U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 08:14 AM

2,138 posts, read 5,110,256 times

Advertisements

There has been a reported rash of burglaries and thefts from vehicles and of vehicles in Saint John and south Dyer. One incident was a vehicle stolen from Lake Hills that was used in a robbery of a Speedway station on 41 in Schererville (off 77th) and then found in Washington Park in Chicago.

Suspects in Schererville cash register theft were in a Jeep stolen from St. John, police say

What I find frustrating is that people still insist on leaving their doors unlocked. Yes, I know that we should be able to do that expect our belongings to be safe but this is 2018 and common sense says lock your stuff up! No matter how many lists a community is on for being safe, people still need to be smart.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:00 AM

11,584 posts, read 5,896,992 times
I actually know some people in Lake Hill and can add to this.

There was a series of car burglaries the weekend of the 22nd in Lake Hills. All were due to vehicles being unlocked and items such as loose change, a purse and a lap top were stolen, amongst other things. A home was also broke into at 2am; however, the robbers entered the home through a garage side door that was unlocked. The owners were home and the robbers left right away. Looks like it was tied to other robberies in the Bramblewood and Schilton subdivisions as wells as a few in Dyer.

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...29ba51f.html#1

Old 06-27-2018, 02:43 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,352,157 times
My brother lives in Lake Hills. I'll have to give him a heads up.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:53 PM

2,138 posts, read 5,110,256 times
Default My theory

My theory is that not all of these incidents are related. Some of the incidents of cars being gone through may be locals scavenging for drug money (as this crime has become widespread across the region) and could be criminals residing in the neighborhood. As far as the more brazen car theft and home burglary, I feel like the people doing this are likely either from the immediate area/nearby vicinity or they are very familiar with the area otherwise (family/friends in the are or went to school here). But I don't know if it the same people/group of people. Lake Hills is not a subdivision that is easy to get in and out of and is not directly off a major thoroughfare and although Bramblewood is off of 93rd, it is still not as easy to get in and out of as say the Homestead Acres neighborhood right off 41 or Ventura Estates behind the high school. In fact, I wonder if any of the folks burglarized had any teenage kids at LC and maybe it is one of their classmates/"friends" that had done this. Even though the one stolen car ended up in Chicago, it still could have been done by a young criminal familiar with both areas. Just my thoughts. I just highly doubt that it was 100% crime-of-opportunity.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:26 AM

284 posts, read 477,503 times
Maybe it's from living in urban areas for much of the last 10 years, and assuming that someone may very well be checking if my car is unlocked every night. But I would bet that most people in suburban areas would be concerned by how often people case neighborhoods for easy grabs in unlocked vehicles. And I agree NW I, it is just as likely to be a neighbor as anyone else, and this is definitely not a case of Chicago crime taking over our quaint towns and communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana