U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 08:20 AM

7 posts, read 9,276 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating moving to Dyer from the Western burbs. Is there a tax for us working in Illinois but living in Indiana?
I've heard car registration is expensive? I can't imagine anything, anywhere being more expensive than IL? Since my husband shares custody with his ex-wife, does that mean they could go to an Indiana college with in state tuition if they graduate from an Illinois high school?

Thank you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 08:59 AM

2,986 posts, read 2,640,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durava2014 View Post
We are contemplating moving to Dyer from the Western burbs. Is there a tax for us working in Illinois but living in Indiana?
I've heard car registration is expensive? I can't imagine anything, anywhere being more expensive than IL? Since my husband shares custody with his ex-wife, does that mean they could go to an Indiana college with in state tuition if they graduate from an Illinois high school?

Thank you
You will have to pay income tax in Illinois and Indiana, but you should be allowed to deduct your Illinois liability from your Indiana income taxes.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:40 AM

25 posts, read 41,677 times
I was checking on the taxes too since I'm considering a move to Indiana from Illinois. My paycheck will still be coming from Illinois. I guess you have to fill out a non-resident tax form for Illinois when you do your taxes and you'll get a credit from Indiana if you paid too much in state income tax. If you Google excise tax for Indiana there's a list of how much you'll pay for the tax on your car. It's based on how much your car is worth.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM

325 posts, read 169,694 times
Picking up and moving residence should be fully researched before moving. There can always be unexpected surprises that no one will bother to inform you about. You have a lot of questions and paying vehicle license renewal is small potatoes in the scheme of things. I would suggest you make a visit to a reputable tax preparer or CPA and ask these questions.

Also, just because you work in a state doesn't mean your kids would get in-state tuition (I know that from experience). Many states of residence CAP what you can deduct when you work out-of-state. You also need to inquire if the city/county you are interested in moving to charges an additional income tax.

Good Luck with your search.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 PM

143 posts, read 191,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durava2014 View Post

Thank you
Your child should be able to receive in-state tuition at Indiana universities if one of their parents resides in Indiana, even if the other parent does not. The state in which they go to high school does not affect residency. Here's what the Indiana University website has to say on the topic of residency:

https://registrar.indiana.edu/policies/residency.shtml

Old 12-10-2018, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 9,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze55 View Post
Your child should be able to receive in-state tuition at Indiana universities if one of their parents resides in Indiana, even if the other parent does not. The state in which they go to high school does not affect residency. Here's what the Indiana University website has to say on the topic of residency:

https://registrar.indiana.edu/policies/residency.shtml
Thank you so much!

Old 12-25-2018, 02:41 AM

3 posts, read 2,443 times
I'm not sure why Porter Co. gets overlooked for things like this. It is still part of "the region". In fact, I live in Valparaiso, right off of 49, and it takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the Dune Park Southshore station. The train ride is a little over an hour long. Valparaiso also has a bus that goes directly from Valparaiso to Chicago on the weekdays (ChicaGO Dash).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana