Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:41 AM

19 posts, read 21,392 times

Advertisements

We have some questions about these cities, trying to relocate from Norman OK. First, which city is the safest? Wr are a family of 2 young children, with intention to grow the family. TY in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 03:16 PM

93 posts, read 125,903 times
If you're planning on working, where will you be working? Chesterton is much farther away from Munster and Hammond, so if your commuting to the city, I would recommend staying in Lake County. I can recommend other cities to check out once I'm aware of what you're looking for!

What are you seeking in a neighborhood? Munster is close to many amenities and has beautiful, well-kept homes. Chesterton is beautiful, and is home to the Indiana Dunes, a National Park! Hammond is an older city with quick access to the highways.

For safety statistics, I would recommend checking out the Crime Statistics on this website. It will provide you with more detailed information than I can provide. Considering you have children, too, I would check out the local newspaper - The Northwest Indiana Times - and other sources of information for grades and statistics on the schools.

Welcome to Indiana!

Old 06-29-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
If you're planning on working, where will you be working? Chesterton is much farther away from Munster and Hammond, so if your commuting to the city, I would recommend staying in Lake County. I can recommend other cities to check out once I'm aware of what you're looking for!

What are you seeking in a neighborhood? Munster is close to many amenities and has beautiful, well-kept homes. Chesterton is beautiful, and is home to the Indiana Dunes, a National Park! Hammond is an older city with quick access to the highways.

For safety statistics, I would recommend checking out the Crime Statistics on this website. It will provide you with more detailed information than I can provide. Considering you have children, too, I would check out the local newspaper - The Northwest Indiana Times - and other sources of information for grades and statistics on the schools.

Welcome to Indiana!
Thank you so much for the thorough response! I'm applying for remote jobs, so commute won't be an issue except for the occasional visit to Chi town. However we do look for a safe child friendly community, with close proximity to pediatricians, doctors and hospitals. Living in a gorgeous, lush environment is also a priority, which was why we consider Chesterton.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:41 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
What is your reason for relocating? It doesn't sound as if it's job related. That might give people a better idea of what would work for you and your family. Since you have children Munster or Chesterton has the better school options.

If you've never visited NWI, I suggest you do. One town really runs into the next and only locals really know if they are in Hammond or Munster or Highland or Griffith or whatever. Case in point, we were in the area recently for a funeral. Husband, not a NWI native, said something about our hotel being in Highland. I said, "No. We're in Hammond. If you cross the street you're in Highland." He rolled his eyes

In general the area is not what I would ever describe as lush and gorgeous. At times one can literally see the air pollution. I'm not talking about the smoke stacks from the Mills or oil refinery. There will be a "cloud" one sees given the right weather. I was reminded of this on that recent visit. I often joke when we visit family in the area that it smells like home. There are places of beauty. Lake Michigan for example is stunning. There is nothing like standing on one of the beaches at a certain time of day and seeing the Chicago skyline. After decades of being away I still miss the Lake and the beaches. There are, of course, parks and spots with lush green and prairies.

The entire area will has plenty of doctors and hospitals. If you don't find one you like in your town, the next town is just as close.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:32 PM

93 posts, read 125,903 times
To piggy back off what the above commenter stated, I live in one town, my kids went to public school in another town, we shop in a third and fourth town and attend worship services in a fifth town. The proximity of all the towns is super close, especially in Lake County. Yes, what is your reason to relocate to NWI, assuming a remote job would allow you to live anywhere?

For a lush town, Chesterton is a great option! It has access to a lot of outdoor activities. Most of the more-developed towns will have lush areas with plenty of trees and greenery. Besides having a lush, safe area to live, what else is a priority?

I might recommend to further look at the Tri-Town area - Schererville, Dyer, St. John - or Crown Point or Valparaiso. While Valparaiso definitely has an advantage being close to Lake Michigan with the Dunes, the other towns have their own specific forms of lushness. Each of these towns also have quick and easy access to doctors. Most of my family's doctors aren't in the town we live, but in neighboring towns. This also showcases how close together everything really is. But even so, there will be amazing physicians in the town where you choose to live.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to reach out!

Old 07-02-2019, 01:04 PM

7 posts, read 9,799 times
Chesterton has a nice little downtown, close proximity to the lake and the dunes, less of a congested feel than Munster or Hammond. Farmland within 10 min of downtown. It is a bit far from the city - 1hr20 min on the South Shore train, unless you catch an express, one in the evening and one in the morning that takes 50 min - but given your flexibility that may not be an issue.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:33 AM

141 posts, read 217,393 times
Based on what you stated that you are looking for I would recommend Chesterton out of the 3 communities that you listed. It is right off I-94 so its a pretty easy drive to Chicago (except for rush hour), and access to the South Shore train. It's safe, relatively affordable and not as congested. Munster is expensive, higher taxes and much more congested. While there are some decent areas in Hammond, I would avoid that city because of the higher crime rates. I don't have kids, but from people that I know Chesterton and Munster would be the best option for schools.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 AM

5 posts, read 4,543 times
In the top 10, 5 of the safest places in the state are from NW IN: Dyer #1, St. John #3, Crown Point #4, Valparaiso #9, and Munster #10.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,736 times
Lived most of my 50 yrs in S. Hammond Forest neighborhood, its wasn't a bad place, but had to move because of the SCH schools were getting worse. Moved to Chesterton and it was like moving to another country. People were friendly, kids were polite and Duneland schools provided my kids a top notch education. New subdivisions are popping all around Ches., with a decent supply of older to very old homes. Ches is refusing to allow any big box (or even medium box) stores in town, so most shopping is done in Valpo, Portage, Mich City. Ches has 2 large grocery stores though.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Sorry that I didn't reply sooner! How kuch snow do you get in Chesterton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana