Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,624 times

Advertisements

Hi, my son will be attending University of Chicago Lab School on the south side of Chicago. We want to move from Crown Point to be closer to the school, but still have easy access to the hospitals in Munster, Crown Point, and Merrillville where my husband works. When I look at a map, it looks like Highland would be the best place to live with an easy commute to school and work, but I don't know a lot about the town. I'd like to be convenient to supermarkets and big-box stores as well. We would like to move into a 3,500-4,500 square foot house. Are there subdivisions in Highland that have homes that large? Or large lots for sale?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 01:44 PM

58 posts, read 228,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmom3 View Post
Hi, my son will be attending University of Chicago Lab School on the south side of Chicago. We want to move from Crown Point to be closer to the school, but still have easy access to the hospitals in Munster, Crown Point, and Merrillville where my husband works. When I look at a map, it looks like Highland would be the best place to live with an easy commute to school and work, but I don't know a lot about the town. I'd like to be convenient to supermarkets and big-box stores as well. We would like to move into a 3,500-4,500 square foot house. Are there subdivisions in Highland that have homes that large? Or large lots for sale?

Thanks!
You're going to be hard pressed to find something like that in Highland, unless I'm forgetting about a subdivision. You may be better off looking in Schererville, which borders Highland. You're only talking a few extra minutes. There's also Munster, but that's overpriced in my opinion.

OPSMAN

Old 03-05-2008, 01:59 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,397,741 times
I believe that extreme southwest Highland and south Munster (south of 45th st) has what you want.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 03-05-2008 at 02:13 PM..

Old 03-06-2008, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I believe that extreme southwest Highland and south Munster (south of 45th st) has what you want.
Would you happen to know the names of the subdivisions in that area?

Thanks so much!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,340,517 times
White Oak Estates, Meadows of Saint George are the high end neighborhoods in Munster (on the South side of town). They're South of 45th and East of White Oak. There is a new development (Park West) in the same area on the West side of White Oak. It's still being developed, so the houses may not be ready for a while.
I don't think the high end areas extend into Highland, but am not sure on this. The Highland section is largely tract (i.e. cookie-cutter) homes and apartments. They're nice, but not custom made high end homes like the ones in Munster neighborhoods mentioned.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:37 PM

815 posts, read 3,001,085 times
There are high end houses on the Highland side of White Oak. There are about 6 existing houses that are for sale now. 3 are in the $400,000 range and the other 3 are in the high $500,000 to $600,000 range. They all have at least 4 bedrooms and at least 2 and a half baths (most have at least 3 or 4 baths).

There are larger homes in other places in Highland as well. There is a area off of Ridge Road near the town hall that has high end homes as well. There are some larger homes in other areas in town but are not as high end as White Oak but are better then average.

Highland is more affordable then Munster if you are looking for a little more value. Its a great time to buy a high end house, since they are the slowest to sell and there are many to choose from now.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:05 PM

51 posts, read 169,484 times
These are all great suggestions. In addition to White Oak, I would also recommend the Arbor Hill subdivision by Southridge Elementary, Brantwood by Wicker Park, and Lakeside (around the lake). White Oak and Arbor Hill have newer homes; whereas, Brantwood and Lakeside have somewhat older homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana