Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2017, 08:28 AM
 
811 posts, read 2,335,830 times
Reputation: 644

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExElginResident View Post
[/b]

There are very few people out there where moving to Indiana doesn't make sense. Maybe like 5% of the population in Illinois.
The other 95% it makes perfect sense for.
We ourselves moved to Northwest Indiana 2 years ago and looking at all the madness going on in Illinois its almost dumb to stay in that state.
Nah. Far more than that. I'm an advocate of NWI but it's not for everyone. Those who want to stay close to family and friends in the North or Northwest suburbs. Those who work in those same areas. Those who live in and around Oak Brook, Hinsdale, or the upper class north shore communities and would only move to a town that is comparable... No way would moving to NWI make sense for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 AM
 
1,022 posts, read 773,095 times
Reputation: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExElginResident View Post
[/b]

There are very few people out there where moving to Indiana doesn't make sense. Maybe like 5% of the population in Illinois.
The other 95% it makes perfect sense for.
We ourselves moved to Northwest Indiana 2 years ago and looking at all the madness going on in Illinois its almost dumb to stay in that state.
Agreed staying in Illinois with everything going on is insane. And what is odd with all of the people leaving instead of giving those who stay a break they just punish them instead with even more taxes and more fines. It is like they want everyone too leave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2017, 12:45 PM
 
9 posts, read 12,865 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Agreed staying in Illinois with everything going on is insane. And what is odd with all of the people leaving instead of giving those who stay a break they just punish them instead with even more taxes and more fines. It is like they want everyone too leave!
Agreed. Its quite Immoral to stay in Illinois and continue to fund & enable these crooks.
Every tax dollar that is sent to the state and city government continues this madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2017, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Schererville, IN
143 posts, read 217,594 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Nah. Far more than that. I'm an advocate of NWI but it's not for everyone. Those who want to stay close to family and friends in the North or Northwest suburbs. Those who work in those same areas. Those who live in and around Oak Brook, Hinsdale, or the upper class north shore communities and would only move to a town that is comparable... No way would moving to NWI make sense for them.
I have to agree with this. While it makes great sense for a great number of Chicagoland residents to choose NWI, it does not make sense for all. Those who can afford to live in high-end areas of the Western suburbs and the North Shore obviously have no problem paying the extra taxes that come with living in Illinois. However, for the vast majority of middle class residents living in Illinois, it makes sense for them to move elsewhere if possible. I have relatives who recently relocated from Vernon Hills to the northern suburbs of Indianapolis, where they are able to make more money while paying far less in taxes (they were $13,000 in IL) and getting a lot nicer house for the money. Only problem they have is that their Vernon Hills house has been sitting on the market vacant for months, and they have already reduced the price by more than $50,000 below what they paid for it in 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2017, 10:12 PM
 
1,022 posts, read 773,095 times
Reputation: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExElginResident View Post
Agreed. Its quite Immoral to stay in Illinois and continue to fund & enable these crooks.
Every tax dollar that is sent to the state and city government continues this madness.
sadly that is very true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2017, 06:13 PM
 
3,532 posts, read 3,016,842 times
Reputation: 6324
If you want the best crime reports, go to the police website and sign up for the weekly reports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 12:44 AM
 
Location: Land of Ill Noise
3,435 posts, read 3,364,015 times
Reputation: 2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned B View Post
I think negatives depend on who you are and what you are looking for. I moved from Chicago proper and prefer historic neighborhoods and places with thriving downtowns and good transit options. I would love to live in a place like LaGrange or Hinsdale, or maybe Beverly if such places were in my budget. In NWI those things don't really exist in one place. A neighborhood near downtown Gary or Hammond might be ideal if it were still 1950. I find Valparaiso attractive but it is further from work than I would ever want to commute.

So our best compromise was to live in one of the established neighborhoods in SW Hammond, which have a good sense of community, beautiful historic housing stock, low crime with a strong neighborhood watch group, the home prices are a little less than in north Munster, and about the shortest commute by train that one can have in NWI without living in a more sketchy area. The drawbacks are that Hammond's downtown is pretty dead and the schools are mediocre at best. But it works for us so long as we don't have any children.

Obviously for someone who prefer subdivisions, new houses, and shopping malls, they are not going to have the same negatives.
When I was checking out Michigan City a few times in the past(due to SSL trips), I was surprised at the historic house feel Elston Grove had within Michigan City. It's the blocks north and east of the 11th/Franklin(erm, Pine) South Shore stop. It does really seem like Michigan City is trying to encourage revitalization of that area. It isn't quite as far along and established as Beverly, but I really liked the housing stock of historic homes I saw in that area. Here's an example from street view, and of course you can look on surrounding blocks to see what I mean: https://goo.gl/maps/Hcz3ktqfYjr Also I went to Zorn Brew Works on my last Mich City SSL trip(coincidentally within Elston Grove), and I really liked that beer brewery! The food was good there, as well. Check it out, the next time you're in Mich City and want to try (erm typo) something new.

Another charming area of Mich City I liked when it came to housing stock, was the area south and west of the 11th St SSL station by St. Stanislaus Church. Here's a street view look of what I mean(same applies here to my recommendation of looking at the surrounding blocks, to check out their historic and charming housing stock): https://goo.gl/maps/QTJHCoKuJbz

LOL, maybe if I ever fled Illinois, Mich City is where I'd end up? It doesn't hurt that the towns of SW Michigan that I already really like(i.e. Three Oaks, Buchanan, New Buffalo) are a short drive away, as well. And SSL train access is another plus. Hopefully the proposed SSL double tracking project between Gary and Michigan City does occur, in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2017, 07:07 AM
 
1,022 posts, read 773,095 times
Reputation: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
When I was checking out Michigan City a few times in the past(due to SSL trips), I was surprised at the historic house feel Elston Grove had within Michigan City. It's the blocks north and east of the 11th/Franklin(erm, Pine) South Shore stop. It does really seem like Michigan City is trying to encourage revitalization of that area. It isn't quite as far along and established as Beverly, but I really liked the housing stock of historic homes I saw in that area. Here's an example from street view, and of course you can look on surrounding blocks to see what I mean: https://goo.gl/maps/Hcz3ktqfYjr Also I went to Zorn Brew Works on my last Mich City SSL trip(coincidentally within Elston Grove), and I really liked that beer brewery! The food was good there, as well. Check it out, the next time you're in Mich City and want to try (erm typo) something new.

Another charming area of Mich City I liked when it came to housing stock, was the area south and west of the 11th St SSL station by St. Stanislaus Church. Here's a street view look of what I mean(same applies here to my recommendation of looking at the surrounding blocks, to check out their historic and charming housing stock): https://goo.gl/maps/QTJHCoKuJbz

LOL, maybe if I ever fled Illinois, Mich City is where I'd end up? It doesn't hurt that the towns of SW Michigan that I already really like(i.e. Three Oaks, Buchanan, New Buffalo) are a short drive away, as well. And SSL train access is another plus. Hopefully the proposed SSL double tracking project between Gary and Michigan City does occur, in the future.
Michigan City I believe is where the SS trains go down the middle of the streets which blew my mind when I first saw it. I find that to be really neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top