Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 05:53 PM

537 posts, read 392,372 times

Advertisements

Hi, We just got back from visiting my parents who live in Valparaiso, IN for Thanksgiving. My son and I just love hanging out at their home and doing things in Valparaiso (local theatre, university sports game, the local cute little outdoor ice rink etc.). In the summer we go to the Dunes State Park and National Lakeshore too. I asked my husband, though, if there is anything he'd like me to plan next time we are out there -- going out and about a bit. He thought it would be fun to check out more rural areas (He's originally from the New York / New Jersey area) and we live in the St. Louis metro area (not overly big, but still a metro area of 3 million or more), so rural farmland areas are something he has had little exposure to that he thinks would be fun to check out. Are there any restaurants, you pick it farm places (would need to be the right season - let us know the month), or other things you can think of that would maybe fit what he is thinking he is interested in?

Thanks so much. I appreciate any and all suggestions. We get to the area once or twice a year and are pretty flexible as to when we get up there, so I'm open to seasonal activities too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 01:11 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
County Line Orchard

Chellberg Farm

Old 11-28-2018, 08:00 PM

17,377 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Fair Oaks Farms

Old 12-02-2018, 04:30 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,523 times
Gabis Arboretum (formerly Taltree Arboretum)

Gardens - Gabis Arboretum at Purdue Northwest - Gabis Arboretum at Purdue Northwest

Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
My daughter likes to take the grandkids to the zoo in Michigan City.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:11 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,015 times
Nothing wrong with the suggestions, but without knowing when you're planning to come back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
County Line Orchard
Only open Sept/Oct, but avoid it on weekends, you won't believe the crowds. Great apples and produce, but the highest priced anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Fair Oaks Farms
Wonderful, worth going but be prepared for the smell (for miles around)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
My daughter likes to take the grandkids to the zoo in Michigan City.
Closed Nov thru Mar

Old 12-09-2018, 05:49 PM

17,377 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
[/color]Wonderful, worth going but be prepared for the smell (for miles around)

[/color]
Disagree.

I have been there many times at numerous times of the year and have never, EVER experienced a smell for "miles around".

Simply untrue.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,371 times
There isn't all that much to do in Valparaiso itself but the restaurants downtown are WONDERFUL! I love Stacks but Sage is nice as well. I enjoy walking downtown Valparaiso when it's close to Christmas because the lights are nice. There are 2 theaters in Valparaiso - Chicago Street Theater & Memorial Opera House. Chicago Street Theater is smaller and the Memorial Opera House is beautiful and larger - would definitely recommend the balcony seating! Much small up there with their own bathrooms (same price too!). I don't know about any "farm things" though. County Line Orchard is overcrowded and overpriced. I went a few times this year and the line was so long that I gave up. Sunset Hill farm is beautiful with lights around Christmas but when it's warmer they do have trails. Coffee Creek Watershed Preserve is in Chesterton that is a ton of trails too. You certainly should also look into Turkey Run State Park.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:15 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Approx 1.25 hours east in Middlebury and Shipshewanna you will find Amish and Mennonite communities. In between these towns you will see many old barns and farms and farmhouses, often with Amish and Mennonite people driving horse and buggy in the area. You might see them plowing the fields with draft horses if you go in spring or fall.

There are several shops and restaurants in those 2 towns and it's a nice place to spend the entire day. Don't go on Sunday because most business are closed.

A bit closer to Valparaiso is another Amish town called Nappanee.

Google for more info about the above towns. There's lots of info online. These towns attract tourists but it's not overly touristy.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:02 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
watch corn grow (just kidding)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana