Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:40 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,016,842 times

Advertisements

God, now I'm even more depressed. I didn't realize how much my family took from me. I'm going to die.
Thanks for the advice. So upsetting to know my house is gone forever and some flippers got it for nothing. My gma would be pissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM

I called the town inspector to ask about them calling them bedrooms. He looked up the address and they didn't get permits for anything that they did. He also said those aren't legal bedrooms.

I wonder what will happen bc they knocked down load bearing walls, added a bathroom, built a deck, finished the basement, etc all without permits.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:16 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,725,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I called the town inspector to ask about them calling them bedrooms. He looked up the address and they didn't get permits for anything that they did. He also said those aren't legal bedrooms.

I wonder what will happen bc they knocked down load bearing walls, added a bathroom, built a deck, finished the basement, etc all without permits.
How can you build a deck without a permit? I suppose if you don't get caught, but typically you can't get away with that. In regards to finishing a basement without a permit, a lot of people do that and you can still add the value during appraisal because most appraisers do not ask to see permits. We finished a basement and didn't pull permits. When we sold the home last year it added $20k to the value. Since the listing is being sold "by owner" some buyers might not realize that a room in a basement is only legal if it has an egress window. An appraiser will know and won't count it, but if someone is paying cash they probably won't get an appraisal done and therefore the "so called" bedrooms may get the extra cash.

Will definitely be interesting to see what it sells for! Keep us posted!

Old 09-11-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
How can you build a deck without a permit? I suppose if you don't get caught, but typically you can't get away with that. In regards to finishing a basement without a permit, a lot of people do that and you can still add the value during appraisal because most appraisers do not ask to see permits. We finished a basement and didn't pull permits. When we sold the home last year it added $20k to the value. Since the listing is being sold "by owner" some buyers might not realize that a room in a basement is only legal if it has an egress window. An appraiser will know and won't count it, but if someone is paying cash they probably won't get an appraisal done and therefore the "so called" bedrooms may get the extra cash.

Will definitely be interesting to see what it sells for! Keep us posted!
We have a double fence gate off the driveway so you can easily drive a pickup full of supplies into the backyard. Even if the town drove by, they won't see. Or you can pull into the garage and go through service door.

The wall they took down to open up the living room and kitchen was load bearing and there were 2 steel poles in the basement directly under that aren't there anymore. It's where they put the family room. How do you remove a load bearing wall and two poles? I can't wait to hear back from the inspector. I hope they get fines!

I doubt that this is a cash buyer situation. I think they are first time flippers bc they could have just focused on the upstairs and got 230-240. They did too much downstairs and imo, wasted money. A family room and bathroom is enough down there. Or at least recut the window and make the bedroom legal.

I guess I'll see soon enough. 16 shoppers saved on Zillow so should be seeing something biting.... unless the inspector slows things down. The last permit given was the fence I put up in 2009.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:40 PM

435 posts, read 430,127 times
The one thing this house has going for it is that it looks great on the inside. Hard to find a house that has been updated (cosmetically) from top to bottom in that price point. While the systems "should" matter many buyers will just see the shiny, pretty interior updates and worry about those older systems later.

I don't love the location given proximity to multi-family but it is within a great elementary school district. Really there isn't all that much product in the market right now in the $250-$300K range in the Frank Hammond district which most people still consider the top elementary district.

Personally, I hope to see more flips like this in Munster.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
The one thing this house has going for it is that it looks great on the inside. Hard to find a house that has been updated (cosmetically) from top to bottom in that price point. While the systems "should" matter many buyers will just see the shiny, pretty interior updates and worry about those older systems later.

I don't love the location given proximity to multi-family but it is within a great elementary school district. Really there isn't all that much product in the market right now in the $250-$300K range in the Frank Hammond district which most people still consider the top elementary district.

Personally, I hope to see more flips like this in Munster.
You might be fooled by the shiny newness but as someone who lived there since 1976, I see a lot of problems.

1- They eliminated the dining room and made the space where they expect you to put a table (where the hanging light is) smaller. If you can get a table there, it's going to be small and they've also eliminated the path from the back door to the front of the house. Now, you're going to have to go past the sink and fridge to get to the front room.

2- They eliminated the paver walking stones from the back door to the garage, so have fun getting your shoes/pants dirty and wet if it's snowing or rainy.

3- The deck is hiding the fact that the foundation had problems from a drainage issue bc the tree roots pushed up the sidewalk and it will probably mess up your new deck. The trees need to be removed before the roots grow more.

4- There's no window well covers so now you can have poor animals falling in that you have to rescue or find dead

5- that nice landscaping? Ha,ha the backyard is full of lines for the neighborhood utilities so I give it a year until the yard gets dug up again by nipsco, AT&T, whoever since that's how it's been for 40 years and if you look to the right of the garage, you'll notice that the grass is just growing back from the most recent dig up. The entire side next to the garage is the easement so I hope you don't sunbathe nude bc utility workers come in unannounced all the time and some even pee on the side of the garage!

6- There's no storage, what little we had, they took out. The bathrooms might look nice, but you don't even have room for a wastebasket bc they put in the biggest vanity they could.

7- the bedrooms are tiny. A double bed fills up the first two and a queen, the other. The front bedroom next to the front door used to be mine and once you get the bed and a dresser in, it's full. I had to step over my dog bed to get in and out. The closets are ok but nothing like people want these days.

8- The place floods. There was black mold from a broken basement window. Someone grew weed downstairs.

9- The garage service door can be pushed in with your shoulder

10- we've been burglarized, had property crime, attempted break ins, drunk drivers hit our trees and killed 2 of them. People have pissed in the front yard, thrown up, leave their beer cans, etc and we get litter galore.

11- the people next door are suburban hillbillies who painted their home black! They also love to rev up the motorcycle no matter if it's 7am or 11pm. The fat, Kenny Rogers husband also loves to point his snowblower chute towards your windows so you can wake up to the sound of that and he piles the snow against your fence.

12- The kitchen is smaller than before and it was too small then. Might look pretty but good luck with usefulness.

13- the open concept isn't good for this place, the picture window offers no privacy so anyone walking by can see everything and that includes the second floor condo people.

14- the front yard landscaping will be dead by spring, that dirt is bad. They should have built a raised bed and used fresh dirt.

15- the garage door panel is fried and the whole thing needed replacing but it's still the same panel.

16- he removed the stormdoor. Everyone needs/wants a storm door

17- he replaced a better quality window with a cheap one

18- the air intake vents are gone except for one

19- the freaking poles holding the house up are gone

20- the deck is also covering up that the sidewalk is messed up from the roots and since he removed the small retaining thing we had and eliminated the well covers, you're not giving the rain water anywhere to go except into the basement.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing but you have enough. I would never buy a flip, especially after seeing this. Whoever buys it will see how they got duped by shiny. It's not an appropriate house for a family to live in. It's too small for anything more than a couple and a small child. You can fart anywhere in the place and I will hear it.

They bought it for 140 bc my brother is a crackhead moron, they didn't make it 160k better. Yeah, they did a lot but it's a SMALL house. Redoing a 4x6 bath or putting wood in 1200 sq ft isn't the same as redoing a real sized house.

No one who saw the old house likes this. They all say stuff like they feel sorry for the people who buy it or it looks like a typical hgtv flip with no concern for the livability. My grandparents bought it for 30k in 1976 and it was a good home for us but if she knew that someone would pay 300k for it, she'd tell them to run away. It's not even worth it.

Last edited by hellob; 09-11-2017 at 11:01 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 11:37 PM

I also noticed that he didn't redo the driveway. It has a lot of cracks and needed to be done about 10 years ago.

So between the driveway, the trees, the foundation, the likely flooding, the going on 20 year hvac, the never updated in 43 years electric (which now you're running an extra bathroom, 2 bedrooms and family room on), etc you're looking at some big ticket items coming up. Doesn't seem like the floors and cabinets outweigh that. I'd rather have the Formica and new electric.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:07 AM

Still for sale, no price drop, had a few open houses.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:22 AM

224 posts, read 309,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Still for sale, no price drop, had a few open houses.
I honestly would’ve lowered the price. The garage is not attached which can really hinder the value of the property.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Blish View Post
I honestly would’ve lowered the price. The garage is not attached which can really hinder the value of the property.
My grandma had it built but it had to go there bc of all the buried utility lines and the easement. I grew up there so I'm used to it but it's a pita bc you have to walk through the lawn to get to service door. The flippers removed the walking stones, so now it's really a pita. Plus, it's been broken into and a couple attempts. Detached garages seem to get hit in Munster.

I'm guessing that they are new to flipping bc they put a lot into the basement and they aren't even legal bedrooms. They paid 140k, I'm guessing they put 75-100k in, so not much room for reducing. I wouldn't have put much downstairs. Put 40- 50k upstairs and sell for 229k.

They put it for sale after school started which doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana