Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:47 AM

255 posts, read 414,022 times

Advertisements

1 wounded in shooting outside Munster Jewel-Osco | Northwest Indiana Crime and Court | nwitimes.com

Yeesh that's not good, certainly not something that happens very frequently in Munster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 11:26 AM

435 posts, read 430,321 times
Default St Thomas More Carnival Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
1 wounded in shooting outside Munster Jewel-Osco | Northwest Indiana Crime and Court | nwitimes.com

Yeesh that's not good, certainly not something that happens very frequently in Munster.
I think the issue is the carnival hosted by St. Thomas More. It is attracting an unsavory element into Munster. People from out of town were using the Jewel parking lot to go over to the carnival b/c they didn't want to walk further. My hubs overhead some of the Jewel checkers/baggers talk about how it was becoming an issue yesterday.

Seems like the St. Thomas More carnival is not really good for Munster. St. Thomas More should be allowed to host an art festival next year not a carnival. That would attract a totally different crowd. Safety is more important than filling the church coffers and the Munster taxpayers aren't getting any sort of benefit from this. I can drive my kids to 6 Flags in Gurnee. The equipment there is much safer than a traveling carnival anyway.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:28 PM

157 posts, read 402,937 times
Last time I was at that fair was about 10 to 15 years ago back when I was still in school and even then it didn't feel very safe. I can remember different groups of thugs shouting insults at each other so I just quickly moved along so I wouldn't get stuck in the middle of something about to go down. If the town cares about their residents at all this should be the last year they give St. Thomas More a permit to have this thing. It is in no way about reaching out to the community as a church should be doing. It's only purpose is to make money off of dangerous rides and alcohol sales.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:35 PM

255 posts, read 414,022 times
One of the NWI Times Gallery pictures shows one of the cars hit by gunfire had an Illinois license plate. So the shooting probably involved Illinois residents, we'll have to wait to see what Munster PD finds out in their ongoing investigation.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:21 PM

119 posts, read 154,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
One of the NWI Times Gallery pictures shows one of the cars hit by gunfire had an Illinois license plate. So the shooting probably involved Illinois residents, we'll have to wait to see what Munster PD finds out in their ongoing investigation.
Those Illinois residents were probably buying groceries as its opened at that time of day and is close to the Indiana/Illinois border. I used to stop there frequently when I lived in Lansing for groceries when I worked shift work at the steel mill.

Either way, hopefully there is some justice as rampant things like this need to be stopped.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:24 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,487,750 times
Munster and its residents sure is not perfect, but I be surprised if any Munster resident was involved only because every year this is held, someone involving an out of towner always happens.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:16 PM

435 posts, read 430,321 times
Default Stop it by not providing enviornment for it to fester...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
Those Illinois residents were probably buying groceries as its opened at that time of day and is close to the Indiana/Illinois border. I used to stop there frequently when I lived in Lansing for groceries when I worked shift work at the steel mill.

Either way, hopefully there is some justice as rampant things like this need to be stopped.
The Strack on Ridge has much more IL crossover shopping. But the car shot could very well just be an IL shopper's car caught in the crossfire. I just don't think this was one group of shoppers vs. another group of shoppers fighting. Who goes shopping in groups at 10PM on a Sunday? What would the shoppers be fighting over? The last box of Cheerios? I've been to this Jewel several times that late at night without fear of this type of activity.

The church carnival ended at 10PM and this happened at 10PM. Coincidence? Whether those involved were from Gary IN or Lansing IL, I don't care. I just don't see any reason to offer events that attract anybody with violent tendencies into your community.

Time for the Carnival to go. Have a Homemade Pie Contest instead and have it end at 5PM. Or like I said before, a craft/air fair. Times are changing and you need to change with them. Just because something was a good idea 25 year ago, doesn't mean it is now.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:41 AM

277 posts, read 442,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
Time for the Carnival to go. Have a Homemade Pie Contest instead and have it end at 5PM. Or like I said before, a craft/air fair. Times are changing and you need to change with them. Just because something was a good idea 25 year ago, doesn't mean it is now.

Tragic for sure, but I agree with you. I frequent many carnivals every year with my kids as I love the small town fun during the summer months. But when your carnivals are too close to bad areas, they are bound to ruin the party for everyone. Granted, I wouldn't be out that late with my kids as they're young, but that doesn't mean anyone should fear going to any amusement parks.

Let's hope DyerFest is far enough south for now to keep out the riff raff.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:56 AM

17,346 posts, read 14,606,875 times
I agree that the carnival probably has to come to an end - but the sad part is that it was a big money maker for St. Thomas More.

Why do people have to be idiots?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:40 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,487,750 times
This is not to say that ALL Hammond residents are bad, because that is furthest from the truth...but like I and many others thought...

Hammond man charged in Munster Jewel-Osco shooting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana