Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 01:27 PM

5 posts, read 6,674 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd share my cautionary tale. I had originally planned to close on a house in Illinois in September. I ordered a container from PODS using that address and as we got closer to closing on that house the deal fell through. We decided that since we have all our belongings loaded up in a PODS container we wanted to find another place to move to and ultimately landed on a house in St. John. Where things got messy was once we got closer to closing we tried to update our address on the PODS site to deliver to the new house. The site came back stating that they don't service that zip code. Turns out PODS doesn't service any NWI zip codes. They were not willing to make any exceptions and no other container type services would move the container. Our best course of action was to have MI-BOX which does service Illinois and NWI drop off a container, move everything over from PODS to MI-BOX, and then have PODS pick up the useless container. This was such a huge waste of time/effort and even though PODS advertises that they deliver cross country keep in mind that NWI is an area they are unwilling to service. I wish I would have known this sooner of course so I post it as a heads up to others that are considering moving to NWI or have pods in storage with the plan to move to NWI at some point in time. If you do have a container in storage with PODS and plan to move to NWI you will have to go to their facility and unload everything into a moving truck.

TL;DR: Ordered pod, plans change, PODS won't go to NWI, had to order Mi-BOX and move everything over, PODS sucks and paid alot of money for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM

275 posts, read 437,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willizm View Post
TL;DR: Ordered pod, plans change, PODS won't go to NWI, had to order Mi-BOX and move everything over, PODS sucks and paid alot of money for nothing.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to be renting in Indiana already when I opted for MiBox to move to my new home (also in Indiana).

But my first phone call was to PODS. Horrible experience you just went through. That's "Twitter bashing worthy" in my book. Poor customer service to not help you resolve it. Where's the "additional out of area fee" option?

Feed MiBox all of your love IL folks. PODS just doesn't have it right.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:51 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,669,542 times
I wonder if that's a new policy? We moved to St. John last year and we ended up not using a Pod, but they did give us a quote. At any rate, welcome to St. John!

Old 10-26-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I wonder if that's a new policy? We moved to St. John last year and we ended up not using a Pod, but they did give us a quote. At any rate, welcome to St. John!
Yes they recently made a policy change to no longer service St. John and NWI in general. Not sure why they made that decision but sounded like it happened earlier in the year

Old 10-26-2017, 04:47 PM

815 posts, read 2,984,379 times
Wonder if a another trucking company would move a pod to where you need it (if you got orphaned like the OP)? What are they going to do, not pick up the empty after you move it, empty it out and your done with it? It would still be an extra expense to hire a second company, but its less work then moving from a pod to a mibox.

terrible customer service to not move it to where you wanted it.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Wonder if a another trucking company would move a pod to where you need it (if you got orphaned like the OP)? What are they going to do, not pick up the empty after you move it, empty it out and your done with it? It would still be an extra expense to hire a second company, but its less work then moving from a pod to a mibox.

terrible customer service to not move it to where you wanted it.
I tried calling all other pods type services and no one would move it since it’s “pods” brand. Pods does have another company called upick I believe that they use for out of service areas but even they wouldn’t deliver to NWI.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:51 PM

157 posts, read 438,225 times
Sorry they changed their policy.
Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana