U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 06:25 PM

157 posts, read 376,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedeagle View Post
People are hearing about Dyer building section 8. I know that is driving some angst. People are starting to flee further south. Dyer still has Briar Ridge, though. That is a wealthy bastion. Cedar Lake area is the new St. John. Some people moving to Cedar Lake to get away from the Lake Central monster. Over 3200 students. That's a large school compared to when I attended.
There are no section 8 homes being built in Dyer. What you are stating is a complete fabrication.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 06:35 PM

28 posts, read 35,416 times
What did I write? "People are hearing about Dyer building section 8." Pay attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthood82 View Post
There are no section 8 homes being built in Dyer. What you are stating is a complete fabrication.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:24 PM

157 posts, read 376,535 times
Quote:
What did I write? "People are hearing about Dyer building section 8." Pay attention.
I did pay attention to what you said. You stated it as a matter of fact.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:34 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,100,081 times
Just so everyone understands, there is “Section 8” homes in every area of the state...In at least every town. All it takes is for a property owner to contact the local section 8 office and pass an inspection. Once this happens and they find a tenant, then voila, their property becomes a “section 8 home”. Additionally, local governments cannot prevent any property owner from accepting section 8 vouchers if they are authorized to rent out their property. Yes, some communities have more section 8 voucher holders than others but every area has them. As far as suburban areas, Munster, Dyer, St. John, and Schererville have the fewest amount of Section 8 voucher holders and Merrillville, Portage, and Valpo have the most. Griffith, Chesterton, and Crown Point have a decent amount mostly isolated to specific multi-family properties. As far as more rural towns, Hebron and Demotte have a higher concentration of section 8 voucher holders than other rural towns.

Now as far as properties being built specifically for low income households (which could be income-based and/or accept section 8), there are no new projects pending in Dyer or the other areas that I listed at this time.

Also, Cedar Lake is most definitely NOT the “new Saint John” lol.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 AM

11,584 posts, read 5,868,071 times
I also agree that Cedar Lake is no where comparable to St. John! LOL!

As far as LC being a huge "MONSTER" I guess some can argue that; however, we moved a few years ago from North Plainfield, Illinois and Neuqua Valley H.S. in Naperville had 3,764 students in 2017 (down from 4,000) and the building was no where as big as LC! Lake Central's teacher student ratio is 21 and to me that's not bad.

As far as comparing LC to Hanover, well that's another conversation! Hanover is already starting to see the affects of over crowding. The average teacher/ student ratio is the same as LC; however, I feel some think that because Hanover High School still is only 700 students (as of 2017 enrollment) that class sizes are smaller, but they are not. With new construction happening rapidly in the area and an influx of people moving here from Illinois, Hanover is going to have a bigger problem with overcrowding then LC, IMHO.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:42 AM

809 posts, read 2,190,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I also agree that Cedar Lake is no where comparable to St. John! LOL!

As far as LC being a huge "MONSTER" I guess some can argue that; however, we moved a few years ago from North Plainfield, Illinois and Neuqua Valley H.S. in Naperville had 3,764 students in 2017 (down from 4,000) and the building was no where as big as LC! Lake Central's teacher student ratio is 21 and to me that's not bad.

As far as comparing LC to Hanover, well that's another conversation! Hanover is already starting to see the affects of over crowding. The average teacher/ student ratio is the same as LC; however, I feel some think that because Hanover High School still is only 700 students (as of 2017 enrollment) that class sizes are smaller, but they are not. With new construction happening rapidly in the area and an influx of people moving here from Illinois, Hanover is going to have a bigger problem with overcrowding then LC, IMHO.
Nailed it, all the way around. I'm not going to sit here and say St. John is some heavenly place and Cedar Lake is dirt, but I don't think there's much to compare. It's not a knock on CL, just reality... it's a fine place to be. Real estate values in Cedar Lake on a relative basis are lower than St. John, and for a reason. Even the school districts I think have a difference in real estate values, from what I've seen. I've often searched on Realtor.com for Saint John, and up comes a beautiful house at what I think is a great price... and almost every time... it's because it's farther south St. John and in Hanover district. (Yes I know I can search by school district too).

Regarding the size of LCHS as a negative... I feel like that conversation has gone by the wayside to a large extent. Maybe it's because Chicago suburbs have so many large schools too so it's what those buyers are used to? Maybe it's because people see the larger physical space and know there isn't overcrowding anymore? I don't know, but I can see now that the school district is a selling point by realtors and new development... and I'm not sure I could say that 10-15 years ago.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 AM

274 posts, read 394,278 times
Quote:
People are hearing about Dyer building section 8. I know that is driving some angst. People are starting to flee further south. Dyer still has Briar Ridge, though. That is a wealthy bastion. Cedar Lake area is the new St. John. Some people moving to Cedar Lake to get away from the Lake Central monster. Over 3200 students. That's a large school compared to when I attended.
I specifically chose Cedar Lake to not be in the larger Lake Central Monster. I felt it was too large to give my children a fair shake for extra curricular things, even if they are more renowned for them.

However, we are now feeling the strain everyone is referring to with Teacher:Student ratios.

We were already warned during Kindergarten pre-registration that they likely will be maxed out with just the students attending the "meeting" and will have to hire aids rather than teachers due to not having enough space.

My plan seems to be backfiring before my eyes. My 3rd grader had 29 students last year. I'm assuming my kindergartener will have the same this year...

When I inquired during the summer of expected registration, I was given a response to "lowest ratio in the area, even lower than LC schools" which was a bold lie to the face.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 AM

4,207 posts, read 3,738,513 times
Any ideas of the Chicagoland people that are moving to NWI, what are the approximate percentages that are
Bernie Sanders Democrats,
Traditional Hillary style Democrats,
Trump style Republicans
Traditional Bush style Republicans

I'm asking only out of curiosity.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:19 AM

6,477 posts, read 5,505,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Any ideas of the Chicagoland people that are moving to NWI, what are the approximate percentages that are
Bernie Sanders Democrats,
Traditional Hillary style Democrats,
Trump style Republicans
Traditional Bush style Republicans

I'm asking only out of curiosity.
Since Democrats seem to love high taxes, I'd bet most are Republicans. Although I consider myself an Independent, I fully support Trump and to be honest, the fact that Illinois is a blue state is one more reason why I want to jump the border.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 AM

4,207 posts, read 3,738,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Since Democrats seem to love high taxes, I'd bet most are Republicans. Although I consider myself an Independent, I fully support Trump and to be honest, the fact that Illinois is a blue state is one more reason why I want to jump the border.
I wonder if there are enough Republicans moving to NWI to turn Lake County, Indiana red?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana