U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,428 times

Advertisements

I live in Indianapolis and am not sure what the rules / laws are regarding my situation. several months ago, against my better judgement, my boyfriend's adult children came to stay in my house. actually, i didn't 'allow' it so much as my boyfriend let them come to my house while i was at work. i do have messages showing that i was not happy, nor ok with this. they were about to be homeless because they refused to get jobs/work/save money. the deal was... they had until February to get jobs, save money and find their own place to live. it is almost their 'check out' date and i fear they will not want to fulfill the required 'move out' portion of our agreement. they were supposed to give me $35/week to help offset the cost of them being here. all my utilities have noticeably increased. my grocery bill has also grown exponentially. they do not always comply with the $35/week agreement. i have kept track so i know how much each of them has actually contributed. i have NEVER used the term 'rent'. i have only ever used the term 'household contribution'. i have never given them permission to use my address as theirs, but they took it upon themselves to have mail delivered to my house. it is MY house. i owned it before their dad moved in with me. i also have proof of me going above and beyond to help them get their acts together. i do want them to succeed and be responsible, productive adults. unfortunately, it doesn't look like all my efforts have had any effect on their irresponsible, immature, lackadaisical attitudes. i have given them multiple opportunities to get right. i don't want to have to take legal steps if they don't leave willingly in Feb. it shouldn't be a financial / legal burden for me to get them out of my house. i was only trying to help. No one has anything in writing. no one has receipts for anything. i did give them a verbal 60 day and 30 notice / reminder that their time is up on the weekend of Feb 16th. What can / should i do??

Last edited by chrissyb1224; 01-19-2019 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: add'l info added
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 10:35 AM

2,819 posts, read 1,818,318 times
I'm not a lawyer, but since these people have paid you to live in your house, they may legally be renters. Talk to a real estate attorney to see what you need to do to get rid of them.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:25 PM

325 posts, read 170,761 times
Sadly, you will probably have to go through the legal process of eviction. Depending on where you live that could take a few weeks to longer.

What is your boyfriend doing to help rectify the problem? Is he helping offset the costs of his children by paying for your increased expenses?

If he is doing nothing it sounds like he needs to follow his adult children out the door too (assuming he also lives with you). JMHO as they are all taking advantage of your kindness.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 PM

1,360 posts, read 869,615 times
I would recommend you find a good lawyer, someone who specializes in *both* real estate and family law. Seems like this is a combination real estate issue and domestic issue. You'll feel better / more in control of the situation the more information you have. Don't be afraid to spend some money on this; you'll be glad you did. You'll probably lose the boyfriend in the process, but by the sound of things as you've presented them, that may be a bonus (no offense).

Old 01-19-2019, 08:07 PM

8,924 posts, read 9,157,254 times
Here’s the deal. Even if your boyfriend invited them, you acquiesced to their presence. Therefore, they are probably going to be considered tenants. And if you want to kick them out, you should probably put something in writing, like a notice to vacate. I would say get an attorney but at the very least you should look up Indiana landlord/tenant laws for the procedural requirements for it and how much notice you have to give. But short answer is yes, you have every right to evict them, but if they are going to kick and scream about it, you may have to take it to court.

However, I would first talk to your boyfriend about it. Hopefully you already have. The fact that he has adult children who behave like this is his problem, not yours. If he really cares about your relationship he needs to be the one to get tough with them and tell them they need to leave, not you. You have already done way more than you should be expected to do. If he doesn’t support you on this, then I think you have bigger problems on your hands.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:32 AM

1,360 posts, read 869,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
If he really cares about your relationship he needs to be the one to get tough with them and tell them they need to leave, not you. You have already done way more than you should be expected to do. If he doesn’t support you on this, then I think you have bigger problems on your hands.
I agree with almost everything you say...however, since it is her house, the burden is ultimately on her. Best to take a businesslike approach. The relationship stuff can be addressed after the practicalities of the problem are solved, if she still wants to work things out by then.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:34 PM

8,924 posts, read 9,157,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I agree with almost everything you say...however, since it is her house, the burden is ultimately on her. Best to take a businesslike approach. The relationship stuff can be addressed after the practicalities of the problem are solved, if she still wants to work things out by then.
I’m just saying... maybe the Dad/boyfriend can solve the issue without her having to resort to legal action. He needs to at least try, and he and the OP need to be on the same page. Courts should always be a last resort option.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,428 times
the prob with the dad/bf is... he says he will 'stick to his guns' and 'they know they have a deadline'... unfortunately, he doesnt follow through. and of course, even tho i am the only one who has really compromised or made any sacrifices... i am the *******. i think this will end with ALL of them vacating the premises.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:58 PM

9,550 posts, read 16,464,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyb1224 View Post
the prob with the dad/bf is... he says he will 'stick to his guns' and 'they know they have a deadline'... unfortunately, he doesnt follow through. and of course, even tho i am the only one who has really compromised or made any sacrifices... i am the *******. i think this will end with ALL of them vacating the premises.
And if that happens, I would say “good riddance” to all of them, bf included.

Don’t put up with this crap!!

Old 02-04-2019, 06:41 PM

6,826 posts, read 11,147,876 times
^^^^ I totally agree. If the guy can't handle his own kids, for Pete's sake, get rid of all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana