Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2017, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,583 posts, read 6,685,745 times
Reputation: 14786

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
Are there any negatives to those who moved from Illinois to Northwest Indiana? There are many positives but there has to be some negatives.


Possible job commute, but that is different for each individual.


Some people will also question your move. We came from North Plainfield (literally a block from Naperville) and when we told people we were moving to Indiana they looked at me like I was crazy. When those same people came to visit for the first time they were amazed and in shock of what a nice town I live in (St. John), how the homes here are comparable and that there really is shopping options, etc. When I told them what I paid for my house and what our taxes are their jaws really dropped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2017, 09:56 PM
 
3,480 posts, read 2,149,969 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
Are there any negatives to those who moved from Illinois to Northwest Indiana? There are many positives but there has to be some negatives.
The biggest and most obvious is you severely limit your employment options unless you really like to drive and/or spend an hour plus each way commuting to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 08:02 AM
 
119 posts, read 153,120 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
The biggest and most obvious is you severely limit your employment options unless you really like to drive and/or spend an hour plus each way commuting to work.
While partially true, there are people with longer commutes on the IL side that commute to the same jobs in Chicago than NWI residents. Anecdotally, my wife worked by NMH and we live in Crown Point. Her coworkers lived in towns such as Downers Grove, Park Ridge, and even on the south side of the city that took longer than her commute. She quit, but that was due to becoming pregnant and offered a work from home job with one of her old job's vendors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 08:57 AM
 
3,480 posts, read 2,149,969 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
While partially true, there are people with longer commutes on the IL side that commute to the same jobs in Chicago than NWI residents. Anecdotally, my wife worked by NMH and we live in Crown Point. Her coworkers lived in towns such as Downers Grove, Park Ridge, and even on the south side of the city that took longer than her commute. She quit, but that was due to becoming pregnant and offered a work from home job with one of her old job's vendors.
I would say the same thing about people living in IL suburbs located 30+ miles away from downtown Chicago or located too far south (Tinley Park) or north (Lincolnshire) for example. You really limit your employment options when looking at these areas. My wife and I specifically targeted a suburb north of I-55, south of I-90, east of I-355 and accessible to public transit via rail (i.e. Metra). This type of central location allows far greater flexibility to employment centers throughout the entire metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 09:50 AM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
12,600 posts, read 9,350,740 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
I would say the same thing about people living in IL suburbs located 30+ miles away from downtown Chicago or located too far south (Tinley Park) or north (Lincolnshire) for example. You really limit your employment options when looking at these areas. My wife and I specifically targeted a suburb north of I-55, south of I-90, east of I-355 and accessible to public transit via rail (i.e. Metra). This type of central location allows far greater flexibility to employment centers throughout the entire metro area.
You are aware that the West Lake light rail line is coming to NWI right? It will go down to Munster and Dyer and maybe further down in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 11:54 AM
 
3,480 posts, read 2,149,969 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
You are aware that the West Lake light rail line is coming to NWI right? It will go down to Munster and Dyer and maybe further down in the future.
Rail is only one part of the equation (see above post). Aurora, IL also has rail access but that doesn't make it convenient or easily accessible to most employment centers within the metro area. To me, towns like Elmhurst and Oak Park are perfectly situated to offer the most flexibility for employment in the region. I don't understand how anyone could argue that NWI is geographically located in an advantageous position to maximize employment opportunities within the Chicago metro area. You are just lying to yourself if you believe this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 PM
 
435 posts, read 427,351 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
I would say the same thing about people living in IL suburbs located 30+ miles away from downtown Chicago or located too far south (Tinley Park) or north (Lincolnshire) for example. You really limit your employment options when looking at these areas. My wife and I specifically targeted a suburb north of I-55, south of I-90, east of I-355 and accessible to public transit via rail (i.e. Metra). This type of central location allows far greater flexibility to employment centers throughout the entire metro area.
You live in Hinsdale. Many people are priced out of Hinsdale or don't want to live in a small, old house at a half-a-million dollar price point. The hour commute (all in) from a suburb with good schools and mid-priced homes isn't really out of the ordinary. Yes, the western burbs are more centrally located and that is an advantage of that suburban area. I agree that it provides more flexibility for future job searches. I would not suggest a NWI to NorthShore commute. But NWI does put you in striking range of downtown, western burbs, etc. This advantage also depends on what you do. For example, if you work in the medical field there are hospital and medical offices everywhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 12:25 PM
 
3,480 posts, read 2,149,969 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
You live in Hinsdale. Many people are priced out of Hinsdale or don't want to live in a small, old house at a half-a-million dollar price point. The hour commute (all in) from a suburb with good schools and mid-priced homes isn't really out of the ordinary. Yes, the western burbs are more centrally located and that is an advantage of that suburban area. I agree that it provides more flexibility for future job searches. I would not suggest a NWI to NorthShore commute. But NWI does put you in striking range of downtown, western burbs, etc. This advantage also depends on what you do. For example, if you work in the medical field there are hospital and medical offices everywhere....
You don't have to live in Hinsdale to be well positioned to employment options in the metro area. North Elmhurst, Brookfield, and La Grange Park are all examples of relatively affordable options that are centrally located. If you want a newer house for less than $300k and are less concerned about flexibility to employment opportunities, sure then you move out to Oswego, Minooka, Huntley, or NWI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 12:58 PM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
12,600 posts, read 9,350,740 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
You don't have to live in Hinsdale to be well positioned to employment options in the metro area. North Elmhurst, Brookfield, and La Grange Park are all examples of relatively affordable options that are centrally located. If you want a newer house for less than $300k and are less concerned about flexibility to employment opportunities, sure then you move out to Oswego, Minooka, Huntley, or NWI.
No thank you but prefer NWI. Some can have all the hype and "status" of some "better" suburbs while NWI enjoys that much lower COL and great quality of life while laughing all the way to the bank!

IN is not going bankrupt or raising income taxes. Furthermore, an hour or so to the loop is not bad at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 01:05 PM
 
3,480 posts, read 2,149,969 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
No thank you but prefer NWI. Some can have all the hype and "status" of some "better" suburbs while NWI enjoys that much lower COL and great quality of life while laughing all the way to the bank!

IN is not going bankrupt or raising income taxes. Furthermore, an hour or so to the loop is not bad at all.
The question was asked what are the negatives to living in NWI to which I provided a response, one I don't think is even disputable. Of course there are people (you apparently are one of those) that aren't concerned about flexibility to employment options but many people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top