U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:22 AM

253 posts, read 335,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. CP won't/can't gain in desirability if the town doesn't add commercial development? Based on what? Many people like the idea of a "bedroom community" to the more commercially focused town of Merrillville.

Also, what do you mean Merrillville got sprawled over?
CP won't grow to the same level as Orland Park if they don't get some upscale or close to upscale commercial related development. I phrased that badly my bad. And Merrillville sprawled over Gary, and now Winfield and CP have sprawled over Merrillville. Basic sprawl cycle. Same as Plano sprawl and now Frisco sprawl down in Texas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 02:49 PM

253 posts, read 335,234 times
I was in Crown Point for the CP Lowell football game and I drove around through some of the newer subdivisions. I would estimate that there were between 40-60 homes under construction or just being finished. The Regency is a hot subdivision right now, I did see some blacks and Hispanics in that subdivision. Copper Creek is also building fast. CP's desirability is good right now, lots of different options for new homes, price range for nearly everyone.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:16 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,557,584 times
Default Affordability is not always a good thing

If there is housing that nearly everyone can afford that means the area could be prone to white flight if there are nearby low income minority areas.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:22 AM

11,584 posts, read 5,884,505 times
This is comment is not toward CP, but NW Indiana in general. We have only been here a few months moving from Illinois. Moved to the northern part of Saint John in a newer development which is almost an all white area. The same time we moved in, several other families did as well and it was quite diverse...3 other white families, 3 black families, one Spanish and one Asian. We were shocked at how diverse our area is. Further more, my friend who lives in Cedar Lake was also very surprised that Saint John is becoming so diverse as it was not in the past. It doesn't bother me at all as I would rather a community be more diverse, but I do have a new neighbor that is definitely not happy about it!

Old 08-23-2016, 07:06 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,557,584 times
Default Saint John diversity

What do you mean by Spanish?

To me that is someone from Spain, not Hispanic (which ironically means literally someone from Hispaniola region Spain but generaly refers to person of mixed indigenous blood from Latin America). Like my wife whose family is from Mexico and is mixture of Spanish and Aztec/Mayan ancestry.

As long as that diversity (skin color and culture) is upper middle class you will be fine.

I assume if they can buy house in Saint John these are families making over 50 and probably 100k.

We all like diversity so long as it is bunch of middle class to upper middle class homeowners. Not so much for working class and lower class diversity.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:17 PM

2,138 posts, read 5,105,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
This is comment is not toward CP, but NW Indiana in general. We have only been here a few months moving from Illinois. Moved to the northern part of Saint John in a newer development which is almost an all white area. The same time we moved in, several other families did as well and it was quite diverse...3 other white families, 3 black families, one Spanish and one Asian. We were shocked at how diverse our area is. Further more, my friend who lives in Cedar Lake was also very surprised that Saint John is becoming so diverse as it was not in the past. It doesn't bother me at all as I would rather a community be more diverse, but I do have a new neighbor that is definitely not happy about it!
While pretty much all of the suburbs in NWI are becoming more diverse, Saint John is not becoming diverse as fast as Schererville, Dyer , and especially Crown Point. The main difference is that in Tri-Town, racial/ethnic diversity is more evenly dispersed with the area of Schererville around Burr & 30, Briar Ridge CC, and the neighborhoods behind Jewel in Dyer being the most diverse and integrated. In Crown Point, the areas south of 101st are still mostly very White which is also reflected in the schools but most of the demographic change is occurring in the neighborhoods north of 101st which is in the Merrillville schools. Now out in Winfield, that area seems to be getting much more diverse than CP proper and this can be seen in the school demographics of Jerry Ross ES and Winfield ES. I predict that there will be more of a sharp increase in the Black population in 10 years kind of like there was in Merrillville but maybe not as much flight.

The fact that one of your neighbors was not happy about it is pretty normal given that many folks in south county moved there because the lack of diversity with either the complete lack of forsight that suburbs in general are getting more diverse or they thought that it would not occur as soon. One thing I did notice too was that some of the Black families I have seen in Saint John and CP have homes located at the entrances of the subdivisions and so I could only imagine that some other residents may fear that if people see them first, they may be turned off from being interested in moving into the neighborhood.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:45 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,348,019 times
When my parents left Gary in the 60's, they didn't stop in Merrillville, and neither did some of our neighbors, due chatter was already going around about Gary annexing Merrillville.

I graduated in the 70's from Crown Point, and there were already black families living there. This isn't something that just started happening in the last 10-15 yrs.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
When my parents left Gary in the 60's, they didn't stop in Merrillville, and neither did some of our neighbors, due chatter was already going around about Gary annexing Merrillville.

I graduated in the 70's from Crown Point, and there were already black families living there. This isn't something that just started happening in the last 10-15 yrs.
White flight from Gary was not just limited to Merrillville, true. It also went to pretty much every suburban area such as Munster, Griffith, Highland, Dyer, Schererville, Saint John, Hobart, Crown Point, Lowell, Portage, Chesterton, and Valpo. There was actually even flight from Gary INTO Hammond. However, Merrillville by far was the largest recipient of the flight. The talk of Gary annexing Merrillville pretty much ended when Merrillville became incorporated in 1971 (although a real estate agent decided to bring up those fears again--this time irrationally--detailed in this article: Using racial fears for profit?

While there may have been black families in the 70s, it was very few. You can even look at historical demographic profiles of region schools and see how few Black students there were (at times, even 0). Increase in the Black population in Crown Point Schools wasn't really noticeable until the early 2000s. Most of the growth in the Black population in Crown Point has been in Ross Township. Only within the past 10-15 years has there been more noticeable growth south of 101st in Center Township and Winfield Township. And because it is more noticeable, many folks down there ARE acting like Blacks just started moving there at all this year.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:38 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
White flight from Gary was not just limited to Merrillville, true. It also went to pretty much every suburban area such as Munster, Griffith, Highland, Dyer, Schererville, Saint John, Hobart, Crown Point, Lowell, Portage, Chesterton, and Valpo. There was actually even flight from Gary INTO Hammond. However, Merrillville by far was the largest recipient of the flight. The talk of Gary annexing Merrillville pretty much ended when Merrillville became incorporated in 1971 (although a real estate agent decided to bring up those fears again--this time irrationally--detailed in this article: Using racial fears for profit?

While there may have been black families in the 70s, it was very few. You can even look at historical demographic profiles of region schools and see how few Black students there were (at times, even 0). Increase in the Black population in Crown Point Schools wasn't really noticeable until the early 2000s. Most of the growth in the Black population in Crown Point has been in Ross Township. Only within the past 10-15 years has there been more noticeable growth south of 101st in Center Township and Winfield Township. And because it is more noticeable, many folks down there ARE acting like Blacks just started moving there at all this year.
I graduated in 72, and was a Center Township resident, not Ross Township.

I remember when Merrillville incorporated themselves as their own town. That was to stave off annexation.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I graduated in 72, and was a Center Township resident, not Ross Township.

I remember when Merrillville incorporated themselves as their own town. That was to stave off annexation.
I know you were, I wasn't arguing your residency. Growing up in Munster, on my block in a new subdivision, we were one of three Black families and there were only 5 other families on the block -- two were White and three were Indian. The rest were empty lots so it seemed like we were extremely diverse then; however, all of the new homes built after us were White residents. While there were some Black families, there wasn't many at all (enough to say that there was any huge growth in the Black population). You may have seen Black families living in Center Township at the time, but I wouldn't feel like there were that many to be noticeable (or for some residents, fearful that a huge increase is coming). I know in ti-town--specifically in Briar Ridge--there were a lot of Black families in the 80-90s but many of them sent their children to private school either at Marian Catholic or some schools in Chicago--not schools within Lake Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana