Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 11:29 AM

52 posts, read 213,023 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Dune Acres Indiana. I found it while doing a web search of Indy and when I checked it out further it seems to not have anything for tourists just residents. Does anyone know if they have a hotel or how to get a beach pass so you can park and play on the beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 11:47 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
I think that Dune Acres is mainly a pocket of residential and a train station. You can find a website for the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and I'm sure there are hotels in nearby Chesterton.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:43 AM

34 posts, read 178,163 times
Well if you like camping during the summer then yeah its pretty rustic spot. Ah very small just more private then public your best bet would be Chesterton or Michigan City. Holiday inn and hampton inn in Michigan city and chesterton has the hilton and best western. We also have stuff for the summer look at festivals inthe summer in the surrounding areas. Michigan City, Chesterton, and Valparasio. Lots of stuff to do in the summer then the winter and spring. Thier is also stuff to do in the fall if you have kids.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,324 times
Dune Acres, Ogden Dunes, Michiana Shores, and Beverly Shores are small enclaves. They were platted in the early part of the century as exclusive/resort communities.

I'm not sure why they stagnated. It seems like they never grew to their full potential. I believe I remember reading that more phases of building were planned, but due to financial reasons or market conditions were never built. Those communities were for the most part completely built by 1950/1960 and have been almost untouched since then.

So all four of those communities remain small, isolated, and self-governing. They each have their own town boards and extremely strict zoning. Only Beverly Shores allows any public access to its lakefront, and that is due to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (federal park) having the rights to build access and control roads.

If you're coming to this area for tourism, the National Lakeshore extends from Gary to Michigan City, over 20 miles, with 6-7 major access points for the lakefront, and parking. You'll want to check out the lake from at least 2-3 different places, because each beach access is different and has its own personality and offers different views. The State Park offers a nature center and facilities. The State Park is a small portion of the lakefront compared with the national park. Chesterton and Portage both have good quality hotels.

Our lakefront is a mix of industry and nature. Not a good mix. But the National Lakeshore has been steadily expanding and adding acreage since inception in 1962. That's another reason the four beach communities have stagnated, they are now hemmed in and surrounded by nationally owned parkland.

If you're looking to buy here, beach property prices are high. The most open of the lakefront communities would be either Gary, Portage, Michigan City, or Porter. Porter is a friendly small town that includes Porter Beach. Portage is a growing, and nice, city that is developing its first municipal beach and encouraging residential development near the lakefront. Michigan City has a great lakefront park, beach, and zoo, and is safe. Gary's Miller Beach section is worth looking into if you're so inclined and you're more the urban pioneer type.

East of Michigan City there is one public access place but it is not easy to get into unless you live there. You can occasionally find some good deals on off-season beach house rentals east of Michigan City. Navigating the streets is quite a task though and the communities there have pretty much banned any and all parking, standing, and stopping, making your time there very uncomfortable unless you know someone who's driveway you can park in.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 PM

Here's an article from the Sun-Times dated 11/18/2007 -

DUNES PARK CHIEF WANTS MORE VISITORS
PORTER, Ind. -- The new superintendent of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore hopes more people in the region will consider visiting the 15,000-acre park along Lake Michigan's southern shore.
''When people think of national parks they're probably going to say the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone,'' Constantine Dillon told the Post-Tribune. ''They probably won't say the Indiana Dunes, and yet you've got something that's an easy drive or a train ride away. We want people to realize they don't have to spend hundreds of dollars and a week off of work to go visit a national park.''
The national park, established in 1966, stretches from near downtown Gary to the edge of Michigan City, surrounding the Indiana Dunes State Park, several industrial plants along the shore and two towns.
The park's visitor center is about 50 miles from Chicago.
Lynn McClure, Midwest regional director for the National Parks Conservation Association, said the park's dunes reach 180 feet high. Visitors can enjoy sunsets from the top of Mount Baldy or ride the Calumet Bike Trail. Families will want to visit the nature center. And with the arrival of lake-effect snow this winter, there will be cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in the park.
''Although it is only a few miles from Chicago, the dunes make you feel like you're in a completely different landscape,'' McClure said. ''Every visit is different because the winds and the water keep changing the dunes.'

And some park info -
Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore on Lake Michigan in Indiana

You may want to check these out too, pretty cool -
Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore - Century of Progress 1933 World's Fair Homes at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (U.S. National Park Service)

The Chicago Encyclopedia -
Beverly Shores, IN
Ogden Dunes, IN
Dune Acres, IN
Indiana Dunes

Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 PM

738 posts, read 1,883,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattygirl27 View Post
Does anyone know anything about Dune Acres Indiana. I found it while doing a web search of Indy and when I checked it out further it seems to not have anything for tourists just residents. Does anyone know if they have a hotel or how to get a beach pass so you can park and play on the beach?
Hi Katy,
I grew up in Gary Indiana and lived in Hobart and Portage. Very familiar w/ Dunes Acres. Beautiful place-simply beautiful. Check out Beverly Shores and Ogden Dunes which is located right next to Dunes Acres. You don't need a beach pass to go to many of the beaches up there. I prefer to go into the State of Michigan just across the Indiana state line.
Stay away from Gary.
Miller beaches as well. Just not safe. Have fun!!!!! It is wonderful!!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 47,499 times
Default Dune Acres

I used to live in Dune Acres...it's a BEAUTIFUL-WONDERFUL lit'l community..private...you must be a guest or know someone to get by the guard...beautiful private residences, the beach itself is clean and taken care of. Properties are expensive-but well worth the prestige of this community.
I miss it..but then again, don't miss the climate, cold, snow, continuous rainy days---am in Sedona, AZ NOW!

Old 04-30-2011, 07:01 PM

Interesting article by Jerry Davich in the Post Trib:
Welcome to Dune Acres! Now please turn around - Jerry Davich: Observations from the edge

Welcome to Dune Acres, now please turn around

By Jerry Davich on March 7, 2011 5:54 PM

The following column was printed in 2006 - one of my first for the Post Tribune - but I routinely get asked to republish it, so here it is. Don't be too hard on the guards, though. They're just doing their jobs.

Welcome to Dune Acres! Now please turn around: Upscale, pseudo-gated lakefront town does its best to keep out or intimidate unwanted visitors.

The female security guard exited the little guardhouse, walked up to my car and leaned down.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

For a sight-seeing drive through town, I told her.

"Not through here. This is Dune Acres."

Oh, I said. Well how about if I just visit the beach?

"Not here. This is a private beach."

Oh. Well how about if I just take a little cruise through the streets and be on my way?

"Well, I guess so," she said, hesitantly. "But don't stop to park anywhere and don't turn around in anyone's driveway."

OK, thanks. You have a nice day, too.

After I drove past the guardhouse, she picked up a phone and placed a call to Big Brother. Within minutes, a green minivan began trailing me.

Welcome to Dune Acres, the tiny lakefront town located just north of U.S. 12, just east of the steel mills, and just about as private as a public town can get.

The town has only one entrance, on Mineral Springs Road. Town officials like it this way. It keeps out the riff-raff - me, you and anyone who has the audacity to visit.

Although the town's roads are public, paid with taxpayers' dollars, and part of the town's beach is public --contrary to what security guards tell visitors -- and the town is, well, a town, not a gated community, it's been treated as such for decades.

"It's absolutely illegal Jerry," hissed Helen Boothe, a town resident since 1962.

"This sort of bullying has been going on here for many, many years. Town officials actually think they own the lakeshore and the beach. They don't."

Dune Acres became incorporated as a town in 1923 with a population of 16 people living in five homes. Today it has about 160 homes, some owned by full-time residents, others used primarily on weekends.

"It began as a bedroom community for University of Chicago professors,"
Boothe told me.

Somewhere along the way, a 24-hour police presence, intimidation tactics, and stalking minivans moved in.

A security camera at the guardhouse captures closed circuit video footage of all vehicles entering and exiting the town. At the tail end of a lengthy list of town ordinances, a disclaimer states, "The spirit of this Ordinance, written some time ago, was by no means intended to make Dune Acres a police state."

Yet as I drove through town earlier this week, a green minivan followed me all the way to the beach.

I got out of my car to see what was up.

"Howdy, you don't mind if I drive around, do you?" I asked the minivan's driver.

"You've been doing that, haven't you?" he replied with a smirk.

"Can I park at this beach?" I asked.

"Not unless you have a parking sticker," he said.

"What if someone drove into town and dropped me off at the beach?" I asked.

"Well, that would be OK I guess," he replied.

The older man's name is Irv Call, the town's Road Commissioner. His wife, Cecelia Call, is the town's police commissioner. Insert your own joke here about the town being a bedroom community.

I drove away from the beach and Call followed. I turned left, he turned left.

I turned right, he turned right.

Don't think of this as a neighborhood watch as much as a neighborhood stare-down until they watch you leave.

I turned into the town hall parking lot and so did he, talking on a cell phone.

Not seeing any deer, I pulled up next to him to shoot the bull.

"Do you follow everybody who drives through your town?" I asked Call.

"Not everybody. But it deters people who go down to the beach and raise Cain down there. Or the people who get lost and end up in someone's driveway or yard. It really makes the homeowners nervous."

Call said his wife oversees the private security firm policing the town and guardhouse.

"Do you get a lot of crime here?" I asked.

"Not much, more vandalism than anything else."

Are you allowed to follow whoever you want?

"If we get a call we go right out and find out who they are and where they went," Call said.

You're allowed to do that?

Call laughed: "I guess so."

Doesn't this seem like intimidation to you?

"Historically, they've done worse things than that to intimidate people," he said, laughing again. "But lately they moderated their position. That was before I came here."

"This doesn't seem too welcoming, does it?" I asked.

"No, but on the other hand, you didn't come in here to be welcomed," he told me.

But, I asked, following someone around your town is kind of creepy, don't you think?

Call said that's what the female security guard told him; that visitors came in and she didn't know where they were going. "It's kind of creepy," Call said.

"Oh, so we're the creepy ones?" I asked Call.

"Yeah, you're the creepy ones," he said, laughing.

At that point I checked my tape recorder to make sure it was still running and I exited the town.
In hindsight I was lucky to even get inside town limits.

A handful of other Post-Tribune staffers - appearing as visitors, not reporters -- recently approached the guardhouse with mixed results.

One female reporter and her friend arrived wearing beachgoer attire and blaring Eminem music. The older male guard asked where they're headed.

To visit a friend in town, she replied. He asked the friend's name. She made one up. He asked the friend's address. She didn't know. He asked the friend's phone number. She pretended to call and told the guard there's no answer. She ended up driving away.

Another female reporter, dressed professionally, arrived on a Sunday afternoon. An older male guard asked where she was going. She said for a drive through town.

He said the town is private, and she would have to turn around. When she questioned this, he kept repeating she would have to turn around.

She asked his name. He wouldn't give it. She asked if he was a police officer. He said he works for the town. He again ordered her to turn around and she did.

A male reporter didn't see a guard so he drove past the guardhouse. But on his way out a guard stopped his car asking why he entered the town.

"My parents are looking for retirement property and I heard this was a nice, quiet place to live, so I wanted to check it out for them," the reporter said.

The guard asked why the reporter's parents didn't visit instead.

"Who cares if it is my family or me checking it out?" the reporter asked.

"This is a public place, correct?"

The guard was not pleased, saying, "You have to check in before you are allowed to enter."

Irv Call said town residents have special identification stickers for their vehicles. Boothe said she refused to display it for years out of public disobedience.

Personally, I learned long ago the best way to sneak past Barney Fife and the Guardhouse Gang is to appear that you belong in town.

As you approach the big red stop sign at the guardhouse, near the large American flag, don't stop. Instead, barely slow down, look very busy, pretend to talk on your cell phone, give an obligatory wave like a harried homeowner, and cruise by.

On my way out of town that day, the female guard was asked is she could afford to live in town.
"Are you kidding?" she replied.

In the rearview mirror, a welcome sign states, "Town of Dune Acres, No Thru Streets, No Beach Access"

In other words, "Stay Out. This Means You!"

After I returned home, I visited the town's Web site, half-expecting its cyber-police to ask my intentions before entering. Somehow I snuck through.

"Welcome to the Town of Dune Acres..." the site chimed, "... a unique community."

Unique. Yeah, that's one word to describe it.

After cruising through the site without a town official shadowing me -- I think - I made a wrong turn onto its online Guest Book, where I left this posting:

"Greetings Dune Acres! We had the pleasure of visiting your wonderful town today and we were even chaperoned by a town official, Road Commissioner Irv Call, who followed us like a stalker through your public streets, and then to the public beach, and again through your public streets, until he made sure we left the town limits without causing any crimes, mischief or vandalism. And he also made sure we didn't illegally park on any streets or turn around in anyone's driveway. Your road commissioner then referred to us as "creepy" for invading your town. We felt so special and - of course -welcomed. Thanks for the hospitality."

'It's always been illegal'

The term "private town" is an oxymoron, local officials agree.

"Dune Acres is a public town with public roads," said Sen. Karen Tallian, D-Ogden Dunes.

"It would be like Mayor Daley putting up a guardhouse on I-94 and not allowing unwanted visitors into Chicago," she said.

Yet the "Fortress of Dune Acres," she noted, has been doing this for a long time.

"And it's always been illegal," said Tallian, who has constituents in that town.

Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Superintendent Dale Engquist said if the town is, indeed, screening out-of-town visitors, "technically it's not legal."

Engquist also confirmed that much of the town's beachfront is public, not private. Accessing it is another story, he said.

Andrea Johnson, deputy director of the Indiana Association of Cities and Towns, said she is unaware of the town's decades-old welcome wagon practice.

Dune Acres is one of 480 due-paying members of the downstate lobbying organization.

When asked if her organization frowns on one of its members illegally restricting access to its public roads, Johnson said she doesn't have enough facts to make that determination.

"We're not a policing organization," she told me.

She also has not heard of any other Indiana city or town doing such a thing, she said.

Tallian, a Portage-based attorney, said Dune Acres officials have no legal ground to defend the practice.

"If pressed," she said, "they will back off."

Old 04-30-2011, 08:08 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
This sounds like the beginning of a Twilight Zone episode.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:09 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,099 times
I remember that article. I hope they are not still doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana