Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:45 AM

51 posts, read 169,309 times

Advertisements

Hi skbs and welcome to Indiana!

I have grown up in NWI and love calling it home! I agree with everything previously said in this forum but also think you should look a little more closely at the Schererville, St. John, Dyer, Crown Point, and Munster communities.

Schererville, St. John, and Munster are more upscale communities which you seem to be interested in. There are upscale "lifestyle centers" (code for mall in NWI) that are being built in Schererville and Munster which will have bistros, cafes, and upscale shopping similar to what you would find in Chicago and NY. The big box stores are plentiful in both communities as well which will help with running errands with your children. The schools are also top notch - Munster has one of the best rated school systems in the country and the Lake Central and Crown Point schools are also all highly rated. The commute to Chicago is also convenient since most of these communities are close to the Illinois border - I can make it from Munster to Chicago in less than 40 minutes.

The housing options in all of the communities are pretty diverse. Schererville, St. John, Dyer, and Crown Point all have had a huge boom in new housing which means there are plenty of affordable, beautiful homes with low taxes compared to NY. Munster has been pretty much built to capacity so the housing tends to be older and more pricey with smaller lots.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your search - I think we all know how hard it can be, especially when out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 12:31 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang219 View Post
Hi skbs and welcome to Indiana!

I have grown up in NWI and love calling it home! I agree with everything previously said in this forum but also think you should look a little more closely at the Schererville, St. John, Dyer, Crown Point, and Munster communities.

Schererville, St. John, and Munster are more upscale communities which you seem to be interested in. There are upscale "lifestyle centers" (code for mall in NWI) that are being built in Schererville and Munster which will have bistros, cafes, and upscale shopping similar to what you would find in Chicago and NY. The big box stores are plentiful in both communities as well which will help with running errands with your children. The schools are also top notch - Munster has one of the best rated school systems in the country and the Lake Central and Crown Point schools are also all highly rated. The commute to Chicago is also convenient since most of these communities are close to the Illinois border - I can make it from Munster to Chicago in less than 40 minutes.

The housing options in all of the communities are pretty diverse. Schererville, St. John, Dyer, and Crown Point all have had a huge boom in new housing which means there are plenty of affordable, beautiful homes with low taxes compared to NY. Munster has been pretty much built to capacity so the housing tends to be older and more pricey with smaller lots.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your search - I think we all know how hard it can be, especially when out of state.
thanks a lot for the advice... I really appreciate all of the input- right now we are playing the waiting game with his company... we shall see how it goes.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,519 times
Hi everyone. I been looking to relocating into Indiana myself. Really looking at St John, Dyer and Schererville. I am leaning to St John area right now. I saw that someone posted about an real estate agent. I was wondering if any of you have a few you could recommend too me. Thank you very much

Old 04-14-2008, 11:32 AM

19 posts, read 68,954 times
Take a look at Lowell,Indiana. It is just south of Valparaiso and Dyer & Schererville. It has a train station. It is about a 20 minute drive to the other towns mentioned. A clean, safe town.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:21 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pici0274 View Post
Take a look at Lowell,Indiana. It is just south of Valparaiso and Dyer & Schererville. It has a train station. It is about a 20 minute drive to the other towns mentioned. A clean, safe town.
There is no train station in Lowell to commute to Chicago.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pici0274 View Post
Lowell is not South of Valparaiso. It's South of Crown Point. A 20 minute drive from Lowell to Valpo is pushing it. Too many small towns to go thru.

Lowell has a passenger train that stops there? When did that happen?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 PM

10 posts, read 77,516 times
"There are areas where I currenly live where Traffic takes ages to move. I am just wondering what would be defined as hellacious... bumper to bumper for an hour or all day long?"

As with anyother place you live, there is the summer construction season. Thats the worst part of traffic in NW Indiana.

As far as things to do, there are malls all over the place and the big ones can be reached with a 15 min drive. Chesterton is a nice place. Right, the train station is closeby and the line terminates at Randolph st. in Chicago. That is very close to the art institue and Michigan Ave. Southfield mall is by Rt30 and I-65, The lighthouse is near Michigan city (closer to chesterton) and there is a nice state park nearby called the Indiana state dunes.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
The traffic here in NWI, while it can pick up at times (ie rush hour, construction season) is a far cry from the traffic that plagues many other places. It's still much lighter here than a lot of other places, including many parts of the Chicago area on the IL side. Summer does bring warmer weather, but with it comes construction.
At least we don't have to drive (regularly) on the Chicago expressways, where you're always stuck. In the winter, it's weather. Rush hour remains busy throughout the year. Summer brings construction and, even at night, things can move very slowly b/c half the lanes are closed! It's almost as if the only 'good' time to drive is late at night, in the winter, when the weather is cooperating!
Driving around here is MUCH better than the Chicago expressways!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:51 PM

7 posts, read 15,582 times
I'm also going to put in a vote for Valparaiso or Chesterton. Low taxes, great schools, attractive, affordable homes with quaint downtown areas as well as more big box shopping amenities... Also beautiful, rural drives, horse farms, heron rookeries, the South Shore train, Indiana Dunes Park, Lake Michigan beaches, Valparaiso University. More and more good restaurants heading our way. This area has a lot to offer! I'm thinking you may want to check out the Coffee Creek area in Chesterton or possibly the Villages of Sand Creek...

Old 05-23-2008, 04:40 PM

5 posts, read 31,113 times
Thumbs down Stay away from Dyer

They are badly in debt and trying to annex - long court battle coming. Be sure if you buy in St John that it's in the town proper, not the township only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana