U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2018, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
6,477 posts, read 5,519,001 times
Reputation: 9150

Advertisements

So the election is over and the results were quite honestly the straw that broke the camel's back as Illinois lurched further Left and Indiana surprisingly gave Donnelly the boot, which I applaud. I know NWI fairly well, but I'm rarely out there these days since I'm in the far west Chicago burbs. So I have a few questions, are there any areas of Munster or Valparaiso that would be considered undesirable? Out of the following, are any of these towns considered further right politically?

Munster, Saint John. Schererville, Crown Point, Valparaiso, Chesterton?

I've been watching these areas pretty closely over the past few months and need to narrow down my search. Good schools are important, but I work from home and although I prefer an area with lots of shopping/restaurants, commute time to Chicago is not really important. Walking distance to 3 Floyds would be nice too (just kidding, sort of). Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2018, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
7,009 posts, read 11,104,030 times
Reputation: 5769
Well if you're going to factor politics that heavily into where you decide to move, you should know that NWI is the most Democratic part of the state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
6,477 posts, read 5,519,001 times
Reputation: 9150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Well if you're going to factor politics that heavily into where you decide to move, you should know that NWI is the most Democratic part of the state.
I know, just looking for the least of that mix if possible.

My second and third regional choices are Zionsville/Carmel or the Grand Rapids burbs, but I'd prefer to stay within the Chicago metro.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 06:38 AM
 
809 posts, read 2,192,020 times
Reputation: 637
Munster, Crown Point, St John and Chesterton all lean right. Schererville is pretty moderate. Valparaiso leans left.

One interesting point about last night's elections... Scott Walker lost as Governor of Wisconsin. That's likely to pull Wisconsin further to the left (or at least the center from the right). Either way, it makes Wisconsin less desirable for disgruntled Illinois conservatives/Republicans. Therefore, probably boosts demand of NWI as opposed to WI for those in Illinois looking to move across one of the borders. Could see an even bigger Illinois to NWI shift in the coming years, on top of what we've already seen which has been huge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
6,477 posts, read 5,519,001 times
Reputation: 9150
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Munster, Crown Point, St John and Chesterton all lean right. Schererville is pretty moderate. Valparaiso leans left.

One interesting point about last night's elections... Scott Walker lost as Governor of Wisconsin. That's likely to pull Wisconsin further to the left (or at least the center from the right). Either way, it makes Wisconsin less desirable for disgruntled Illinois conservatives/Republicans. Therefore, probably boosts demand of NWI as opposed to WI for those in Illinois looking to move across one of the borders. Could see an even bigger Illinois to NWI shift in the coming years, on top of what we've already seen which has been huge.

Thanks and I agree, Wisconsin taxes are already nearly as high as Illinois and electing a Democrat Governor definitely makes them a less desirable "escape path" from Illinois - imo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
7,009 posts, read 11,104,030 times
Reputation: 5769
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Munster, Crown Point, St John and Chesterton all lean right. Schererville is pretty moderate. Valparaiso leans left.

One interesting point about last night's elections... Scott Walker lost as Governor of Wisconsin. That's likely to pull Wisconsin further to the left (or at least the center from the right). Either way, it makes Wisconsin less desirable for disgruntled Illinois conservatives/Republicans. Therefore, probably boosts demand of NWI as opposed to WI for those in Illinois looking to move across one of the borders. Could see an even bigger Illinois to NWI shift in the coming years, on top of what we've already seen which has been huge.
Debatable, for all the people moving from Chicago to NWI, Lake County still lost a lot of people in the last census. Most of the people in northern Chicagoland are fairly well to do, the northern burbs are doing alright. So I don't see a lot of Illinois to Wisconsin migration there because of that. A lot of the exodus from Chicago has been from the southern burbs and other pockets of the city itself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 09:47 AM
 
809 posts, read 2,192,020 times
Reputation: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Debatable, for all the people moving from Chicago to NWI, Lake County still lost a lot of people in the last census. Most of the people in northern Chicagoland are fairly well to do, the northern burbs are doing alright. So I don't see a lot of Illinois to Wisconsin migration there because of that. A lot of the exodus from Chicago has been from the southern burbs and other pockets of the city itself.
I generally agree with what you're saying here. There has definitely been some migration from IL to WI, one would assume mostly from those from the northern burbs or NW burbs. Your point about Lake County population loss is valid, but it disregards important points. The primary landing spots and towns that most from IL would move to are either stable with population or have seen increases in population. Northern Lake County vs Central/Southern Lake county are so extremely different in that regard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
7,009 posts, read 11,104,030 times
Reputation: 5769
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I generally agree with what you're saying here. There has definitely been some migration from IL to WI, one would assume mostly from those from the northern burbs or NW burbs. Your point about Lake County population loss is valid, but it disregards important points. The primary landing spots and towns that most from IL would move to are either stable with population or have seen increases in population. Northern Lake County vs Central/Southern Lake county are so extremely different in that regard.
I have not done any in depth analysis on migration patterns for this area, but I would wager that southern Lake County is the wealthier and more middle class, where northern Lake County is the poorer and more impoverished part. So, perhaps people are leaving northern Lake County faster than Chicagoans are trickling into southern Lake County.

I'm sure the real migration is infinitely more complex, but maybe that's the gist of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 12:56 PM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
12,286 posts, read 8,801,646 times
Reputation: 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I have not done any in depth analysis on migration patterns for this area, but I would wager that southern Lake County is the wealthier and more middle class, where northern Lake County is the poorer and more impoverished part. So, perhaps people are leaving northern Lake County faster than Chicagoans are trickling into southern Lake County.

I'm sure the real migration is infinitely more complex, but maybe that's the gist of it.
I would agree that the northern part of Lake County Indiana (not to be confused with Lake County IL) brings down the Region in more than one ways than one and that would include migration.

I would look into St. John or Valparaiso if you want more of a buffer zone. That said, Munster is more desirable IMO
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Edmonds, WA
8,907 posts, read 9,082,564 times
Reputation: 13922
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Munster, Crown Point, St John and Chesterton all lean right. Schererville is pretty moderate. Valparaiso leans left.

One interesting point about last night's elections... Scott Walker lost as Governor of Wisconsin. That's likely to pull Wisconsin further to the left (or at least the center from the right). Either way, it makes Wisconsin less desirable for disgruntled Illinois conservatives/Republicans. Therefore, probably boosts demand of NWI as opposed to WI for those in Illinois looking to move across one of the borders. Could see an even bigger Illinois to NWI shift in the coming years, on top of what we've already seen which has been huge.
What makes you think Valpo leans left? I don’t necessarily agree or disagree, just curious. Anecdotal, but I know tons of people in Valpo and while I would say yes, on a federal level and particularly with respect to social issues, many do vote along liberal lines, there seem to also be many people who vote conservative. On a local level I would say even more so on the conservative end. Mayor Costas is a Republican and most people I know including myself (who leans liberal) are overall happy with how he has managed the city. But as we all know, local politics/issues are so different than on a federal level.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top