U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 12:49 AM

250 posts, read 204,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
What makes you think Valpo leans left? I don’t necessarily agree or disagree, just curious. Anecdotal, but I know tons of people in Valpo and while I would say yes, on a federal level and particularly with respect to social issues, many do vote along liberal lines, there seem to also be many people who vote conservative. On a local level I would say even more so on the conservative end. Mayor Costas is a Republican and most people I know including myself (who leans liberal) are overall happy with how he has managed the city. But as we all know, local politics/issues are so different than on a federal level.
I don't have any data about how left or right Valparaiso leans, so this again is just anecdotal. I have parents who have lived in Valparaiso since the late 1950s, and my mom was a professor at Valparaiso University for 38 years. I don't live in Valparaiso, but did grow up there and go to college there. My parents are pretty social and have a wide circle of friends and are still actively involved in the University community too. Not all, but most of my parent's non university friends lean right; not all, but most of my parent's university friends (professors / retired professors) tend to lean left. Both sides too don't seem to have any issue with crossing party lines for individual candidates that they feel are the best candidate either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 01:39 PM

8 posts, read 4,959 times
Chesterton isn't left. Check your records if you think it was.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:43 PM

8 posts, read 4,959 times
Nobody is leaving Illinois with a job to move to NWI. Proximity to work is important and reciprocity keeps it in tact. Traffic in between is borderline unbearable.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:33 PM

8,922 posts, read 9,136,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog21 View Post
Nobody is leaving Illinois with a job to move to NWI. Proximity to work is important and reciprocity keeps it in tact. Traffic in between is borderline unbearable.
Sort of depends. If you live in Munster and work downtown, it’s really not bad. Plenty of Illinois suburbs have worse commutes. Now, if you wanna live in Valpo and have a job in Skokie, that would be borderline unbearable.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:57 PM

6,477 posts, read 5,555,201 times
Quote:
For me, it doesn't matter, I work remote so I can live anywhere. All I need is an Internet connection. I think they have Internet in Indiana, right? A lot of workers are remote these days and either work from home full time or only need to go into the office occasionally.

Hell, if I didn't have kids and a couple of energetic dogs, I could live in a RV.

But I agree with BlueFox, living in Munster and working in Chicago is not a bad deal, especially with the new train line coming.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:41 AM

274 posts, read 395,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post

But I agree with BlueFox, living in Munster and working in Chicago is not a bad deal, especially with the new train line coming.
Most of us will be retired before we get to use that future trainline

Old 11-12-2018, 02:47 PM

11 posts, read 10,724 times
Quote:
But I did. In 1970 I moved from Beverly (Chicago southside) to Merrillville and brought my job with me. In fact three others moved shortly after I did - brought their jobs with them. Downtown, now, isn't what it used to be - safe....

Old 11-12-2018, 07:40 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,141,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by excowboy View Post
But I did. In 1970 I moved from Beverly (Chicago southside) to Merrillville and brought my job with me. In fact three others moved shortly after I did - brought their jobs with them. Downtown, now, isn't what it used to be - safe....
LOL! Downtown isn't safe. Good one!!!

Old 11-12-2018, 07:41 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,141,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
2020 or 2021 last I heard.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 AM

6,477 posts, read 5,555,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
2020 or 2021 last I heard.
looks like ~2022 before it's actually running. Yeah, not sure why it takes so long, as a kid I used to put down tracks, buildings and roads on my basement train set in minutes! Seriously though, the timeline does seem ridiculous.

West Lake Corridor

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana