U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2019, 11:39 PM
 
2,133 posts, read 5,100,594 times
Reputation: 1543

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
I recently moved from Cedar Lake to Valparaiso partly because the area just didn't offer enough. One of the main reasons I don't understand why people are flocking to the new builds in St. John to pay the prices is what does it really have to offer? The small strip of Strack and Van Til (grocery) and Target is nothing to be excited about as they are found virtually anywhere. The abandoned K-Mart is such a sight for sore eyes and there's no plans to do anything with it. You really have to get out of town over to Crown Point or up to Schererville/Dyer to have the businesses for a night out.

Even with the "new development" in the works, i don't foresee a slew of new amazing restaurants or things to do. Yes, Chop House and St. John Malt Bros. are pretty awesome, but that's not enough variety for the "wealthiest town in Indiana" - (24/7 Wall St.) in my opinion.

I concur with the traffic flow for Wicker Ave (Rt. 41) as well. In order to visit that Schererville/Dyer area, you're sitting at too many stoplights for far to long to enjoy the area anymore. Yes, Whole Foods is awesome to have up there but man is it annoying to get to.

Ironically moving from Cedar Lake to Valparaiso literally made 0 impact on my commute time to Chicago... which is really weird. It feels that much farther away, yet no added minutes. I suppose winter will test that theory though.
Cedar Lake offers low taxes, cheaper new construction (as in cheaper than Munster or tri-town), and relatively safe areas with okay schools. Basically, for people fleeing a substandard south suburb of Chicago, Cedar Lake is a dream. For most others, it’s a very “meh” place lol. Cedar Lake is like Beverly Hills for most folks moving from places that are not so great. I do see CL getting better as more educated and higher-income residents move in but still, for me, it doesn’t have a lot to offer so I agree with you. But it’s not horrible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2019, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Valparaiso, IN
274 posts, read 394,328 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I will mention to be careful what school district you move into though. The Northern part of St. John is Lake Central schools which I have two children currently in. Lots of opportunities with class selections, sports, etc. Don't let the big high school scary you! Hanover school district serves the Southern part of St. John and the schools are over crowded and the tax payers voted against a referendum to build two new schools, so there will probably be students learning in trailers by next fall if it doesn't pass again. I have friends who have kids there so this is true! Even if you don't have kids it will affect your property value. Just do you homework on that one!
This is the exact MAIN reason we left in a hurry for this school year. I see some tough times with the influx. Even if the voter base can push through and get what they're asking, i hope it's enough infrastructure to support the continued growth in the first place.

And if/when they get the petition signed this year to get it again on the early voter's ballot, it's a few years out before they can have those buildings in place to teach in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Valparaiso, IN
274 posts, read 394,328 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Cedar Lake offers low taxes, cheaper new construction (as in cheaper than Munster or tri-town), and relatively safe areas with okay schools. Basically, for people fleeing a substandard south suburb of Chicago, Cedar Lake is a dream. For most others, it’s a very “meh” place lol. Cedar Lake is like Beverly Hills for most folks moving from places that are not so great. I do see CL getting better as more educated and higher-income residents move in but still, for me, it doesn’t have a lot to offer so I agree with you. But it’s not horrible.
I totally agree with you. And I moved there in the first place for those exact reasons you're listing.

What I'm confused about is how much these new homes in St. John are going for in relation. Even with lower taxes, the houses are still way too overpriced in the first place given what amenities are NOT there to begin with. Maybe it's the "if you built it they will come" mentality.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 03:42 PM
 
2,133 posts, read 5,100,594 times
Reputation: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
I totally agree with you. And I moved there in the first place for those exact reasons you're listing.

What I'm confused about is how much these new homes in St. John are going for in relation. Even with lower taxes, the houses are still way too overpriced in the first place given what amenities are NOT there to begin with. Maybe it's the "if you built it they will come" mentality.
Part of the reason for the price is because Saint John is really the last area that one could build a home and comfortably commute to Chicago from a reasonable driving distance and still be in a great area as far as safety and schools. Here is another thing to consider - because Saint John still has a decent amount of buildable land within LCSC, it makes it easier for people to justify building there to get the “name” if you will. There’s still plenty of lots to build in subdivisions like High Point Prairie and there’s newer subdivisions going in like Amberleigh Estates off 77th; however, Amberleigh is strictly Olthof so the options whole affordable will still be limited and High Point Prairie has stalled for a while and while construction is likely to pick up, some folks may not like the idea of building in what is now somewhat of a “dated” subdivision of early 2000s McMansions, although they are nice. As far as tri-town goes, Saint John is definitely getting all the love as far as publicity. Look at Schilling Development for example. They are directly marketing to former Illinois resident a if you look at their website and marketing materials but Dyer and Schererville has not been as strong with that marketing.

As an additional note - I have a prediction that although the east side of Cedar Lake is in CPCSC which is obviously higher rated than Hanover, I see the far western area of Cedar Lake (west of 41) taking off with more upscale development soon as the southern part of Saint John in Hanover Twp will be getting close to buildout in the next decade.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,584 posts, read 5,869,117 times
Reputation: 14778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Part of the reason for the price is because Saint John is really the last area that one could build a home and comfortably commute to Chicago from a reasonable driving distance and still be in a great area as far as safety and schools. Here is another thing to consider - because Saint John still has a decent amount of buildable land within LCSC, it makes it easier for people to justify building there to get the “name” if you will. There’s still plenty of lots to build in subdivisions like High Point Prairie and there’s newer subdivisions going in like Amberleigh Estates off 77th; however, Amberleigh is strictly Olthof so the options whole affordable will still be limited and High Point Prairie has stalled for a while and while construction is likely to pick up, some folks may not like the idea of building in what is now somewhat of a “dated” subdivision of early 2000s McMansions, although they are nice. As far as tri-town goes, Saint John is definitely getting all the love as far as publicity. Look at Schilling Development for example. They are directly marketing to former Illinois resident a if you look at their website and marketing materials but Dyer and Schererville has not been as strong with that marketing.

As an additional note - I have a prediction that although the east side of Cedar Lake is in CPCSC which is obviously higher rated than Hanover, I see the far western area of Cedar Lake (west of 41) taking off with more upscale development soon as the southern part of Saint John in Hanover Twp will be getting close to buildout in the next decade.
I will further add that the majority (not all) of people moving to the area are from Illinois and are moving here for lower taxes. If you build a home for say $400k, your taxes might be around $4k. That same house in Illinois would have taxes at $10k+. So yes, maybe for the "area" it seems overpriced to pay that for a home, but to people who were paying the insane Illinois property taxes it seems like a bargain and therefore they are willing to pay a higher price for a home and drive to a bit for amenities. So I predict more and more bigger homes being built.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2019, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Hammond
283 posts, read 474,223 times
Reputation: 293
We've spent quite a bit of time looking at new and existing houses for sale around Lake County in the last 3 years, and I just don't see St. John as overinflated in housing prices. You can get a new house for as little as $125 a square foot. It's nearly impossible for contractors to build any reasonable house for much cheaper than that and still turn a profit. Sure you are also seeing houses going for over $200 a square foot, but those houses are coming with much finer finishes and more custom layouts. I don't see it as Illinois residents are willing to pay more at all. It's that people with higher end tastes are creating a market for higher end homes that are selling for costs that are very reasonable for what they are.


I think where this perception of high prices is coming from is that much of our existing housing stock does not fetch those prices. That is, as I have observed is that most NWI houses, especially those built by the big builders in subdivisions actually depreciate in value over the first 20 years. When we were looking in Stonebridge for instance in Schererville, existing houses were selling for 80% of what they were built for in the early 2000s and 80% of what it would cost to build a new house. These areas with lots of construction are also more expensive simply because they are new.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top