U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2019, 08:28 AM

12 posts, read 11,977 times

Advertisements

Hi we are considering a move from Colorado. Are there any small family oriented towns in the area that have a pretty main street and are low in crime AND drugs? We are concerned about what seems to be a drug problem plaguing indiana extra hard, but know you can't just read on the internet.

We will homeschool and our children are toddlers.

It really can be anywhere in Indiana it doesn't have to be in this area.

We are used to snow but read it can be very overcast? Is this true? Is it very windy here like Chicago?

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 08:59 PM

12,555 posts, read 11,452,339 times
Valparaiso.

But drugs are everywhere. I doubt there is anywhere in this country that doesn't have drug problems ... some places are just better at hiding it than others.

Not quite sure what you mean by overcast. This isn't the Pacific Northwest.

It's not overly windy in Chicago. And it's not overly windy in NWI.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:42 PM

6,477 posts, read 5,525,268 times
Agree, Valparaiso, great little downtown, close to the lake/beaches, low crime, good schools. A couple other options just outside of Indy would be Carmel or Zionsville.

Some complain of lack of sun here in the Winter, but I think it's more a factor of it getting dark so early. It gets dark here around 4:30pm in the heart of Winter because we're on the edge of the Central time zone. If that bothers you, you could skip up a bit to the Grand Rapids, MI area where you'd then be in the Eastern time zone and daylight is pushed up an hour. Indy is also in the Eastern time zone.

I'm not aware of any drug issues in these areas.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 07-26-2019 at 09:59 PM..

Old 07-29-2019, 01:04 PM

2,138 posts, read 5,106,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Agree, Valparaiso, great little downtown, close to the lake/beaches, low crime, good schools. A couple other options just outside of Indy would be Carmel or Zionsville.

Some complain of lack of sun here in the Winter, but I think it's more a factor of it getting dark so early. It gets dark here around 4:30pm in the heart of Winter because we're on the edge of the Central time zone. If that bothers you, you could skip up a bit to the Grand Rapids, MI area where you'd then be in the Eastern time zone and daylight is pushed up an hour. Indy is also in the Eastern time zone.

I'm not aware of any drug issues in these areas.
Carmel is far from a small town. It’s a wealthy suburban city of almost 100k people. Nevertheless, a very nice area. Zionsville in their downtown area definitely feels like a quaint upscale village but outside of that, it is mostly upscale suburbia and the population is about 25k.

Also, drug issues in central Indiana are pretty bad but worse in the southern parts of Indy and suburbs like Plainfield and Shelbyville. But really, drugs are in every corner of the state.

In NWI, other small towns would be places like Lowell, Hebron, Wheeler. Safe areas with decent schools (even though you will homeschool) but again, drugs will be present.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:25 AM

283 posts, read 476,323 times
I would add Chesterton to towns with Main Street town centers, though it's smaller and a little less vibrant than Valparaiso. The two are only 20 minutes apart, so you could also live in between.

Crown Point is also similar to Valparaiso with it's court house square, and small town feel.

I would say that the drug problem is in some sense sensationalized more in the state than it could or should be. This is not to say that there isn't a drug problem, and that it shouldn't be dealt with, but in any of these low crime areas the average person will never experience it first hand. Just be sure as in any place that you might live that you keep tabs on what your children are up to. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it; these places listed are among some of the safest in the state and have crime rates that are 1/3 or less of the national average.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:56 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,464,186 times
Lowell is a small town, but no real town center. Population is a bit over 9,000 last I checked.

Cedar Lake is also an option, with the bonus of a nice lake to use. No idea how many people live in Cedar Lake.

I currently live in Valparaiso and can highly recommend it. It has a nice downtown, with a pavilion area and the local population is a bit over 30,000 people. There is a farmers market on Saturday morning and on many weekends. In my opinion, Valparaiso has one of the best restaurant scenes in the area.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,362 times
Valparaiso isn’t really a small town in my opinion. I consider it to be a lovely little city with plenty to do, places to shop, most areas are nice, the crime rate is low and the schools are good but a town like DeMotte , for example is what I consider to be a small town. Located about 30 minutes southwest of Valpo the Population is around 4,500 , Very family oriented , very low crime rate, pretty streets simply a wonderful little community. Drugs are here as they are everywhere but definitely NOT a major problem especially compared to other cities in the NWI area. There’s not much diversity but that’s slowly changing as it is rapidly growing. There’s also Hebron, Kouts, wheeler or Winfield.

Last edited by JandMNWI; 08-01-2019 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: Thought of more to say

Old 08-01-2019, 07:14 AM

274 posts, read 394,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Cedar Lake is also an option, with the bonus of a nice lake to use. No idea how many people live in Cedar Lake.
Although Cedar Lake won't show up on anyone's radar as a larger town, they have recently approved over 1,000-1,500 new homes with numerous subdivisions going in. It's going to get very interesting in the next few years.

Unfortunately for us, I am opting out to move to the Valparaiso Area (upgrade to Wheeler or Valparaiso Schools instead of Hanover) considering the infrastructure just isn't there to support all the new builds.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:40 AM

24,748 posts, read 42,510,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
Although Cedar Lake won't show up on anyone's radar as a larger town, they have recently approved over 1,000-1,500 new homes with numerous subdivisions going in. It's going to get very interesting in the next few years.

Unfortunately for us, I am opting out to move to the Valparaiso Area (upgrade to Wheeler or Valparaiso Schools instead of Hanover) considering the infrastructure just isn't there to support all the new builds.
The infrastructure to support new construction is never adequate across the entire state. It’s like they approve things automatically without even considering existing road infrastructure in place.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:29 AM

274 posts, read 394,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The infrastructure to support new construction is never adequate across the entire state. It’s like they approve things automatically without even considering existing road infrastructure in place.
Not disagreeing with you at all - last year the overcrowded school system had to move their 5th grades (from Lincoln and Jane Ball) into the Middle School which is now at capacity.

Jane Ball is at capacity with K-4

With the amount of new subdivisions/homes being allowed in both St. John (hanover district) and Cedar Lake, I can see a huge influx of families with children buying these with the Illinois Flight. (guilty as well)

The referendum to build a new school to help create space was denied by the voters this past spring which will delay the entire process even further. I have no doubt eventually everything will even out and catch up, but at the risk of my children's school experience during their important growing years. I'll opt to send them to a system i know is not in such current heat.

Trailers are a real possibility and I just can't justify their growing years in that environment - not in the climate we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana