Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:38 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking into a position that would take us from our home town in Western NY. He would primarily be working from home, but need to travel into Chicago about two days a week and would like to have under a 60 minute commute. Right now we live on 1/3 of an acre overlooking 40 acres of everwild, have a newer 2000sqft home we built five years ago for $179K (our taxes are $7k). We live in a fabulous school district, with more than enough extras for the kids and amazing test scores. I am hoping to find something similar but don't know where that would be. We are looking at spending $275K or less... I grew up in a town that was listed in one of the best places to live- just as Schererville has recently been placed- which makes me believe Schererville would be a good option for our family. We are Catholic and being near a church for weekly mass is important. I have a preschooler and a kindergartener who will be our top priority in terms of activities provided in the area- such as dance classes, karate, parks... If you could give me some advice as to where to start I would really appreciate it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 04:36 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
You'll want to be sure to stay in the Lake Central school system. Borders get fuzzy up in that area. You WON'T have any trouble finding a Catholic Church ... NWI is very Catholic.

Since your husband is only going into the city 2 times a week, why not look at Valparaiso too? It's a bit over an hour by car, but he could also train it in from Chesterton.

Try looking at Northwest Indiana is Calling You Home! to look for homes. If you need a realtor, let me know and I'll dm you the one we used.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:56 PM

He was just saying tonight that he would rather take a train in because he hates to drive. I am sure traffic is a pain into Chicago too... Doesn't Dyer have a train station near it? What do you know of Dyer, Schererville, and St. John? I am finding a ton of homes in Crown Point.... and what is up with all of the split levels and raised ranches? It seems that is all that is for sale! People just don't build them here...

I just looked at some homes for sale in Valparaiso and am amazed at how low the taxes are for homes that are almost 3000sqft! They are three to four times cheaper than here- HALF of my current taxes on a home assessed at $190K! Does this effect the quality of the schools?

Last edited by skbs; 03-20-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 03-20-2008, 05:21 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Valparaiso has an excellent school system.

If your husband hates to drive, you might want to look around the Chesterton area as well. It's closer to the South Shore (train) station, plus you can get a bit of land with your house.

Close proximity to a Catholic church is no problem. Most towns have at least 1 parish, many have more than 1.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:38 PM

What do Valparaiso and Chesterton have to offer in terms of shopping, recreation- I have three fabulous Top of the line malls/plazas, 4 SUPERSTORE Grocery stores, Dining at every corner, plus the Walmarts, Targets, Dicks, Home Depot, Lowes, KMart, Barnes and Nobles, coffee shops galore.... My kids take dance and Karate- at very affordable spots (hard to find here)... I don't want to move someplace that doesn't have these things...

Also, if my husband were to take the train from Chesterton... about how long is the commute time to Chicago? He says he wouldn't really mind since he would be able to do his work... I am just trying to get my head around it.

Last edited by skbs; 03-20-2008 at 06:03 PM..

Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 23,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
He was just saying tonight that he would rather take a train in because he hates to drive. I am sure traffic is a pain into Chicago too... Doesn't Dyer have a train station near it? What do you know of Dyer, Schererville, and St. John? I am finding a ton of homes in Crown Point.... and what is up with all of the split levels and raised ranches? It seems that is all that is for sale! People just don't build them here...

I just looked at some homes for sale in Valparaiso and am amazed at how low the taxes are for homes that are almost 3000sqft! They are three to four times cheaper than here- HALF of my current taxes on a home assessed at $190K! Does this effect the quality of the schools?
Valpo is the way to go. We wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
What do Valparaiso and Chesterton have to offer in terms of shopping, recreation- I have three fabulous Top of the line malls/plazas, 4 SUPERSTORE Grocery stores, Dining at every corner, plus the Walmarts, Targets, Dicks, Home Depot, Lowes, KMart, Barnes and Nobles, coffee shops galore.... My kids take dance and Karate- at very affordable spots (hard to find here)... I don't want to move someplace that doesn't have these things...

Also, if my husband were to take the train from Chesterton... about how long is the commute time to Chicago? He says he wouldn't really mind since he would be able to do his work... I am just trying to get my head around it.
It's a little over an hour into Chicago from the Dune Acres station in Chesterton.

Valpo has a lot of big box stores, but as far as malls go ... there's a westfield shoppingtown in Merrillville/Hobart (pronounced Ho-bert). But come on ... you're close enough to Chicago where you can get small scale NYC style shopping.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It's a little over an hour into Chicago from the Dune Acres station in Chesterton.

Valpo has a lot of big box stores, but as far as malls go ... there's a westfield shoppingtown in Merrillville/Hobart (pronounced Ho-bert). But come on ... you're close enough to Chicago where you can get small scale NYC style shopping.

I have two small kids who I have to bring with me around town... by myself most of the time. I am sure the shopping, an hour away in Chicago is fabulous, but I will need more immediate means of acquiring the items I will need and I am an instant gratification kind of person. All of my malls and better shopping centers are within fifteen minutes (at the most) from my home and I enjoy that. I am looking for a similar location... how about Schererville or Dyer?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:16 AM

They're fine. But trust me, do a lot of looking before you jump in ok? Traffic in Dyer & Schererville can be hellacious.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
They're fine. But trust me, do a lot of looking before you jump in ok? Traffic in Dyer & Schererville can be hellacious.

There are areas where I currenly live where Traffic takes ages to move. I am just wondering what would be defined as hellacious... bumper to bumper for an hour or all day long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana