Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 08:29 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njova195 View Post
"My Kind of Town" you crack me up! You should really take a look at the exit of people leaving Illinois because of the state's financial mess. I live in Munster and own two rental condos in downtown Chicago. Illinois is losing more middle to higher income families than any state. Another thing to consider is the state universities in Illinois. The state of Illinois has Illinois, UIC, South Illinois, Northern Illinois, and Illinois State. Nothing to brag about at all. The state of Indiana has Purdue and Indiana University. Both schools are something to brag about.

Also what kind of person devotes so much time and energy to writing on a blog about NW Indiana when they live in Illinois. That is very strange to say the least..hahaha. Are you a real estate agent? I bet you don't even live in Hindsdale...haha

Seriously...we all really want to know why you love to comment on the NWI blog so much? Are you trying to stop your neighbors from moving to Munster?..hahaha
The thing is Illinois has many super high income jobs at the tip-top of the income that aren't replicated in Indiana. Those folks are not leaving IL for IN, TN, etc. Serious money is in IL.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:49 PM

32 posts, read 20,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The thing is Illinois has many super high income jobs at the tip-top of the income that aren't replicated in Indiana. Those folks are not leaving IL for IN, TN, etc. Serious money is in IL.
You are correct that the jobs aren't all leaving. I live in Munster and work downtown in the loop. I made over $250K last year and pay my taxes to Indiana. It's not about where you work champ....It's where you chose to pay your taxes

Old 06-29-2016, 09:03 PM

3,496 posts, read 2,187,636 times
Quote:
You are correct that the jobs aren't all leaving. I live in Munster and work downtown in the loop. I made over $250K last year and pay my taxes to Indiana. It's not about where you work champ....It's where you chose to pay your taxes
LOL, and you're questioning whether I live in Hinsdale. So someone that thinks IU and Purdue are far and away more prestigious than U of I, yet you clear over $250k a year and still commute from Munster to the loop? This doesn't add up. Joke's on you.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Yep you got me. Darn. I went to school at VU and have friends that reside in NWI. Didn't know i needed to live there to have the right to comment on it.

University of Ilinois is nothing to brag about but IU is? That's an interesting perspective. UIC is also highly competitive in the medical field especially for part-time and advanced degree programs.
The thing is, everyone is wondering what's your obsession for NWI? I work downtown and live in Munster so I am commenting about NWI. Do you long for the lower taxes and fiscal stability Indiana has? Are you trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision with your home purchase in IL long term? You know as an alum, you could probably save some money by sending your kids to Valpo. You should look into that

Old 06-29-2016, 09:19 PM

435 posts, read 430,952 times
Quote:
Don't know why I even bother responding to the previous poster but to those reading that may be interested in such a thing:

Top Public Schools | National Universities | US News Best Colleges

You responded b/c you seem to really love talking about NWI. I think most of the posters here live in NWI, so maybe you would like to socialize and mingle with us after all?

Quote:
Not for me. NWI simply does not appeal to me just as the south/southwest suburbs do not appeal to me. Much of this has to do with proximity to employment opportunities but also the noticeable difference in social class and education of the residents. I don't intend to come off as some arrogant d*ck but I feel more comfortable raising a family in this environment rather than somewhere in the southwest suburbs or NWI. Anyone that has spent considerable time in either region will feel the difference. Has nothing to do with race either. I will admit maybe it is changing because it's been 10 years since I lived/went to school in NWI but my feeling is it hasn't changed all that much based on my return trips back to Valpo and surrounding areas.

I also wouldn't consider many north/northwest suburbs because of proximity to employment opportunities. I would probably move out of the area if I could not afford the western suburbs east of Geneva or north suburbs relatively close to the city and highway access (i.e. Park Ridge, Wilmette, etc. would work but Lake Forest wouldn't).
So I googled the definition of snob after reading this post and the aftermath and this is what came up:

"A person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class. A person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people."

Now, I think you have heard several people say "to each his own" on this forum. This is anti-snob. Also you have heard people say they enjoy living in a more economically and socially diverse area like NWI. Again, this is anti-snob.

I even complimented you on your strategy and choice in IL. We get it, YOUwouldn't want to live here. But you have to recognize that some people making over $200K are choosing NWI over IL. Some people don't want to pay more to live in a uniformly affluent area. Moreover, some people want a more economically diverse, socially diverse and down-to-earth environment to raise a family. I am not saying that all people of the "Hinsdales" of the world are snobby but you are going to find more of it there than NWI. That's just a fact jack.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
The thing is, everyone is wondering what's your obsession for NWI? I work downtown and live in Munster so I am commenting about NWI. Do you long for the lower taxes and fiscal stability Indiana has? Are you trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision with your home purchase in IL long term? You know as an alum, you could probably save some money by sending your kids to Valpo. You should look into that
My obsession? There is no obsession. Yesterday I added a few posts to this thread to offer the perspective of a current IL resident that once lived in NWI and still have friends living there and today have responded to a series of posts directed at me by others. Am I mistaken that the physical thread title refers to Illinois specifically? How is this thread not related to both NWI and Illinois or more specifically the Chicago metro?

Clearly, McDonaldIndy has created a new username and profile. Sorry but not tricking me.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Don't know why I even bother responding to the previous poster but to those reading that may be interested in such a thing:

Top Public Schools | National Universities | US News Best Colleges
Yes, I read it. I was very impressed to see Purdue at #21 and Indiana at #29 ranked Nationally. BTW...UIC was ranked #129. Valpo University was even ranked nationally...Hmmm? They were rated #5 as a regional university. Not sure what that means?

You mentioned graduate programs. Purdue #9 Nationally in Engineering and Indiana #21 in Business.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
Some people don't want to pay more to live in a uniformly affluent area. Moreover, some people want a more economically diverse, socially diverse and down-to-earth environment to raise a family. I am not saying that all people of the "Hinsdales" of the world are snobby but you are going to find more of it there than NWI. That's just a fact jack.
Agreed. I would never live in a place like Hinsdale even if I was a millionaire especially if I had children to raise. Too many abstract negative aspects, like excessive pressure from literally all sides on a child to do well. There's a reason why there are alarming teen suicides in the most competitive school districts. It's an ugly truth.

Stress crisis: How Bay Area schools struggle to keep kids safe - San Jose Mercury News

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/26...-students.html

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/26...ww.google.com/

http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2015/05/...akota-pressure

I went to Valpo schools, graduated college, graduated law school, passed the California Bar Exam, and have a great job practicing federal law. And I didn't have to go to the top rated school in Chicagoland to do so. And I can count among my high school colleagues doctors, other lawyers, engineers, professors, journalists, sports stars, high dollar coastal real estate agents, accountants, successful business owners, nurses, teachers, social workers, and plenty of all around great, down to earth people.

Last edited by Bluefox; 06-29-2016 at 09:48 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
You responded b/c you seem to really love talking about NWI. I think most of the posters here live in NWI, so maybe you would like to socialize and mingle with us after all?

So I googled the definition of snob after reading this post and the aftermath and this is what came up:

"A person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class. A person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people."

Now, I think you have heard several people say "to each his own" on this forum. This is anti-snob. Also you have heard people say they enjoy living in a more economically and socially diverse area like NWI. Again, this is anti-snob.

I even complimented you on your strategy and choice in IL. We get it, YOUwouldn't want to live here. But you have to recognize that some people making over $200K are choosing NWI over IL. Some people don't want to pay more to live in a uniformly affluent area. Moreover, some people want a more economically diverse, socially diverse and down-to-earth environment to raise a family. I am not saying that all people of the "Hinsdales" of the world are snobby but you are going to find more of it there than NWI. That's just a fact jack.
I responded because I wanted to correct a statement that was factually incorrect.

I don't disagree with anything you said in the last paragraph. However, it does seem contradictory that some people here residing in NWI aspire to a higher social class (based on their posts) but in the same breath rip it while citing they want a more economically and socially diverse environment. If that's the case why would you welcome or actually promote an influx of wealthy folks into your region? Wouldn't this result in a more uniformly affluent area and work against everything you stand for? This isn't a question for you specifically per se but for others on this forum.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:36 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
But what if Chicago and Illinois get into an even worse situation, start further soaking with taxes, and that drives an increasing number of jobs out of Chicago? If Chicago sneezes, NWI will catch a cold. If Chicago has major problems, Munster and other NWI communities will really struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana