U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 12:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 8,792,028 times

Advertisements

We know different names that NWI is called mainly the Region and the Chicagoland area not to mention some other negative terms but if we were to be called something again what would you say?

SE suburbs? Another made up name? Calumet? Illiana? Keep the Region? What do you prefer?

Personally I don't like the Region name and Calumet doesn't sound too bad though it spills I assume into Illinois.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 AM

11,584 posts, read 5,866,025 times
I personally don't care for Calumet as I think of Calumet City in IL when I here that term, which is not a great area. Illiana isn't bad, but I prefer NW Indiana.

I'm sure we'll get a lot of negative comments here, so I predict this thread won't stay open long. Hope I'm wrong, but the ignorance about NW Indiana is strong on CD.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:28 AM

8,304 posts, read 10,831,486 times
It was originally called the Calumet Region because of the Calumet River. That was shortened over time to "the Region." Frankly it was never a term I heard used by locals growing up there. Until I left the area I never heard it used.

Illiana has long been used to refer to the South Suburbs/Western portion of Lake County, IN. Sorry, it's taken.

Frankly, it's just a unnecessary idea.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

Frankly, it's just a unnecessary idea.
Sure, if you like to be called the Region and thus be a regionier or have the generic term NWI which sounds like it cuts you off and divides you from the greater Chicagoland area.

There could be a name given or a more accepted from the old ones as in Calumet for the urbanized area of NWI asides from being stupidly called the Region.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:04 PM

The point is that while you may think it's generic, NWI is geographically accurate and appropriate. It doesn't divide one from being part of the Chicago area. It recognizes that it is a very distinct and different area of Indiana.

Mod cut.
--typically we're called Region Rats. We don't take offense in it and have great pride in being from the Region. Good luck with your Mod cut. idea of calling it "Calumet." The 100's of family members, friends and others I know that grew up and still live in the area will never call it that.

I can just imagine some newcomers trying to get people to start calling it some frufru name.

BTW--The Region does NOT include all of NWI.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-18-2018 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:05 PM

2,210 posts, read 2,920,333 times
Regionapolis Indiana.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:10 PM

8,731 posts, read 16,056,564 times
I am not following, Calumet Township is a real place in Lake County. Is the premise of this thread that all of the region is now called Calumet?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:27 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,342,117 times
Calumet Township was named for the river.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am not following, Calumet Township is a real place in Lake County. Is the premise of this thread that all of the region is now called Calumet?
That's what the OP was suggesting Mod cut..

And yes, the town I grew up in is in Calumet Township. When I was a kid there was a free weekly newspaper called the Calumet Press.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-18-2018 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Rude; off-topic.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The point is that while you may think it's generic, NWI is geographically accurate and appropriate. It doesn't divide one from being part of the Chicago area. It recognizes that it is a very distinct and different area of Indiana.

[snip]
--typically we're called Region Rats. We don't take offense in it and have great pride in being from the Region. Good luck with your [snip] idea of calling it "Calumet." The 100's of family members, friends and others I know that grew up and still live in the area will never call it that.

I can just imagine some newcomers trying to get people to start calling it some frufru name.

BTW--The Region does NOT include all of NWI.
Mod cut.

I am very aware of the geographic limits of NWI and all the names. I was born and mostly raised in NWI myself. Mod cut.
You go ahead and call it whatever you want, whatever floats your boat Mod cut.

Moving on, I have heard and also like the name South Shore.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-18-2018 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Orphaned comments (references to comments which have been deleted).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana