U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2019, 02:23 PM
 
158 posts, read 240,842 times
Reputation: 69

Advertisements

It’s going to be a gated community in St. John. Looks like it will be nice. Interesting St. John is marketed as the region’s most affluent area; thought Munster was.

Anyone know more about this development?

https://continentalstjohn.com/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2019, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
91 posts, read 91,455 times
Reputation: 113
They've begun excavating the land for the subdivision - 93rd is down to one lane. All of the information I know is from the website. I think it will be a great addition to St. John, and I'm excited to see its development!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 03:41 PM
 
2,136 posts, read 5,103,985 times
Reputation: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1064 View Post
It’s going to be a gated community in St. John. Looks like it will be nice. Interesting St. John is marketed as the region’s most affluent area; thought Munster was.

Anyone know more about this development?

https://continentalstjohn.com/
It will definitely be a nice development.


A lot of the marketing regarding Saint John is somewhat misleading in a way. For example, Schilling markets this subdivision as being 30 miles from downtown Chicago (more like 36 miles) and other subdivisions have been marketed in the same manner when they are even further.

Saint John was named the richest town in Indiana which is true if you keep it to “town” and within the population parameters. However, Carmel and a few other areas are wealthier and higher income than Saint John.

As far as Munster vs. Saint John, this is something that other folks love to bring up as sort of a “haha we are the new rich kids now!” in a way. Munster has more older and smaller housing stock than Saint John which makes the price of entry a bit lower and because most of the homes in Saint John are newer McMansions, the average home price is higher; however, it still remains that the same exact home will still likely cost more in Munster than in Saint John. Additionally, Munster also has a larger older population of retirees with homes paid off and not having high incomes due to being retired; but if you compare the overall wealth, Munster is still comparable. Saint John’s median family income is higher but the average family income in Munster is not that much lower than Saint John as of the last census and ACS survey. St. John is also more homogenous than Munster overall so for the larger socioeconomic diversity that Munster has, its wealth is still impressive and real estate still commands a high price due to school performance as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 05:53 AM
 
158 posts, read 240,842 times
Reputation: 69
@Northwest Indiana

Interesting insight on St. John/Munster comparison.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
It will definitely be a nice development.


A lot of the marketing regarding Saint John is somewhat misleading in a way. For example, Schilling markets this subdivision as being 30 miles from downtown Chicago (more like 36 miles) and other subdivisions have been marketed in the same manner when they are even further.

Saint John was named the richest town in Indiana which is true if you keep it to “town” and within the population parameters. However, Carmel and a few other areas are wealthier and higher income than Saint John.

As far as Munster vs. Saint John, this is something that other folks love to bring up as sort of a “haha we are the new rich kids now!” in a way. Munster has more older and smaller housing stock than Saint John which makes the price of entry a bit lower and because most of the homes in Saint John are newer McMansions, the average home price is higher; however, it still remains that the same exact home will still likely cost more in Munster than in Saint John. Additionally, Munster also has a larger older population of retirees with homes paid off and not having high incomes due to being retired; but if you compare the overall wealth, Munster is still comparable. Saint John’s median family income is higher but the average family income in Munster is not that much lower than Saint John as of the last census and ACS survey. St. John is also more homogenous than Munster overall so for the larger socioeconomic diversity that Munster has, its wealth is still impressive and real estate still commands a high price due to school performance as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 05:56 AM
 
158 posts, read 240,842 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
They've begun excavating the land for the subdivision - 93rd is down to one lane. All of the information I know is from the website. I think it will be a great addition to St. John, and I'm excited to see its development!
Definitely want to see this development evolves, considering it will be a gated community, a rarity in this area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2020, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
91 posts, read 91,455 times
Reputation: 113
Looks like things are moving along. The bridge is open and you can drive through phase 1 of the development. The landscaping looks like it will be very nice, and several lots have sold already. Excited to see its progress!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2020, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,584 posts, read 5,879,853 times
Reputation: 14778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
Looks like things are moving along. The bridge is open and you can drive through phase 1 of the development. The landscaping looks like it will be very nice, and several lots have sold already. Excited to see its progress!
Homes in St. John are already over priced, but people will continue to build here because the taxes are so much lower than Illinois. Homes that will be in The Continental would have taxes over 20K if they were built in Naperville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2020, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
91 posts, read 91,455 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Homes in St. John are already over priced, but people will continue to build here because the taxes are so much lower than Illinois. Homes that will be in The Continental would have taxes over 20K if they were built in Naperville.
Yes, that seems to be the trend when people are looking to build in Indiana vs. Illinois! It will be interesting to how the remaining phases continue!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2022, 05:07 AM
 
2,136 posts, read 5,103,985 times
Reputation: 1543
Default What’s going on?

The roads have been in place for almost two years now and there still have not been any homes constructed (well except the one home off Patterson St that has driveway access through this subdivision via Summit Cv).

I wonder what is going on? I know that there isn’t a timeline for when lot owners have to build but I find it strange that not one home has been constructed here yet. In Park West (Munster) several more new homes have been constructed in that time with one or two of them being on combined lots as well!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2022, 04:56 AM
 
158 posts, read 240,842 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
The roads have been in place for almost two years now and there still have not been any homes constructed (well except the one home off Patterson St that has driveway access through this subdivision via Summit Cv).

I wonder what is going on? I know that there isn’t a timeline for when lot owners have to build but I find it strange that not one home has been constructed here yet. In Park West (Munster) several more new homes have been constructed in that time with one or two of them being on combined lots as well!
I came back to this thread to ask the exact same question: Why has no construction started in this upscale development? It seems all other new area developments are flourishing with construction activity.

Perhaps those with local real estate insight can chime in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top