Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 43,175 times

Advertisements

Coming from Indy, is this a reasonable way to travel to Chicago for a weekend getaway?

More specifically, is it possible/safe to leave a car at a station in order to avoid Chicago tolls/traffic/parking fees and just take a train to downtown.

If so, which of these stations would be best, or should be avoided: Gary, East Chicago, or Hammond?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 02:12 PM

255 posts, read 414,593 times
The Dunes State Park stop in Porter is great to leave your car and take the train to the city. Portage/Ogden Dunes is also fine.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:28 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Traffic through the south side is not really an issue on weekends. I-90 is the only tolled section between here and Indy so you can easily avoid tolls by taking 65 to 94 instead of 65 to 90 to 94. That will add about 6 minutes to your drive -- well worth it since the loll on the Skyway is outrageous.

If there's two of you, you'll be spending $36 on train tickets. Add another $18 for each kid 14 or older or $9 for each kid under 13.

In short, the train might take some stress off the final leg of your journey, but it will cost you time and you won't save you any money versus parking unless you're coming by yourself.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:24 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,087 times
Agreed, during the weekend there's really no reason to take the train. If anything, you'd want to drive into the city during the weekend and take the train during the week. If you'd still like to take the train, coming from Indy presumably up 65 I don't see any reason to go further east to the Ogden Dunes or Dune Park stops of the train, that would be out of your way. While not the nicest town itself, the East Chicago train stop would be plenty safe for you to use. You'd get off on 94 westbound, north on Cline, and west on Route 20 and you'll be there quickly. That would make for a shorter train ride as well. I used that station for commuting to the city for about a decade and never had any issues.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:20 PM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times
I second the motion to Park at the Ogden Dunes / Portage station. I've left my car overnight there a couple of times and had no problem. It's a well-lighted, safe area.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:47 AM

4 posts, read 43,175 times
Thank you everyone for the great advice! Originally, I was thinking of going to Chicago for a weekend getaway which is why I created this post. I'm still thinking of that, but also I would like sometime to have my son fly into Chicago and meet me for a hiking trip around Indiana Dunes. The train might be a good way for him to do that as well!

Old 04-22-2021, 10:06 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin36 View Post
Thank you everyone for the great advice! Originally, I was thinking of going to Chicago for a weekend getaway which is why I created this post. I'm still thinking of that, but also I would like sometime to have my son fly into Chicago and meet me for a hiking trip around Indiana Dunes. The train might be a good way for him to do that as well!
That will be a very tedious trip by public transportation from the airport (no matter which one) to downtown on one train and then out to the Dunes on another -- especially after having just sat in a flying soup can for however long.

If your son is flying in to meet you for a Dunes trip, do him a favor and pick him up at the airport. Highly recommend flying into Midway for such an excursion.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:48 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,677,577 times
I remember when I was visiting Chicago this last February, I took the South Shoreline to Michigan City, Indiana and explored the little town. I found the train to be cheap and on-time.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:56 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,835 times
We have never had any issues with the Hammond station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana