U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 07:59 AM

158 posts, read 240,681 times

Advertisements

Seeing a variety of homebuilders in the region like never before. Are they all pretty good or should some be avoided?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 05:42 AM

11,584 posts, read 5,876,299 times
Yes, quite a few builders in NW Indiana right now. Obviously I think the biggest presence is Olthof which is a track home builder. Due to that, I think they get a bad wrap just because of the amount of homes they build per year and how fast they build them. A company that builds many homes a year will get more negative comments naturally than a builder who only builds one or two homes a year. Also, when looking at a homebuilder there are a lot of different factors that one should look at. How long has the builder been in existence, who are their contractors, what materials are they using and where do they get them from, do they offer any warranties?

We have an Olthof home. We did not build it, as it was once used as a model home. However, previous to this home we had built two. One was using a track home builder and one was a custom builder. During each build we visited the homesite weekly and had 3rd party inspections done throughout. That is also key! We had no major issues with either. Our current home is now 4 years old (almost 5) and we have also not had any issues. One will say that Olthof uses crap materials; however, most are similar to what was in my custom build. They use local contractors and most materials are from Schilling which I'm also confident in.

I'd also like to add that just because one has a custom home built doesn't always mean they are getting a better quality built home. Again, it depends on many different factors. A good friend of mine built a custom home 7 years ago in Lake Hills (I won't say the builder) and they just recently had a mold problem due to plumbing issues that they didn't know they had. Problems can happen with any builder. As far as retaining value (track home versus custom) again too many factors will determine that as well. We actually made more money on the sale of our track home than our custom home, but it's market timing, location, etc. Again, too many factors.

So to answer the OP's question, is there a builder that is better than others or one that should be avoided? You will probably find a negative comment/review with all builders. I think a lot of comments on builders are based solely on opinion. Will the home last over time is the question to really ask yourself and that depends on the contractors used and quality of materials. Again, whether it's a track home builder or a custom builder, one needs to due their due diligence and be present as much as possible during the build. If one has no knowledge of construction or can't be consistently present than bring in 3rd party inspectors throughout the building process. Any reputable builder will allow this!

Will my home stand the test of time? I think so.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:34 AM

158 posts, read 240,681 times
@CGab, thanks for your insight. This is good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana