Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:14 PM

6 posts, read 7,324 times

Advertisements

Our family currently resides in Franklin, Illinois and after our property tax bill increased by $1500 we've had enough. My brother moved to Munster a few years ago and highly recommends that we move to the area. However my sister-in law moved to Carmel back in 2010 and gave us a tour of the city and Indianapolis last summer which surprised us at how clean and vibrant the area is. So we face a decision here.
We have 2 kids age 8 and 11 so good schools are a must along with decent sports activities and events nearby. Safety is high on our priority list and since I work from home while my wife has a very flexible work schedule commuting is not a big concern to us. Our budget is between 250 & 350k and we would like atleast a 3 bedroom 2 & half bath home that has a decent yard. Is this doable in Munster? Or should we look elsewhere in NWI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,512 times
What you're looking for is completely doable in that price range in Munster. I would also take a look at the Tri-Town area - Dyer, Schererville, and Saint John - as it also fits what you're looking for. Depending on how far south/east you're looking, too, I would consider Crown Point as well. All the areas mentioned have highly-rated school systems and are very safe.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:42 PM

143 posts, read 217,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutingNewHomes55 View Post
Our family currently resides in Franklin, Illinois and after our property tax bill increased by $1500 we've had enough. My brother moved to Munster a few years ago and highly recommends that we move to the area. However my sister-in law moved to Carmel back in 2010 and gave us a tour of the city and Indianapolis last summer which surprised us at how clean and vibrant the area is. So we face a decision here.
We have 2 kids age 8 and 11 so good schools are a must along with decent sports activities and events nearby. Safety is high on our priority list and since I work from home while my wife has a very flexible work schedule commuting is not a big concern to us. Our budget is between 250 & 350k and we would like atleast a 3 bedroom 2 & half bath home that has a decent yard. Is this doable in Munster? Or should we look elsewhere in NWI?
Munster is definitely doable, but I second the suggestion that you should also look in Schererville, Dyer, and Saint John. These three towns all share the same school system (Lake Central), which is just as good as Munster. However, housing tends to be a bit cheaper than in Munster, and you will be able to find houses with better yards than in Munster. Also, since commutes are not a concern I would suggest you look into Crown Point as well. A bit farther out (but by no means isolated), but a beautiful town with an equally as good school system with many houses in your price range. Regardless of what town you choose, you should easily be able to find a nice house in your price range anywhere in Northwest Indiana. Good luck with your move!

Old 03-27-2019, 01:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll be taking a house scouting trip this weekend.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:35 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,936,234 times
Carmel is definitely better than NWI, but you are not part of the Chicago metro. Do you have a career that required you to be in Chicago?

Old 04-02-2019, 04:43 PM

Sorry about the late response as its been a busy week.
We took a tour of Munster, Highland, Whiting, Chesterton, Crown Point, and St John. After touring homes and speaking with residents of each community we decided on Crown Point and are in the process of closing on a home just across the street from Franciscan hospital.
Thanks for all the response and helpful information. you guys rock

Old 04-02-2019, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,512 times
Congratulations - best of luck!

Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Quote:
We took a tour of Munster, Highland, Whiting, Chesterton, Crown Point, and St John. After touring homes and speaking with residents of each community we decided on Crown Point and are in the process of closing on a home just across the street from Franciscan hospital.
Good for you! It’s my dream some day to get back to my Indiana roots and purchase a home near the lake, maybe Ogden Dunes or Dune Acres. NWI is still very much a hidden gem but becoming less so as it seems.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:35 PM

143 posts, read 217,661 times
Quote:
Awesome congratulations! Hope you enjoy your time here!

Old 04-20-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze55 View Post
Awesome congratulations! Hope you enjoy your time here!
Thanks! We've been in our new house for over a week now and we absolutely love it. We made the right decision and discovered 10 of our neighbors are from Illinois as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana