Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,415 times

Advertisements

My fiancee is a Journeymen/Electrician working in Gary, Indiana thru 10/08. We need 2 find a house or apt. to rent from June-Oct. '08. It's just the two of us...no pets or children. He doesn't want to live in Gary...maybe Merrillville. I've looked online and Hickory Ridge Lake, Broadmoor CC, and Summer Wood Apts. in Mville all looked decent. Any suggestions on other rental properties in Mville or in a 10-20 mile radius? Thanx 4 any info/tips to help us make an informed decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 06:25 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,708,607 times
What part of Gary?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:36 PM

863 posts, read 2,773,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melizzi View Post
My fiancee is a Journeymen/Electrician working in Gary, Indiana thru 10/08. We need 2 find a house or apt. to rent from June-Oct. '08. It's just the two of us...no pets or children. He doesn't want to live in Gary...maybe Merrillville. I've looked online and Hickory Ridge Lake, Broadmoor CC, and Summer Wood Apts. in Mville all looked decent. Any suggestions on other rental properties in Mville or in a 10-20 mile radius? Thanx 4 any info/tips to help us make an informed decision!
Check out the Mansards apartment complex in Griffith. It's a way less dangerous town right next to Gary.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 PM

Summerwood Apartments would be a good location. I wouldn't recommend Hickory Ridge.

The Mansards in Griffith have had a lot of problems over the last several years. I wouldn't recommend that complex at all.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,225,138 times
Many years ago my husband and I lived in the Broadmoor CC apts. They were nice then, but I think the golf course has closed down. It seemed so last time I drove through the area. I don't know if that has impacted the apts.

My advice, trust artemis on these things.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,306,777 times
I've heard Summerwood has been getting a lot worse as of late. I believe it's
apartmentratings.com where there are a lot of negative reviews about the place. I know someone who lived there and hated it.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Summerwood Apartments would be a good location. I wouldn't recommend Hickory Ridge.

The Mansards in Griffith have had a lot of problems over the last several years. I wouldn't recommend that complex at all.
My sister lives in the Mansards, and I visit pretty frequently since I don't live far away. Her unit is great. Before she moved in, we both called the police department to get the crime stats. It's not a bad place at all.

I've heard lots of bad things about Summerwood, but I haven't done any research or visited so I can't comment on that.

Last edited by skyeINIL; 05-14-2008 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 PM

My Father-in-Law lived at the Mansards. The apartments themselves are ok. Its what goes on out in the parking lot that isn't wonderful. We moved him out of there into a safe neighborhood.

I think the last time I was out by Broadmoor, they had torn down the clubhouse. I went to quite a few baby/wedding showers there. I wonder what happened?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
My Father-in-Law lived at the Mansards. The apartments themselves are ok. Its what goes on out in the parking lot that isn't wonderful. We moved him out of there into a safe neighborhood.
Like I said, from recent personal visits coupled with advice from the Griffith police department, in my opinion, it's not a bad place. In the dozen or so times that I've been there (even leaving very late a few times), I've seen nothing dangerous or anything going on in the parking lot. My sister's only complaint is that some of her fellow tenants have a problem with putting their garbage in the bins as opposed to laying it around on the ground outside the garbage. Maybe the problems you're talking about have been taken care of?

The OP can take our opinions and, hopefully, couple it with personal research and visits and see for himself which of these places he's comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana