U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2020, 07:44 PM

8,901 posts, read 9,062,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think TJ's would target southern Lake County or Porter County. They tend to specifically target above the median household income demographic areas to open new stores.
I mean... Schererville would be the no brainer for me. For the same reasons WF chose it. High traffic, big commercial area, easier to get to from the more affluent areas in southern Lake and Porter Counties as well as the south burbs in IL.

People wanted WF and TJ’s in Valpo, and while that would be nice, it doesn’t really make sense. Valpo is too isolated and not large enough. But people in Valpo definitely do go to the Schererville Whole Foods and would also go to TJ’s if it were there. Orland is just not worth the drive from Porter County if that’s the only purpose. But Lake County would be.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 07:55 PM

For the record, I actually like Whole Foods much, much better than TJ’s. Way better selection and just a better overall shopping experience and much better selection of fresh items, and their hot bar/salad bar is nothing short of amazing. So I feel like WF was a bigger win for NWI. But... Trader Joe’s has a few items I’m very loyal to and can’t get anywhere else, and the prices are so good. I know a lot of people feel that way.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:10 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,342,117 times
Valpo isn't that far of a drive from Lake County. Trader Joe's is worth it for me.

Schererville''s traffic is a pain in the butt.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Valpo isn't that far of a drive from Lake County. Trader Joe's is worth it for me.

Schererville''s traffic is a pain in the butt.
Yeah, but Trader Joe’s likes high traffic areas. Their business model is really based on being a small market that is always busy where people are constantly coming in and out. They make their money on high volume, which is part of why they can offer lower prices.

I really do think Schererville is the prime area for that in NWI.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:59 AM

158 posts, read 239,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
My husband and I moved from the northwest suburbs of Chicago to Northwest Indiana about 20 years ago, and we have never regretted that decision. My husband continues to commute to Chicago to work as well.

Central Indiana is a great area. I really love downtown Carmel, but, in my opinion, Indianapolis does not compare to Chicago. While NWI does not necessarily have the "feel" of many Chicago suburbs, its proximity to Chicago maintains its status as being a hot contender for people looking to move to Indiana from the Illinois suburbs.

When I think of a specific downtown area in NWI, Crown Point and Valparaiso come to mind. Granted, Valpo is a little farther from Chicago then CP, but it really depends on your preference. Munster, Schererville, Dyer, St. John, etc. offer great places to live. However, as mentioned above, these towns lack the amenities present in many Illinois suburbs. Thankfully, though, Chicago and the Illinois suburbs are just a drive away!

In my experience, many of my clients are Illinois residents moving to Indiana for cheaper taxes, but they're also looking to maintain residence close to Chicago in order to access the city's benefits. However, other clients are only looking in Illinois due to the amenities many of the Illinois suburbs offer that, as of right now, cannot necessarily be found in NWI.

You've received some great advice! Let me know if I can help in any further way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Trader Joe’s!!!
And Mariano’s.

Basically take a drive on Rt. 45 in Orland Park’s vast retail corridor, and you’ll see what’s missing in the NWI suburbs.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:31 AM

2,985 posts, read 2,602,269 times
How would you compare Mariano's and Strack & Van Til?

Old 02-03-2021, 02:15 AM

2,773 posts, read 2,635,356 times
Quote:
I mean... Schererville would be the no brainer for me. For the same reasons WF chose it. High traffic, big commercial area, easier to get to from the more affluent areas in southern Lake and Porter Counties as well as the south burbs in IL.

People wanted WF and TJ’s in Valpo, and while that would be nice, it doesn’t really make sense. Valpo is too isolated and not large enough. But people in Valpo definitely do go to the Schererville Whole Foods and would also go to TJ’s if it were there. Orland is just not worth the drive from Porter County if that’s the only purpose. But Lake County would be.
I'm really surprised Trader Joe's doesn't already have a NWI location somewhere, myself. Yeah, you think they'd have at least one location in say either Schererville, or say somewhere in Merrillville or Hobart. Also you probably could argue average income in Valpo might be high enough, to support a TJ's store.

And as for Orland Park, they do have some unique businesses you can't find elsewhere. And I'd argue a la Schaumburg for the northwest suburbs, that Orland is the main retail hub in the southwest suburbs. I.e. Darvin Furniture, Von Maur, Trader Joe's(at least till they build one in NWI), etc. I would agree that someone in say like Valpo probably wouldn't make the drive to Orland much if ever, but if they were closer like Dyer or Munster I could see them more willing to occasionally go over to Orland.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
How would you compare Mariano's and Strack & Van Til?
The Marianos I’ve been to have been quite upscale and very nice in terms of selection. I would say Strack’s is a notch or so below that.

That being said, the Strack’s I’ve been to (Chesterton and Valpo) have been majorly upgraded from when they were WiseWays (I used to be a cashier at the Valpo WiseWay a lifetime ago). I was fairly impressed with it, but I wouldn’t say it’s on par with Mariano’s which seems bigger and nicer overall.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:22 PM

91 posts, read 90,856 times
Quote:
The Marianos I’ve been to have been quite upscale and very nice in terms of selection. I would say Strack’s is a notch or so below that.

That being said, the Strack’s I’ve been to (Chesterton and Valpo) have been majorly upgraded from when they were WiseWays (I used to be a cashier at the Valpo WiseWay a lifetime ago). I was fairly impressed with it, but I wouldn’t say it’s on par with Mariano’s which seems bigger and nicer overall.
I would agree with this. I think Mariano's is more expensive, but I don't think there's necessarily a huge difference in food quality. Mariano's might have more of a selection in some departments. I'd be happy with either one.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
I would agree with this. I think Mariano's is more expensive, but I don't think there's necessarily a huge difference in food quality. Mariano's might have more of a selection in some departments. I'd be happy with either one.
Yeah... the selection at Mariano’s is really good. I’m back in Chicago/Indiana 3-4 times a year (Flying there tomorrow just in time for the polar vortex!) and I honestly haven’t paid much attention to prices like I do at home probably because I’m in travel mode, so I’ll take your word for it. One thing I noticed the last time I was back was that Strack’s has really upped their game with organic/healthy/plant-based products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana