Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 05:47 PM

255 posts, read 407,205 times

Advertisements

Is Cedar Lake becoming more desirable as time goes on? When I was growing up, it felt more like Lowell culturally, but that has obviously changed as the population has grown. I hear a mix of different things about Hanover Community Schools (west of Cline Ave) but obviously lots of great things about Crown Point Community School Corp (east of Cline Ave). It's in a decent spot near the state line.

For those that live in/around Cedar Lake and/or have family there, where are people moving to Cedar Lake coming from? Are they coming from Dyer/St John/Schererville, Highland, places in Illinois like Crete, Monee, and Beecher, or elsewhere?

Interested to hear your thoughts on the town, its desirability, and its growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 09:09 AM

811 posts, read 2,323,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Is Cedar Lake becoming more desirable as time goes on? When I was growing up, it felt more like Lowell culturally, but that has obviously changed as the population has grown. I hear a mix of different things about Hanover Community Schools (west of Cline Ave) but obviously lots of great things about Crown Point Community School Corp (east of Cline Ave). It's in a decent spot near the state line.

For those that live in/around Cedar Lake and/or have family there, where are people moving to Cedar Lake coming from? Are they coming from Dyer/St John/Schererville, Highland, places in Illinois like Crete, Monee, and Beecher, or elsewhere?

Interested to hear your thoughts on the town, its desirability, and its growth.
I know a number of people who have lived in Cedar Lake or currently live there. The feedback is mixed. The school district maps are funky, and that cuts into the sense of community. When you think of Cedar Lake most people think of Hanover Schools, myself included. But basically half of the town is within the Crown Point school district. Hanover is not really the Cedar Lake school district, but instead its the West Cedar Lake plus Southern tip of St. John school district. Some people love the district (referring to Hanover here) and most times mention that it's not as big as CP or LC. Others think the schools are solid, but lag behind the aforementioned neighboring districts. Some people say they like the smaller town rural feel, but many have claimed that's quickly disappearing. No data to support this, but my experience is that there are more people coming from other parts of Lake County going to Cedar Lake than there are people from Illinois, though I'm sure there are plenty from Illinois too. One thing that I think may be holding certain buyers from moving to Cedar Lake aside from the issues I've already mentioned is the housing stock. To my knowledge there really aren't many upscale homes at $500k or more like there are in neighboring St. John or Crown Point. If there are, it's because they're lakefront properties and not in a family friendly subdivision. Cedar Lake seems to be a mix of either older somewhat run down homes combined with very new, somewhat cookie cutter homes with the sweet spot of $250k-300k. Granted, there's a huge appetite for those homes and thus the growth. I think Cedar Lake will continue to grow but will be more aligned culturally and statistically with Lowell than CP or St John. All in all, a fine place to live and raise a family.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I know a number of people who have lived in Cedar Lake or currently live there. The feedback is mixed. The school district maps are funky, and that cuts into the sense of community. When you think of Cedar Lake most people think of Hanover Schools, myself included. But basically half of the town is within the Crown Point school district. Hanover is not really the Cedar Lake school district, but instead its the West Cedar Lake plus Southern tip of St. John school district. Some people love the district (referring to Hanover here) and most times mention that it's not as big as CP or LC. Others think the schools are solid, but lag behind the aforementioned neighboring districts. Some people say they like the smaller town rural feel, but many have claimed that's quickly disappearing. No data to support this, but my experience is that there are more people coming from other parts of Lake County going to Cedar Lake than there are people from Illinois, though I'm sure there are plenty from Illinois too. One thing that I think may be holding certain buyers from moving to Cedar Lake aside from the issues I've already mentioned is the housing stock. To my knowledge there really aren't many upscale homes at $500k or more like there are in neighboring St. John or Crown Point. If there are, it's because they're lakefront properties and not in a family friendly subdivision. Cedar Lake seems to be a mix of either older somewhat run down homes combined with very new, somewhat cookie cutter homes with the sweet spot of $250k-300k. Granted, there's a huge appetite for those homes and thus the growth. I think Cedar Lake will continue to grow but will be more aligned culturally and statistically with Lowell than CP or St John. All in all, a fine place to live and raise a family.
In contrast, I could see plenty of Crown Point area buyers or those moving from Illinois picking the east side of Cedar Lake because of Crown Point Community School Corp and it would be cheaper to live in Cedar Lake on the east side as opposed to many new subdivisions in Crown Point.

Hanover as a district is really booming with enrollment growth, I expect that to continue with those from other parts of Lake County as well as Illinois transplants moving in. The Hanover Twp part of St John is really booming right now, over by Midwest Ice Arena.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:01 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,607,040 times
As usual, a lot of the issues with places like Cedar Lake or Lowell is location. These towns are further south than places like Dyer and Munster.

I know a number of people who live in these areas. A common complaint is the drive for those who work further north. A second complaint from those same people is the traffic as they try to get north to their jobs.

The towns are reasonable places to live.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
As usual, a lot of the issues with places like Cedar Lake or Lowell is location. These towns are further south than places like Dyer and Munster.

I know a number of people who live in these areas. A common complaint is the drive for those who work further north. A second complaint from those same people is the traffic as they try to get north to their jobs.

The towns are reasonable places to live.
Cedar Lake is barely further south than Crown Point. The east side of Cedar Lake goes to Crown Point Community School Corporation, which is insanely desirable. I think the past perception of Cedar Lake being a hick town has had an impact. Cedar Lake is really growing now, both on the Hanover side and the CP side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana