U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 03:18 PM

158 posts, read 240,105 times

Advertisements

When Southlake Mall opened in 1974, it was a really big deal for the region. You didn’t have to go over to the Illinois malls anymore. Hopefully Southlake Mall can survive.

Any thoughts on it being redesigned as an open-air shopping center and possibly including a residential element (similar to the forthcoming Centennial Village in Munster)?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze55 View Post
I don't think Southlake is a bad mall, it's just that there are better options out there. I did like Carson's, but I personally don't care much for Penney's, Macy's, or Sears. Oakbrook is a nicer mall with a greater variety of stores I like, so when I go to the mall, I'd rather spend the day out there than in Merrillville. Otherwise, there are plenty of stores on 41 that I don't really need to go to Southlake.
Oakbrook Center is on a totally different level. River Oaks in Calumet City was similarly designed by the same developer. Too bad it didn’t stay on course like Oakbrook.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Heck, I live in Valpo and I'd rather go to Orland. Actually, my first choice would be the outlet mall in Grand Rapids.

Around the mall area, there are several notable vacancies, but the two that really stand out to me are Joe's Crab Shack and Don Pablos. (Pablos has been vacant for going on 4 years now.) The longer they stay vacant, the more I'm apt to believe there is no coming back for Southlake.
Orland Square Mall and the nearby shopping centers offer more variety to than the Southlake area.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:08 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,342,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1064 View Post
Oakbrook Center is on a totally different level. River Oaks in Calumet City was similarly designed by the same developer. Too bad it didn’t stay on course like Oakbrook.
I was really disappointed when they enclosed River Oaks. It lost its charm.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I was really disappointed when they enclosed River Oaks. It lost its charm.
I totally agree! Back in the day, River Oaks, in open-air format, was an upscale shopping center.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:57 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,100,081 times
Quote:
I totally agree! Back in the day, River Oaks, in open-air format, was an upscale shopping center.
I was a child when that happened; however, I don’t think that would have stopped the decline of the mall as many folks think. People started fleeing the south suburbs before that occurred. And from what I was told, it wasn’t really all that upscale (compared to Oakbrook Center, Northbrook Court) as far as tenants go.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:48 AM

213 posts, read 260,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I was a child when that happened; however, I don’t think that would have stopped the decline of the mall as many folks think. People started fleeing the south suburbs before that occurred. And from what I was told, it wasn’t really all that upscale (compared to Oakbrook Center, Northbrook Court) as far as tenants go.
I agree. I actually have friends who worked at the mall during the enclosure time and many of them claim that the mall improved once it became enclosed. With the enclosure, you no longer had to worry about the weather and I honestly think the enclosure made the mall safer. The open air format contained many small passage ways which may have increased the threat of muggings etc.

Seems like Macy’s is planning on staying there for moment.
Macy's brings first off-price Backstage stores to Chicago-area malls - Chicago Tribune

All the mall really needs is a good renovation. Considering the area which it serves, it seems ok overall.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I remember River Oaks from the 1960s, when Calumet City was a decent area. Picture Oakbrook Center before the expansion, and it's the basically the same layout as River Oaks
(then known as River Oaks Center). Old Orchard Center in Skokie is one of the triplets.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:05 PM

11,584 posts, read 5,868,071 times
Quote:
Orland Square Mall and the nearby shopping centers offer more variety to than the Southlake area.

I used to go to Orland a lot when we lived near there. I don't see it being any better than Southlake (IMHO) except for maybe the stores and restaurants in that area that surround the mall, but not the mall itself.

I also remember when they enclosed River Oaks. I think it was a smart move as the weather in Chicago is obviously not good. It's been in decline for many years, but so has that area in general. Oak Brook is in no comparison. People go there for the upscale stores which clearly are not at any other mall. The issue with Oak Brook is that it is not close by any means. The amount of time it takes you to get there from NWI you can go to the Mag Mile downtown. I also agree with another poster that I would probably go to the shops in Michigan City first anyway.

In regards to Southlake, its fine for what I need. My tween girls like to go there to shop. I personally don't go to the mall for myself. I either go to a store like Kohls or order online.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I used to go to Orland a lot when we lived near there. I don't see it being any better than Southlake (IMHO) except for maybe the stores and restaurants in that area that surround the mall, but not the mall itself.

I also remember when they enclosed River Oaks. I think it was a smart move as the weather in Chicago is obviously not good. It's been in decline for many years, but so has that area in general. Oak Brook is in no comparison. People go there for the upscale stores which clearly are not at any other mall. The issue with Oak Brook is that it is not close by any means. The amount of time it takes you to get there from NWI you can go to the Mag Mile downtown. I also agree with another poster that I would probably go to the shops in Michigan City first anyway.

In regards to Southlake, its fine for what I need. My tween girls like to go there to shop. I personally don't go to the mall for myself. I either go to a store like Kohls or order online.
Enclosing River Oaks took away the ambiance still existent at Oakbrook Center. Oakbrook isn't close, but it still offers a nice shopping experience. Plus, there's Yorktown, right down the street, which has been remodeled and expanded. I've gone to gigantic Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg several times, though not as much now since NWI offers a bit more retail variety.

Southlake offers what's needed, so hopefully it stays around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana