U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times

Advertisements

We have looked at homes in both Schererville (Fawn Valley) and St. John (various). We’ve been looking all over the area, but somehow feel as if these neighborhoods seem a little isolated. Are there any parks within any neighborhoods for kids to play at? Or maybe sidewalks/bike trails for them to get to other neighborhoods?

Schererville has a more ‘established’ feel to me, whereas St. John seems so new and looks like it has the possibility to be overbuilt. Am I way off?

We ideally want a fun neighborhood (for both us and our kids) with down to Earth people! We don’t want to spend over 600k. Does this exist?

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 08:39 AM

809 posts, read 2,190,620 times
As you might be able to tell from my username, I live in Schererville and am very familiar with St. John as well. Another couple posters on here are either familiar with or live in these towns as well. The two towns are mostly a collection of distinct subdivisions. If you're used to smaller lots and 10 out of 10 scores for walk-ability coming from LaGrange (per your profile), these towns are different. You're also right that Schererville is more established than St. John in terms of housing and general development. That could be a positive or negative depending on how you look at it. There are a few undeveloped areas in Schererville that might see some residential development and are currently seeing it, but for the most part the town is built out. St John is a far way from that and is seeing massive amounts of new housing construction.

I agree with you that it's odd that not all of these new beautiful subdivisions that will inherently have a lot of kids don't all have parks. Many do, some don't, just have to find the right ones and there's probably too many to list here for those that do. There are plenty of good options in the $400-$600k range with parks nearby. Good luck with your search!

Old 06-02-2019, 07:14 PM

11,584 posts, read 5,869,117 times
I live in St. John. We moved here from the Western Suburbs of Illinois three years ago. Our subdivision has a ton of families. There's a good 30 kids just on my block alone! We do not have a park in our subdivision, but there is one in walking distance and I know of many parks in our town. There are many subdivisions that also have walking trails. I would find a realtor that is from the area to help you find exactly what you're looking for because they will know where to find it. Depending on what type of home you are looking for, you can easily find a home under $600k here.

St. John still has a lot of land to build. The town splits between two different school districts though. Hanover is for the Southern part of St. John and Lake Central is the Northern part. You will want to consider that as the two districts are very different. Hanover is a smaller district, but growing rapidly with the influx of new homes being built. Lake Central is quite large, but has already seen the majority of growth. Hanover pulls kids from St. John, Cedar Lake and part of Crown Point. Lake Central is St. John, Schererville, Dyer and a part of Crown Point.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:41 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,100,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I live in St. John. We moved here from the Western Suburbs of Illinois three years ago. Our subdivision has a ton of families. There's a good 30 kids just on my block alone! We do not have a park in our subdivision, but there is one in walking distance and I know of many parks in our town. There are many subdivisions that also have walking trails. I would find a realtor that is from the area to help you find exactly what you're looking for because they will know where to find it. Depending on what type of home you are looking for, you can easily find a home under $600k here.

St. John still has a lot of land to build. The town splits between two different school districts though. Hanover is for the Southern part of St. John and Lake Central is the Northern part. You will want to consider that as the two districts are very different. Hanover is a smaller district, but growing rapidly with the influx of new homes being built. Lake Central is quite large, but has already seen the majority of growth. Hanover pulls kids from St. John, Cedar Lake and part of Crown Point. Lake Central is St. John, Schererville, Dyer and a part of Crown Point.
Just wanted to add that LC includes a small portion of Griffith too (we all seem to forget but that part of Griffith has seen more growth recently with the new subdivision there, Trail Creek).

Old 06-15-2019, 12:24 AM

91 posts, read 91,122 times
I agree with all of the posters above - Schererville is a more-developed town, and St. John is newer and younger (not necessarily saying this in terms of demographics, but real estate). Fawn Valley in Schererville is a newer subdivision, and it's located within another subdivision (Camden Woods) and connected to Autumn Creek. In Autumn Creek, there is a small park for the kids to play at, but it's a couple blocks away from the subdivision of Fawn Valley. As svillechris said, Schererville is essentially "built out" with a few developing areas. However, St. John is, and will be for several more years, seeing new residential construction. In fact, there's a new subdivision - the Continental, a Schilling Development - that was just approved in St. John. This is one of many.

For your price range, there are many beautiful homes that would fit your needs perfectly. There are many subdivisions that would suit your wants, too. I'd consider taking a ride - if at all possible - to get a feel for the subdivisions. Travel by at dusk, at dawn, during the day - whenever. I'd also expand your search to Dyer, which is also served by the Lake Central School Corporation. The LCSC is one of the largest in the area, but is also very strong academically and in extracurriculars. For bike paths, Schererville has the Pennsy Greenway Trail.

Good luck with your home search!

Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 AM

283 posts, read 474,223 times
Walkability is definitely not a strong point of either Schererville or St. John, neither in my opinion is good town planning. Once St. John is fully built out I think it is going to be an absolute traffic nightmare, as it's already starting to get there. Those two are of course related. You might find a subdivision with a park and nice sidewalks, but you will be hard pressed to find a subdivision with sidewalks that lead out of it to somewhere else. Expect to spend much time carting your kids around by car.

If this sort of thing is very important to you, I would highly suggest looking in Munster as well. As an older community it has more of the traditional town planning elements that are lacking further south, such as more regularly gridded streets, sidewalk system, parks that are integrated with the neighborhood and schools that can be walked to. If you don't mind slightly older houses (1960s-80s), one of my favorite neighborhoods is I think referred to as Fairmeadow, which is roughly north of Fran-Lin Parkway, south of Schoon Ditch between Columbia Ave and White Oak. All three school levels are right there, it's easy access to Calument Ave and Ridge Road retail, and has a very established feel with mature trees and landscaping. The neighborhood has a very mixed demographic (which I prefer) with some original owners now at or beyond retirement age, and many being sold and filled with new families with kids due to it's proximity to the schools. If you are looking for something newer, you can go just south to White Oak Estates which isn't quite as well connected but still in the same area.

As far as your budget, assuming you are buying, not building and depending on your standards, you should be able to get a very nice quality home with 4 bedrooms or more for under 600k in all four communities that have been listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana