Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2017, 03:38 PM
 
Location: 53179
14,416 posts, read 22,427,310 times
Reputation: 14477

Advertisements

Nice..We want to buy a house there in a couple of years so this is great news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2017, 12:49 AM
 
Location: Edmonds, WA
8,975 posts, read 10,160,559 times
Reputation: 14247
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Nice..We want to buy a house there in a couple of years so this is great news.
You're planning to leave Andersonville?

Never would have guessed. You might like it in NWI. Munster is a nice town. Take advantage of easy access to SWMI. There's a lovely Swedish bakery off Red Arrow Highway. Harbert's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 08:42 PM
 
1,022 posts, read 769,419 times
Reputation: 761
I have lived in Illinois my whole entire life and never thought in a million years I would ever consider leaving. But it is at that point to do like everyone else has done in recent years and get out of here!

With the raised taxes 25 percent of my income are removed from my check and on top of that my rent just went up higher than ever before! The cost of living in general keeps going up and now Illinois wants to fine people who do not have health insurance on top of the fine we already get on our federal taxes! Soon I will have no money left for myself when I am the one working for it! And do not even get me started on the crime which is getting worse every day now!

And I know many people are moving from here to Indiana and I worked with someone who lives there and has nothing but nice things to say about it. They said taxes there are much less as is cost of living. I am not sure if traffic is as bad there as it is here. And she said rents are cheaper there and that jobs are better.
Although I need to ask if that is the case why she drives all the way to the western burbs of Chicago for work when she has degrees and stuff. How is the job market in Indiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Schererville, IN
143 posts, read 216,251 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
I have lived in Illinois my whole entire life and never thought in a million years I would ever consider leaving. But it is at that point to do like everyone else has done in recent years and get out of here!

With the raised taxes 25 percent of my income are removed from my check and on top of that my rent just went up higher than ever before! The cost of living in general keeps going up and now Illinois wants to fine people who do not have health insurance on top of the fine we already get on our federal taxes! Soon I will have no money left for myself when I am the one working for it! And do not even get me started on the crime which is getting worse every day now!

And I know many people are moving from here to Indiana and I worked with someone who lives there and has nothing but nice things to say about it. They said taxes there are much less as is cost of living. I am not sure if traffic is as bad there as it is here. And she said rents are cheaper there and that jobs are better.
Although I need to ask if that is the case why she drives all the way to the western burbs of Chicago for work when she has degrees and stuff. How is the job market in Indiana?
In what profession do you work? There are plenty of medical and retail jobs in NWI/south suburbs, but other than that I'd say the job market isn't as strong as the west or north suburbs. However, you do have the option of commuting into the city by car or train, and the South Shore train expansion into Munster will provide for a much more desirable commute downtown. As far as traffic is concerned, the main thoroughfares do tend to get pretty congested at rush hour. I'd say traffic is worse in NWI than in the south suburbs, but I'm not sure how it would compare to the west and north suburbs. Housing and rent prices are definitely cheaper in NWI towns than in many comparable places, although they seem to be on the rise in my area. Taxes of course are way cheaper than Illinois, with property taxes capped at 1%. Overall, I'm satisfied living in Indiana, and I'd definitely recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 09:15 PM
 
1,022 posts, read 769,419 times
Reputation: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze55 View Post
In what profession do you work? There are plenty of medical and retail jobs in NWI/south suburbs, but other than that I'd say the job market isn't as strong as the west or north suburbs. However, you do have the option of commuting into the city by car or train, and the South Shore train expansion into Munster will provide for a much more desirable commute downtown. As far as traffic is concerned, the main thoroughfares do tend to get pretty congested at rush hour. I'd say traffic is worse in NWI than in the south suburbs, but I'm not sure how it would compare to the west and north suburbs. Housing and rent prices are definitely cheaper in NWI towns than in many comparable places, although they seem to be on the rise in my area. Taxes of course are way cheaper than Illinois, with property taxes capped at 1%. Overall, I'm satisfied living in Indiana, and I'd definitely recommend it.
Sounds good thank you. And I do accounting clerk type of work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 10:56 PM
 
2,156 posts, read 5,470,467 times
Reputation: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Sounds good thank you. And I do accounting clerk type of work
In that field, there are many offices in the area that you could work at; however, the pay would likely be drastically lower than most opportunities in IL. It is still worth a look though.

One area that I do want to touch on is the crime part. A lot of people will make blanket statements such as "crime in Illinois is so much higher than in Indiana" when justifying a move but then they are comparing an area like Harvey or Sauk Village to Munster or Dyer which are areas that are clearly not comparable or in the same league at all so be careful of this. When comparing crime rates, more equal comparisons should be made. Folks would never compare Naperville to Gary as if they are in the same league. Most violent crime in the Chicago area is limited to the south and west sides as well as south suburbs and some far north (Waukegan) or west (Aurora) and southwest (Joliet). Outside of these areas, crime rates are comparable and even lower than many places in NWI. Throughout NWI, there is a noticeable theft and burglary issue in nearly every municipality (mostly from cars but also from houses) and is often linked to the Opioid epidemic. Often, folks moving from IL to IN are able to "move up" to a better community without spending significantly more to do the same in IL so then they forget (or conveniently ignore) the fact that there are still a host of great areas in IL and that the whole state is not just some crime-ridden wasteland. If it was, people would not still be commuting there for jobs.

I do advocate for people moving to Indiana if it makes sense for them, but I also would prefer that the folks moving here are fully informed that we have our ills too because many new residents have had unwelcome surprises (financial and non-financial) that they thought would have been worse in Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2017, 04:13 AM
 
1,022 posts, read 769,419 times
Reputation: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
In that field, there are many offices in the area that you could work at; however, the pay would likely be drastically lower than most opportunities in IL. It is still worth a look though.

One area that I do want to touch on is the crime part. A lot of people will make blanket statements such as "crime in Illinois is so much higher than in Indiana" when justifying a move but then they are comparing an area like Harvey or Sauk Village to Munster or Dyer which are areas that are clearly not comparable or in the same league at all so be careful of this. When comparing crime rates, more equal comparisons should be made. Folks would never compare Naperville to Gary as if they are in the same league. Most violent crime in the Chicago area is limited to the south and west sides as well as south suburbs and some far north (Waukegan) or west (Aurora) and southwest (Joliet). Outside of these areas, crime rates are comparable and even lower than many places in NWI. Throughout NWI, there is a noticeable theft and burglary issue in nearly every municipality (mostly from cars but also from houses) and is often linked to the Opioid epidemic. Often, folks moving from IL to IN are able to "move up" to a better community without spending significantly more to do the same in IL so then they forget (or conveniently ignore) the fact that there are still a host of great areas in IL and that the whole state is not just some crime-ridden wasteland. If it was, people would not still be commuting there for jobs.

I do advocate for people moving to Indiana if it makes sense for them, but I also would prefer that the folks moving here are fully informed that we have our ills too because many new residents have had unwelcome surprises (financial and non-financial) that they thought would have been worse in Illinois.
I appreciate the info. Sadly yes crime is every where now. Even the North side of Chicago is starting to get bad more and more. I have a lot too think about and look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2017, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
Reputation: 14786
You can see a towns statistics on City-data. Everything from population, race breakdown, median home sales prices, median income and crime. (Just google " City-data Schererville Indiana for example) Also keep in mind that a town like Schererville is going to show more theft crimes than a town like Dyer or St. John due to all of the retail stores down 41 that are located in that town. So the theft is shoplifting and not so much theft of an actual person.

Last edited by CGab; 11-10-2017 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2017, 03:10 PM
 
1,022 posts, read 769,419 times
Reputation: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
You can see a towns statistics on City-data. Everything from population, race breakdown, median home sales prices, median income and crime. (Just google " City-data Schererville Indiana for example) Also keep in mid that a town like Schererville is going to show more theft crimes than a town like Dyer or St. John due to all of the retail stores down 41 that are located in that town. So the theft is shoplifting and not so much theft of an actual person.
Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2017, 06:23 AM
 
9 posts, read 12,797 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
In that field, there are many offices in the area that you could work at; however, the pay would likely be drastically lower than most opportunities in IL. It is still worth a look though.

One area that I do want to touch on is the crime part. A lot of people will make blanket statements such as "crime in Illinois is so much higher than in Indiana" when justifying a move but then they are comparing an area like Harvey or Sauk Village to Munster or Dyer which are areas that are clearly not comparable or in the same league at all so be careful of this. When comparing crime rates, more equal comparisons should be made. Folks would never compare Naperville to Gary as if they are in the same league. Most violent crime in the Chicago area is limited to the south and west sides as well as south suburbs and some far north (Waukegan) or west (Aurora) and southwest (Joliet). Outside of these areas, crime rates are comparable and even lower than many places in NWI. Throughout NWI, there is a noticeable theft and burglary issue in nearly every municipality (mostly from cars but also from houses) and is often linked to the Opioid epidemic. Often, folks moving from IL to IN are able to "move up" to a better community without spending significantly more to do the same in IL so then they forget (or conveniently ignore) the fact that there are still a host of great areas in IL and that the whole state is not just some crime-ridden wasteland. If it was, people would not still be commuting there for jobs.

I do advocate for people moving to Indiana if it makes sense for them, but I also would prefer that the folks moving here are fully informed that we have our ills too because many new residents have had unwelcome surprises (financial and non-financial) that they thought would have been worse in Illinois.


There are very few people out there where moving to Indiana doesn't make sense. Maybe like 5% of the population in Illinois.
The other 95% it makes perfect sense for.
We ourselves moved to Northwest Indiana 2 years ago and looking at all the madness going on in Illinois its almost dumb to stay in that state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top