Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Miller neighborhood have its own school district separate from Gary Community School Corp
Yes 11 68.75%
No 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:32 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times

Advertisements

Miller group proposes setting up own school district

I have discussed this before on other threads how I feel that this would be a benefit for the Miller neighborhood and possibly help bring more young families with children back to the neighborhood (at some point). However, it seems that it is only now that this idea is really being proposed. I am actually surprised that the folks quoted in the article are not criticizing this idea and hearing it out.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 07:53 AM

119 posts, read 155,042 times
While the Gary school system is a mess, I would say no as it would give a perception of the 'haves vs the have-nots'. If, a big IF, Miller were to secede from Gary than it would be obviously viable. Neither of which are likely to happen.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
While the Gary school system is a mess, I would say no as it would give a perception of the 'haves vs the have-nots'. If, a big IF, Miller were to secede from Gary than it would be obviously viable. Neither of which are likely to happen.
If Miller got its own school district, it would be in a more advantageous position to try to incorporate as its own municipality. As far as the "haves vs have nots", I understand the concern but Gary has been dealing with that with nearly every bordering school district.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:25 PM

811 posts, read 2,338,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
Why hide from the fact that the Miller Beach folks are the "haves" of the City of Gary overall? It's the truth, and basing a decision on not wanting to create a certain perception of something that is true doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not sure of the mechanics behind how they'd make it all work, but if the Miller Beach residents find a way to do it and become independent from Gary Schools, more power to them.

It would be great for the property values for people who've stayed committed to their neighborhood when it would be easier to flee.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:07 AM

Default One more point to the "haves vs have nots"

Miller has always been more of a prosperous area of the city; however, the city also had the Ambridge Mann area right by the hospital as well as the Morningside subdivision in Glen Park as the "haves" areas. After Hatcher was elected and flight from the city sharply increased, many of the "haves" who still desired to stay in the city moved to Miller. And this was during a time when most of the schools were still open and residents were assigned to their neighborhood school (before No Child Left Behind where if one school in the district was failing, you were automatically permitted to transfer to another school in the district). To sum it up as far as high schools, kids from the westside went to West Side (after it was built) or Horace Mann, kids from Midtown went to Roosevelt, kids from Glen Park went to Lew Wallace, and kids in Miller went to Wirt. There was always the divisions by class and race (as far as Roosevelt goes). Shoot, Black Oak which was incorporated into the city against residents wishes still attend schools in Lake Ridge because they did not have to join GCSC. And that was 100% based on race because most of the Black Oak residents were "White Have Nots" whom had less than many of the Black families on the west side.

At this point, it is about making Miller a viable area again for more middle-income families with school-aged children. A lot more low-income housing just became available in Miller due to GHA's acquisition of Woodlake Village last year. Middle-income residents in Woodlake were forced to leave if they made over $30/35K annually and many of them moved OUT of Gary to Portage, Hobart, Valpo. So while Miller is still the most prosperous area of GI, there is probably more diversity in income than in the rest of the city.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 PM

435 posts, read 431,189 times
At this point anything that can help that area of NWI should be considered. You have to start somewhere and push out from there if successful. Gary is a failed school system. It's over. No need to weep if somebody wants to try to reorganize and make a portion of it better.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:35 PM

Default Wirt-Emerson closing! Bailly Prep Academy proposed to be Gary's grade 6-8 middle school

It came down to either West Side or Wirt...and I think everyone knew that Wirt would be the school to close. The decision needs to be approved by DUAB on 3/2/18 but there is no indication that it would not be approved. Some implications are:

1. 20-30 min drive from Miller to West Side High School (depending on traffic)
2. Probably over an hour bus ride for students.
3. Same as above for Miller residents to get to Bailly Middle School.

This is needed but just sad. I can see Miller residents attempting to secede from Gary.

Gary's Wirt-Emerson school recommended for closure at end of school year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana