U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 08:31 PM

11,584 posts, read 5,873,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang219 View Post
Thank you Ned B - I really appreciate the thorough response and Hoosier hospitality

We’ll check out Hammond, Munster and Crown Point and will take a family drive. We’ve been through Merrillville a bit on our way down to Indy so we’ve seen one of the main commercial areas. Valpo sounds like a great city but I think it’s just a little too far from the city for what we’re personally looking for.

Once again, I greatly appreciate the feedback!
If you have kids I wouldn't look at Hammond unless you're going to send them to private school! Many nice towns besides that have excellent schools as other have already suggested. For what you're looking for I'd suggest Crown Point. Being in NWI still gives you a close proximity to Chicago and all it offers including good jobs, but paying far less in taxes!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 857 times
Ive lived in Merrillville my whole and its been at a slow decline for a while now but I love it still. But at the current rate you will be just as bad as Gary in 5-10 yrs

Old 06-05-2020, 09:37 PM

233 posts, read 198,960 times
I grew up in NWI (Valparaiso actually), and later lived in Indianapolis for a number of years. I think you've gotten some great advise, and it sounds like you love Chicago, probably have lots of connections there, etc. Chicago has world class amenities, concerts, museums, parks, you name it for sure. And ties to an area and people are special. My dad lives in Valparaiso and loves it there (He's very connected to the University community in particular). I'd love to live closer to him. There is a lot to be said about being close to family.

I just wanted to add, though, that I personally found the Indianapolis area a joy to live in and preferred it to the Northwest Indiana area. Do realize, though, that I lived in Valparaiso, so travel all the way to Chicago was a long way. In Indianapolis there were so many cultural amenities that were just so close and easy to get to, so I participated in so many things. And traffic compared to Chicago was such a piece of cake. When a metro area has one million or more, for my family, we typically are really satisfied with the amenities -- theatre, zoo, concerts, sporting events, special conventions, etc. We've for job moves typically targeted smaller metro areas (one million to three million). It's just us and what we like, but we've preferred these areas to larger metro areas (too much traffic / congestion / just a crazier/busier vibe) and smaller metro areas (darling-vibrant communities, but lacking many of the cultural things we enjoy). Just call me a big fan of the Indy area.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:41 AM

3,991 posts, read 2,225,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
My husband and I moved from the northwest suburbs of Chicago to Northwest Indiana about 20 years ago, and we have never regretted that decision. My husband continues to commute to Chicago to work as well.

Central Indiana is a great area. I really love downtown Carmel, but, in my opinion, Indianapolis does not compare to Chicago. While NWI does not necessarily have the "feel" of many Chicago suburbs, its proximity to Chicago maintains its status as being a hot contender for people looking to move to Indiana from the Illinois suburbs.

When I think of a specific downtown area in NWI, Crown Point and Valparaiso come to mind. Granted, Valpo is a little farther from Chicago then CP, but it really depends on your preference. Munster, Schererville, Dyer, St. John, etc. offer great places to live. However, as mentioned above, these towns lack the amenities present in many Illinois suburbs. Thankfully, though, Chicago and the Illinois suburbs are just a drive away!

In my experience, many of my clients are Illinois residents moving to Indiana for cheaper taxes, but they're also looking to maintain residence close to Chicago in order to access the city's benefits. However, other clients are only looking in Illinois due to the amenities many of the Illinois suburbs offer that, as of right now, cannot necessarily be found in NWI.

You've received some great advice! Let me know if I can help in any further way!
What amenities are NWI suburbs missing?

Old 06-08-2020, 09:02 AM

8,905 posts, read 9,072,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
What amenities are NWI suburbs missing?
Trader Joe’s!!!

Old 06-09-2020, 05:47 AM

2,887 posts, read 6,344,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Trader Joe’s!!!
There are several in the Chicagoland area. Not a problem.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:51 PM

274 posts, read 394,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
There are several in the Chicagoland area. Not a problem.
You can't honestly say that you'd gladly make the trip to Orland Park JUST to go to a grocery store... I find that I am able to schedule a stop at the Roosevelt St or Orland Park locations when I am already going to be in the area. But my time out in those areas are few and far between these days (especially given the current state of the COVID pandemic).

Trader Joe's deserves to be in the NWI sector, just as Whole Foods finally made the plunge. I wonder what their margins are compared to other locations.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:26 AM

2,887 posts, read 6,344,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
You can't honestly say that you'd gladly make the trip to Orland Park JUST to go to a grocery store... I find that I am able to schedule a stop at the Roosevelt St or Orland Park locations when I am already going to be in the area. But my time out in those areas are few and far between these days (especially given the current state of the COVID pandemic).

Trader Joe's deserves to be in the NWI sector, just as Whole Foods finally made the plunge. I wonder what their margins are compared to other locations.

I would make the drive to shop at Trader Joes. It's not "just a grocery store".

I do agree that NWI needs their own store tho.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:03 PM

8,905 posts, read 9,072,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post

Yeah... I agree. But Trader Joe’s doesn’t deserve NWI. NWI deserves Trader Joe’s. I’m not aware of any other area in the country that has a Whole Foods but not a Trader Joe’s.

If Wichita, Kansas can get a TJ’s, NWI certainly can.

Part of me wonders if it’s because NWI is already saturated with grocery stores. But I also think their cachet is strong enough that it wouldn’t be an issue at all.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:19 PM

24,704 posts, read 42,454,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah... I agree. But Trader Joe’s doesn’t deserve NWI. NWI deserves Trader Joe’s. I’m not aware of any other area in the country that has a Whole Foods but not a Trader Joe’s.

If Wichita, Kansas can get a TJ’s, NWI certainly can.

Part of me wonders if it’s because NWI is already saturated with grocery stores. But I also think their cachet is strong enough that it wouldn’t be an issue at all.
I think TJ's would target southern Lake County or Porter County. They tend to specifically target above the median household income demographic areas to open new stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana