Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 05:17 PM

166 posts, read 280,719 times

Advertisements

The longstanding drive-around has existed for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 07:44 AM

275 posts, read 436,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1064 View Post
The longstanding drive-around has existed for years.
Last I read, it was the IN residents that were still opposed to it. I thought IN finally got the federal funds approved to get this work done?

This 2013 article articulates that the IN side could get started by 2017 and the final project done in 2019. Maybe it's just one of those long planned items for budgeting reasons.

Joe Orr Road project could help spur south suburban economic development - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Old 06-28-2016, 09:17 AM

166 posts, read 280,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
Last I read, it was the IN residents that were still opposed to it. I thought IN finally got the federal funds approved to get this work done?

This 2013 article articulates that the IN side could get started by 2017 and the final project done in 2019. Maybe it's just one of those long planned items for budgeting reasons.

Joe Orr Road project could help spur south suburban economic development - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

@iidreamtheaterii

Thanks for the update! Why would IN residents be opposed to progress and improved infrastructure?

Old 06-28-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1064 View Post
@iidreamtheaterii

Thanks for the update! Why would IN residents be opposed to progress and improved infrastructure?
I don't believe it was many that were opposed - just the local residents that would be impacted. There was a site that was a petition to kill the project that only got 100/1000 petitions needed to actually make a case. My only reason for mentioning it was to call out anyone that might know if this had any merit in a delay of the project, however I think it truly is the long process/planning to actually get it done.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:31 PM

219 posts, read 300,102 times
I can't wait for this project to finish. The US-30 overpass at Sauk Trail in Lynwood is a huge improvement.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:16 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,445,325 times
I know that on the Munster side, they are waiting for the NICTD extension so that the project could be done around the same time. The town does not have jurisdiction over the rail. At first, it would have been at "at grade" crossing, but with the south shore extension, it will now most likely be an underpass/overpass.

On the IL side, the next step is for CCDOTH to extend Joe Orr from Torrance Ave to Turnham Ave...as far as I know, no work has begun.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I know that on the Munster side, they are waiting for the NICTD extension so that the project could be done around the same time. The town does not have jurisdiction over the rail. At first, it would have been at "at grade" crossing, but with the south shore extension, it will now most likely be an underpass/overpass.
I never thought about the NICTD extension having an impact on this specific spot, but it does make sense as they're still not solidified on in the final plan yet. However that surely puts a damper on any timeframe as the extension has a ways to go before that's figured out in full. 2018 start maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
View detailed profiles of: