children whom are loyal to the city as well. This needs to be preserved. At the same time, there are also newer residents whom are becoming loyal to the city as well. New and redeveloped housing needs to be pushed. Many of the homes are just unsuitable for the majority of 21st century families especially families that have multiple generations living with them. The Parrish View subdivision in Hammond as well as the subdivision just south of Morton High School fulfilled some of the needs for more executive style newer housing, but there are other areas in the city where this can be met as well. All the areas of Hammond that have seen new home development are mostly 100% occupied and stabled -- this alone shows that there are people with money that do want to live in Hammond. Not everyone desires to move to Munster, Highland, Tri-Town or Crown Point no matter how much better the schools are. The more money is retained in Hammond, the more educated people will remain, and schools can become more desirable.

Now as long as people NWI can get over the fact that Hammond (and almost every other area) will never be lily-white again, Hammond can continue to improve. The demographic shifts in Hammond may not have spooked residents as the shifts in Gary and Merrillville have, but if people do not acknowledge that the city can hope to be both 50% racial/ethnic minority and still a decent place, then there is no hope, and that is a fact.

Gangs in Hammond are another sore spot too that must continue to be dealt with, but it is difficult. However, it seems like the city is trying the best that they can to address this issue before it gets worse.

Retail and commercial activity in Hammond is getting better. The city is finally starting to get some decent brands there which will help keep money in the city. Soon, people will no longer have to go to Munster, Highland, or Schererville to get Starbucks and I am sure some other bigger brands will follow soon.

Lastly, this may sound strange, but I do think that recent and ongoing success of Whiting will actually help Hammond.

WHITING

In the next 10-20 years, I see Whiting as a much more popular destination than it is now. There is a ton of redevelopment going on and the Lakefront/Wihala Beach has been a major part of this. New housing development in the city is strong at price ranges that many people wouldn't have thought would have flew in the city (and not lake-facing property either). Some Whiting residents are upset that prices to rent have increased and I do feel for those whom are on fixed incomes. The mayor has said that the city is working on developing some multi-family housing specifically for seniors as the housing in the city is dominated by single-family housing; however, I do think the city needs to be extremely cautious about this as well. As long as new housing (especially rental housing) remains upscale, everything should be fine.

Schools in Whiting are not too bad and the more educated populace resides in the city, the more stable they will be.

The key to this general area being successful to is also try to focus on redevelopment and stabilization of the Robertsdale area (the area with some Whiting addresses but Hammond schools). The schools are not the greatest but housing stock is pretty nice. This needs to be capitalized on.

If I can think of anything else, I will make sure to post.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 1,854 times
Northwest, I see your last post on this was in 2016, do you think that Robertsdale has improved, stayed the same or declined in recent years? I just bought a home in Robertsdale (while I don't have much knowledge of the area) I have never felt unsafe or that it was dangerous or even sketchy, working class, sure! But, I really think the area is getting nicer. I have had some family judge on where I bought when they live in Cal Twnshp & Portage (lmao)

Old 04-11-2024, 10:12 AM

277 posts, read 442,124 times
This post has aged pretty well since its start back in 2016. We are at the 8 year mark so it still falls into the 10-20 yr mark.

Noteable infrastructure changes have started to happen with the West Lake Corridor (south shore expansion) getting closer to completion. The "Downtown Hammond Revitalization is in progress to save the heart of the city" is underway with the new train station being a focal point. https://nwindianaliving.com/downtown...evitalization/

The common theme in above posts still stand, however with the people needing to change culture - being done with gangs, drugs and violence. With the newer infrastructure, there's a chance that developers could continue the growth surrounding the area drawing in respectable people and ultimately pricing out the rif-raf. It would need to start in the location and sprawl out from there.

This would then push the rif-raf away but where do they go? Gary is starting to see some improved neighborhoods, I see Lansing which already has been struggling to maintain its culture the past decade being a victim to allow Hammond to be more desireable.

I grew up in Lansing and have plenty of family still there. Makes me nervous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana